Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Нина

N/P: Breaking News: Gov. Gavin Newsom of California will sign a bill to let college athletes make endorsement deals

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Got any evidence to back up your asinine claim about UNC homie? 

PS - You don’t. 

I have been involved in AAU basketball for a long time, so I definitely am aware that UNC engages in that sort of activity as well. Every single ACC school does. Some are dumb enough to do it directly but most let the boosters or shoe companies handle it. 

This has been going on for 30+ years, so anyone claiming to be shocked is not being honest. It's a direct result of athletes not getting a piece of the pie in a business that has grown to generate untold billions of dollars for those involved.

If you want that kind of thing to stop, the easiest way is to do something like California did. Allow these kids to make money off their likeness and actually get some of this money. It costs the schools nothing except maybe having to split some merchandising revenue, which they should have had to in the first place.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I don’t think comparing the NCAA model to slavery is very appropriate, but there is no doubt about it that the NCAA and schools exploit and profit off the college players - especially very marketable ones like Zion Williamson. Their could have been a video tape of Coach K handing Zion a duffel bag of cash and the NCAA wouldn’t have done anything about it. He was too valuable for their product and college basketball (especially ESPN). 

If you don’t like the word slavery I’ll happily use something else. Got a word that accurately describes an institutions control over whether or not someone can enter into endorsement deals in an ostensibly free society?

I’m all for players being fairly compensated but this will be a slippery slope. 

come play at duke where every player’s parents will receive a “consulting job” with Nike and a house in Colvard Farms. We call it the Zion special! 

13 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Why wud anyone voluntarily sign up to be a slave?

Because the path through that slavery has a small but non zero chance to lead to wealth on the other side. Indentured servitude might be a better term because it generally was for a defined period of time. I will freely submit that term might be the better descriptor.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have been involved in AAU basketball for a long time, so I definitely am aware that UNC engages in that sort of activity as well. Every single ACC school does. Some are dumb enough to do it directly but most let the boosters or shoe companies handle it. 

This has been going on for 30+ years, so anyone claiming to be shocked is not being honest. It's a direct result of athletes not getting a piece of the pie in a business that has grown to generate untold billions of dollars for those involved.

If you want that kind of thing to stop, the easiest way is to do something like California did. Allow these kids to make money off their likeness and actually get some of this money. It costs the schools nothing except maybe having to split some merchandising revenue, which they should have had to in the first place.

Got an example you know of about UNC that isn’t speculative? We all know duke and NCST are rampant cheaters but UNC doesn’t roll that way. 

Compensating these athletes needs to happen. A lot of people think that oh they'll get theirs in the pros but the reality is that there are a ton of GREAT college players who won't have meaningful pro athletic careers. They were college stars that drove a ton of revenue and all they got was a scholarship.

This is also probably the best way to go about it. Yes, it opens Pandora's box in terms of boosters being able to buy recruits but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that's not already happening. Hell, it's already been shown to be happening by the big shoe companies. A move like this would just get that action above ground. The college's paying the athletes isn't a realistic option IMO due to Title IX. Due to Title IX, if you pay the male revenue sports athletes (football and basketball), you have to pay everyone else too. It would honestly probably effectively end the majority of college athletics 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Now if research assistant students can begin to receive partial royalties on discoveries they worked for...

Letting everyone participate in the revenue generated by their efforts even if working some nominal position as part of their education? That’s just crazy talk.

10 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Got an example you know of about UNC that isn’t speculative? We all know duke and NCST are rampant cheaters but UNC doesn’t roll that way. 

I have multiple examples but I am not going to spread those kids names across the internet to appease some idiot who is clearly living in a fantasy world. I don't blame a single one of them for taking what they did and ultimately they almost always pay a much bigger price than any of those universities ever do. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Compensating these athletes needs to happen. A lot of people think that oh they'll get theirs in the pros but the reality is that there are a ton of GREAT college players who won't have meaningful pro athletic careers. They were college stars that drove a ton of revenue and all they got was a scholarship.

This is also probably the best way to go about it. Yes, it opens Pandora's box in terms of boosters being able to buy recruits but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that's not already happening. Hell, it's already been shown to be happening by the big shoe companies. A move like this would just get that action above ground. The college's paying the athletes isn't a realistic option IMO due to Title IX. Due to Title IX, if you pay the male revenue sports athletes (football and basketball), you have to pay everyone else too. It would honestly probably effectively end the majority of college athletics 

I don't think it will open up any more boxes than are already opened. The shoe companies, for one, will just simply be able to pay them directly and not engage in any black market transactions. It will also allow star players to essentially make money wherever they end up. Will "big market" teams have some inherent advantages? Sure but those advantages exist in the real world for athletes and citizens alike, so I don't see it as a huge deal. It will not make it any more unequal than the system already is.

16 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Now if research assistant students can begin to receive partial royalties on discoveries they worked for...

That's gonna be a fight on the horizon too.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it will open up any more boxes than are already opened. The shoe companies, for one, will just simply be able to pay them directly and not engage in any black market transactions. It will also allow star players to essentially make money wherever they end up. Will "big market" teams have some inherent advantages? Sure but those advantages exist in the real world for athletes and citizens alike, so I don't see it as a huge deal. It will not make it any more unequal than the system already is.

That's what I'm saying. That's why I said we're kidding ourselves if we think that's not already happening. When I say opening Pandora's box, what I mean is it will put it out there for everyone to clearly see. It's going to raise a lot of eyebrows when high major recruits start landing six figure endorsement deals from local car dealerships owned by alumni and it's gonna happen if this holds up to the coming legal challenges that the NCAA is sure to throw at it.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have multiple examples but I am not going to spread those kids names across the internet to appease some idiot who is clearly living in a fantasy world. I don't blame a single one of them for taking what they did and ultimately they almost always pay a much bigger price than any of those universities ever do. 

Can’t provide an example and then insults me by calling me a name. You seem very credible. 

I know under the table stuff goes on, especially with the AAU circuit and basketball - but I don’t believe UNC has been cheating to the likes of NCST, duke, Kansas, Uk etc. The recruiting does not back that up. 

1 minute ago, 4Corners said:

Can’t provide an example and then insults me by calling me a name. You seem very credible. 

I know under the table stuff goes on, especially with the AAU circuit and basketball - but I don’t believe UNC has been cheating to the likes of NCST, duke, Kansas, Uk etc. The recruiting does not back that up. 

Lol. Okay buddy, you just live in your little fantasy world. 

• Pie 2

A union needs to be started right now for collective bargaining. I would feel some collages may go after the players for tuition or some other bs.