Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

Cockrell the Free Safety

23 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I think Hurndog needs to get a FA ASAP.

We have the cap, safety is a hole.  I'm also worried about our depth in the secondary.  The drop off is soooo steep.

Edited by Manther
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Manther said:

We have the cap, it is a whole.  I'm also worried about our depth in the secondary.  The drop off is soooo steep.

Agree...Hurney is being hardheaded on this one.

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Agree...Hurney is being hardheaded on this one.

I'm not sure its Hurney.  He had no problem bringing Searcy and Cockrell in last year, and injuries just derailed it.  We've let Searcy go, I'll bet money Hurney is looking.  There's time...we'll see.  He might be waiting to see who all gets injured in camp, we get a lot of those unfortunately.

Edited by Manther

12 minutes ago, Manther said:

I'm not sure its Hurney.  He had no problem bringing Searcy and Cockrell in last year, and injuries just derailed it.  We've let Searcy go, I'll bet money Hurney is looking.  There's time...we'll see.  He might be waiting to see who all gets injured in camp, we get a lot of those unfortunately.

Good point

At this point I'll be surprised if we make a move until other teams start making cuts. We had to know we were vulnerable at safety before now so if we were interested in any of the currently available safeties I would think that they would've already been brought in.

48 minutes ago, Manther said:

I think the Gaulden evals have extended way beyond opening day.

Opening days of camp.  Projecting starters and careers at this point only serves to fan the typical mindless debates.

There must be some intelligent analysis somewhere?

Gotta keep our eyes open at some teams that have a young safety coming up where a veteran might get cut

11 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

There must be some intelligent analysis somewhere?

Not in your posts

If Cockrell isn't gonna be the nickel and guys like Seymour and Elder are getting many snaps we'll continue to get gashed by good QB's even with an improved pass rush

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, we did it with Norman. He tested out as a subpar athlete but he obviously had a drive and the instincts and ball skills to more than make up for it. We also drafted him in the 5th round. That's more in line with where you want to take a shot on guys like that.

Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor measured as subpar athletes and the Seahawks took both in the 5th. Brandon Browner was a UDFA. The Seahawks aren't risking high picks on these types of guys like we do. I'm sure they've missed on some but no one really remembers because they weren't overdrafted.

Also, no position swap requested, if you're gonna take a questionable player, at the very least keep him at the position he played. Unless there is a clear lateral move (ie: Tackle to Guard)

3 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Team drills. Ross Cockrell at first team safety with Reid; Cole Luke at nickel.

things are not boding well for Gaulden at any position.

Gaulden isn't even playing the nickel position like Rivera wanted him to this offseason. May Gaulden be the surprise vet cut? Everyone knew it was a bad pick the moment it happened. Why didn't our coaches?

Just now, KillerKat said:

Gaulden isn't even playing the nickel position like Rivera wanted him to this offseason. May Gaulden be the surprise vet cut? Everyone knew it was a bad pick the moment it happened. Why didn't our coaches?

If Gaulden doesn't take a significant step forward would he even qualify as a surprise cut?

So the staff is trying to fix the problem before the season starts by putting a guy that is coming back from injury into a position he has never played before? 

Normally I'd be outraged by something like this but I have so much faith in the front seven to generate a consistent and ruthless pass rush that the news of Cockrell making the switch to Safety really doesn't concern me.