Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

g5jamz

California to ban use of facial recognition on police body cameras

20 minutes ago, TPanther920 said:

I have never had a problem with Stop and Frisk. 

I expected as much.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, TPanther920 said:

I have never had a problem with Stop and Frisk. 

Further confirmation that you're an awful human being. 

Edited by jayflip

Of course racist cops think broken windows policing and targeting black people for no reason is perfectly fine

Yike, could you right wingers be any more anti-freedom and pro-fascism

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Of course racist cops think broken windows policing and targeting black people for no reason is perfectly fine

don't confuse freedom with lawlessness, anarchy, or being anti-fascist. 

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

We all know you hate the Police and our laws

Just now, bull123 said:

We all know you hate the Police and our laws

I hate you and your nazi brethren

Go eat paste

• Pie 1

Also funny, bull thinks people being against harassment and violation of civil rights is being pro lawlessness. Shows what you think the purpose of police is--to harass black people

Both of you can eat poo

• Beer 1

On 9/17/2019 at 9:51 PM, rodeo said:

because, mr. "i need government to be my mommy," the police do not have a right to know your identity by default just because they looked at you.

not only should facial recognition be banned but there are 2 other very important things that must happen immediately.

1. the body cams cannot ever turned off, and if their camera is disconnected or covered in the line of duty, they're fired. 2. police wear trackers that monitor their location and records audio at all times while they are on duty.

these are the first 2 bare minimum reforms that need to happen before they even get consideration for expanding their capabilities.

I get your two "important things", but what happens in the event of say, body cam battery malfunction, faulty camera in general, or if an officer fights somebody and the camera dislodges itself with other gear during that scuffle? There are some reasonable ways in which those things can occur, and a blanket "if it disconnects or becomes covered, you're fired" won't work.

HOWEVER, I can agree that purposefully obscuring or removing the body cam should lead to firing, given its intent would be to obstruct justice. Also, running body cam 24 hours isn't possible due to storage costs of that footage. Sure, larger cities might be able to swing it, but the vast majority of agencies won't be able to afford storage for even just the current "turn camera on for contacts with the public" protocol (hence why some still don't have cameras). It costs tens of millions. It's not cheap, and it has to be kept for a specified amount of time if I'm not mistaken before it can be legally disposed of. If you want to keep them forever? Yeah, impossible unless you really start throwing money at police budgets, which will obviously detract from other public goods.

On OP, facial recognition doesn't need to happen for all the obvious Constitutional reasons.

7 hours ago, lightsout said:

Also, running body cam 24 hours isn't possible due to storage costs of that footage Sure, larger cities might be able to swing it, but the vast majority of agencies won't be able to afford storage for even just the current "turn camera on for contacts with the public" protocol (hence why some still don't have cameras). It costs tens of millions.

Maybe these cameras cost 10’s of millions but storage does not. 

They only record up to 1080p, they have 64G of storage. 1080p = 1.5G(seems about right for those cameras and codex) an hour. You do the math.

3.5T per year per officer. You can buy a 4TB drive for 89-100 bucks. 

Edited by Harbingers

9 hours ago, lightsout said:

I get your two "important things", but what happens in the event of say, body cam battery malfunction, faulty camera in general, or if an officer fights somebody and the camera dislodges itself with other gear during that scuffle? There are some reasonable ways in which those things can occur, and a blanket "if it disconnects or becomes covered, you're fired" won't work.

what happens if i have a catastrophic fug up at my job? i find another job. police don't need special protection from having to find another line of work if they fail.

9 hours ago, lightsout said:

or if an officer fights somebody

Is this the way cops think? 

1 hour ago, rodeo said:

what happens if i have a catastrophic fug up at my job? i find another job. police don't need special protection from having to find another line of work if they fail.

Those wouldn't be fug ups on the part of the officer though is my point. That poo can just happen to somebody. You're wanting 24/7 surveillance on cops, 1) you're gonna be bored as poo at the reality and 2) you're going to make it an even more ridiculously hard job to fill because people aren't going to want to work a career where you can be fired for a technical issue not caused by you in any capacity.

1 hour ago, Fryfan said:

Is this the way cops think? 

Ok, bare with me. You see man on top of woman at the roadside, punching and choking her. You rip him off her, he starts swinging on you wildly. Radio becomes dislodged, pens go flying, etc. Or say you tell a person they have warrants and they then start swinging at you trying to get away as you're grabbing their arm to put them into handcuffs.

Cameras are often attached to either glasses frames or shirt lapels. They can and do come off involuntarily.

Situations like the above can be found on YouTube easily.

I'm not saying this to argue against body cams (I think they're good and everybody should have them), or to argue against accountability for tampering with them. I am arguing against people who don't understand the reality of what body cams are and if you think that's stupid of me, I don't know what else to tell you

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Maybe these cameras cost 10’s of millions but storage does not. 

They only record up to 1080p, they have 64G of storage. 1080p = 1.5G(seems about right for those cameras and codex) an hour. You do the math.

3.5T per year per officer. You can buy a 4TB drive for 89-100 bucks. 

You're looking at roughly $10,000 per hundred officers per year. $7.5 billion for all officers in the US annually.