Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Missing Practice (not just Newton)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Cam has had a nice career here to earn that cash

 

What has Gaulden done other than Hurney reaching and picking him in the 3rd round?

Do you understand the insinuation behind the phrase “just cashing checks”? When you say someone is just “cashing checks”, the implication is that they just don’t give a sh&$. Tell me what Rashaan Gaulden of his $800,000/year rookie contract has done to warrant that kind of stigma? If Hurney reached and made a poor pick, why the resentment towards Gaulden?

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How many snaps, though?

Impossible to say whether or not that has anything to do with injury, especially as a roatational player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Do you understand the insinuation behind the phrase “just cashing checks”? When you say someone is just “cashing checks”, the implication is that they just don’t give a sh&$. Tell me what Rashaan Gaulden of his $800,000/year rookie contract has done to warrant that kind of stigma? If Hurney reached and made a poor pick, why the resentment towards Gaulden?

Yeah, I oftentimes don't understand the resentment toward players that don't work out. Armanti Edwards, Jimmy Clausen, Amini Silatolu - all undoubtedly terrible picks but all indications are that those guys worked hard and did everything the coaches asked of them, they just weren't good enough. That's not their fault. All a player can do is work and be coachable. If that isn't enough, it's on the talent evaluators and/or coaching staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I oftentimes don't understand the resentment toward players that don't work out. Armanti Edwards, Jimmy Clausen, Amini Silatolu - all undoubtedly terrible picks but all indications are that those guys worked hard and did everything the coaches asked of them, they just weren't good enough. That's not their fault. All a player can do is work and be coachable. If that isn't enough, it's on the talent evaluators and/or coaching staff.

Have you seen this team play the last two weeks.. I would say a majority of our players don’t care whatsoever about winning or playing hard and are just here to get a paycheck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PanthersNC1984 said:

Have you seen this team play the last two weeks.. I would say a majority of our players don’t care whatsoever about winning or playing hard and are just here to get a paycheck 

We've lost two competitive one possession football games despite having an atrocious OL and a QB badly hampered by injury. I don't blew player effort. Cam is hurt. The left side of the OL simply is not talented enough. And the defense ends up getting stuck out on the field for the majority of the game.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We've lost two competitive one possession football games despite having an atrocious OL and a QB badly hampered by injury. I don't blew player effort. Cam is hurt. The left side of the OL simply is not talented enough. And the defense ends up getting stuck out on the field for the majority of the game.

Roman Harper said 65% of the players in any locker room love the game. The rest look at it as just a job.

I imagine some coaches and GMs consider that in their player evaluation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Roman Harper said 65% of the players in any locker room love the game. The rest look at it as just a job.

I imagine some coaches and GMs consider that in their player evaluation.

I enjoy watching players who obviously love playing the game like Cam did before the injuries and Favre did before him. But, I get it. For some it's just a job. They happen to be really talented at football and they can make really good money playing the game. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter whether you're doing it primarily for the love of the game or for the love of the $$$, as long you're putting forth maximum effort I don't really care what motivates the player to do so. That's his business.

Honestly, I'm sure the same is true for a lot of high paying non-sports jobs too. A lot of doctors probably do what they do because they love it. Others do what they do because they knew it was a near guaranteed path to making good money. At the end of the day, their motivation doesn't really matter as long as they're dedicated to their craft.

Edited by LinvilleGorge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I enjoy watching players who obviously love playing the game like Cam did before the injuries and Favre did before him. But, I get it. For some it's just a job. They happen to be really talented at football and they can make really good money playing the game. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter whether you're doing it primarily for the love of the game or for the love of the $$$, as long you're putting forth maximum effort I don't really care what motivates the player to do so. That's his business.

Teams typically wine and dine free agents, but I remember a story of a particular free agent who straight up told the team that was hosting him "Hey, I don't care about any of that stuff. Just show me the money."

I don't remember who the player was, but it would have been post Jerry Maguire.

I know we all want guys who love being a Panther, but I imagine there are at least a few guys like that on our team too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Teams typically wine and dine free agents, but I remember a story of a particular free agent who straight up told the team that was hosting him "Hey, I don't care about any of that stuff. Just show me the money."

I don't remember who the player was, but it would have been post Jerry Maguire.

I know we all want guys who love being a Panther, but I imagine there are at least a few guys like that on our team too. 

Seems like every free agent talks about wanting to go to a winning team, but the vast majority interestingly enough sign with the highest bidder. You definitely see some vets take lesser deals to play for a contender, but especially guys in their prime tend to follow that $$$. It is what it is. It is a business after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Seems like every free agent talks about wanting to go to a winning team, but the vast majority interestingly enough sign with the highest bidder. You definitely see some vets take lesser deals to play for a contender, but especially guys in their prime tend to follow that $$$. It is what it is. It is a business after all.

You've heard the saying, and it's true.

Whenever they say it's not about the money, it's about the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are all the KK lovers now who made all those ‘he’s worth every penny of his top 3 DT contract’ now?

Dude literally doesn’t do poo after he gets paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...