Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Mike Freeman speculates on Cam Newton...

...heavily.

Quarterback Cam Newton has been one of the best players of his generation. One of the smartest, toughest and most transformational. All of that is true.

But what we are seeing is that for the first time in the Newton era, he faces a legitimate challenge to his reign.

Kyle Allen is 4-0 as Newton's replacement while Newton is recovering from a foot injury. As a quarterback, Allen isn't in the same universe as Newton. Newton clearly can be better, but that's not necessarily the point.

The point is Newton's injury history and what is clearly a physically broken-down player. It's not a matter of Newton being healthy. It's if he can stay healthy.

What I can tell you with certainty is that no decision has been made about what happens when Newton is healthy again.

What one Panthers team source said Sunday after they beat Tampa Bay 37-26 was this: "No one really saw this coming, and now it's a tough decision."

One AFC general manager tells me he believes the trade market for Newton would be robust, and maybe as many as 10 teams would be interested. The concern teams have, this GM said, is Newton's health.

There are other teams, however, that think Newton has little left. Front-office personnel for these teams also believe that the Panthers privately think this as well.

Allen's play is why the speculation about Newton's future has dramatically intensified. NFL Network's Willie McGinest said during the pregame show that this is now Allen's team and that Newton won't be back this year or next. Ian Rapoport of the same network reported (also during the pregame) that if Carolina keeps winning, then Allen could keep the job. Well, the Panthers won again.

What McGinest, a three-time Super Bowl winner with the Patriots, said isn't a hot take; it's barely lukewarm. The idea that a team might stick with a hot hand is also not a particularly nuclear view. Trading an older player with a $21 million salary cap number (per Spotrac) for next year, one who is also perennially injured, is about as flaming a take as an ice cube in a glass of water.

Newton isn't the first player in history to face an uncertain future. Johnny Unitas was sent packing. Emmitt Smith, the all-time leading rusher, played his final two years in Arizona. The 49ers gave Joe Montana and Jerry Rice the boot.

No one is untouchable in this league. Not even a special talent like Newton.

Take emotions out of it. Take Newton's historic place in the game out of it. Keeping Allen as the starter makes sense. Trading Newton might also make sense.

The problem the Panthers face with Newton is just how much he's been hurt the past two years. He's tough, and that's good, but he's just not reliable. Last year, he fought through a shoulder injury, and this year it's the foot.

The idea of replacing Newton with Allen is something that many in the league have been discussing for weeks. Newton has been one of the more gossiped-about players in the sport this year.

The talk is not that Allen is better. It's that Allen is healthy, and a healthy Allen provides more consistency at the position. What front-office personnel point to is the first Panthers-Bucs matchup of 2019, when a hobbled Newton rushed twice for zero yards and the Panthers failed to score a touchdown.

In the first two games this season, teams crowded the line of scrimmage to stop Christian McCaffrey and make Newton beat them. It's rare for defenses to attack the Panthers that way during the Newton era, but Newton's recent and inflamed injury history made it possible.

Newton has made his mistakes, but overall, he's been a tremendous player and a beacon in Carolina. Like many black quarterbacks throughout NFL history, he's faced tremendous racism and double standards and has handled it all with class and dignity.

He will go in the Hall of Fame one day. As a Rookie of the Year, three-time Pro Bowler and league MVP, he's one of the most productive quarterbacks of his generation.

Still, we might be watching the last days of Newton in Carolina.

Has Cam Newton Lost the Carolina Panthers QB Job to Kyle Allen? It's Possible

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 6

Titans would make a lot of sense as a potential trade partner for Cam if it comes to that. Good defense, good skill position players, OL has talent but has been underperforming and no QB under contract next year. Mariota has been a failure and was benched today. Tannehill will probably get a chance but he really isn’t any good either.

FYI this was the article posted in the other thread:

But you have quotes and he didn’t.

Let the media speculate, that’s there job, they are wow’d by 4 games and ready to ride the Allen Train wherever it goes 

but what consequences do they faced if they’re  wrong about there opinion on this matter? Nothing, but we face giving up on a potential top 8 qb on the sample size of 5 games? 

Im sure the front office is evaluating more than just the win streak we are on now, far too many times do teams make this same mistake, the difference is this is a mistake that could send us straight to the bottom of the league for years if we mess this up. 

Again, I watched luck,Wentz, ect miss more games and still didn’t hear such a hard on from the media to have them replaced, Wentz backup won the super bowl and there still were only a few rumbling about keeping foles and getting rid of Wentz. 

Media is trying to paint cam as Sam Bradford and that’s far from the case 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Let the media speculate, that’s there job, they are wow’d by 4 games and ready to ride the Allen Train wherever it goes 

but what consequences do they faced if they’re  wrong about there opinion on this matter? Nothing, but we face giving up on a potential top 8 qb on the sample size of 5 games? 

Im sure the front office is evaluating more than just the win streak we are on now, far too many times do teams make this same mistake, the difference is this is a mistake that could send us straight to the bottom of the league for years if we mess this up. 

Again, I watched luck,Wentz, ect miss more games and still didn’t hear such a hard on from the media to have them replaced, Wentz backup won the super bowl and there still were only a few rumbling about keeping foles and getting rid of Wentz. 

Media is trying to paint cam as Sam Bradford and that’s far from the case 

There was a lot of talk that the Eagles should have traded Wentz and kept Foles.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/nfl-carson-wentz-trade-eagles-nick-foles-jaguars-steelers-giants-broncos-raiders

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6271251-5-most-realistic-trade-destinations-for-carson-wentz

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/columns/eagles-should-keep-foles-trade-wentz-weinberg/article_030a4003-42aa-5b1d-aaaa-3a1669ff0340.html

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/01/skip-bayless-says-the-eagles-should-trade-carson-wentz.html

https://thesidelineobserver.com/2019/01/10/why-the-eagles-should-trade-carson-wentz/

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, GreensboroPirate said:

There is an interesting discussion on an insiders Buffalo Bills Forum

Speculation that Brandon Beane will look to trade for Cam Newton this offseason.  If you recall, Brandon Beane was the one who pushed and advocated for Hurney to draft Newton, and has always been his biggest advocate.

The Buffalo Bills have the best defense in the NFL, and would be a front runner with good quarterback play, in the chance Newton returns to form next season.  The Cardinals already moved on from Josh Rosen, the Bills would have no problem moving on from Josh Allen.

Would you be open to trading Cam Newton to Buffalo for a draft pick?

I doubt Cam would let that happen

Norv Turner's comments lead me to believe he favors Cam Newton heavily as the QB he prefers, as long as he's healthy.

I have high doubts we'd move on from Newton. Really doesn't make sense in most scenarios.

That being said, for now Kyle Allen is playing at a good enough level that we won't need to worry about whether we're giving Newton enough time to heal.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Hell of an article. 

Love me some Cam and I will always appreciate what he has brought to this team. Cam brought this franchise confidence. He demanded respect. A lot of people give Cam hell for being cocky and confident. But I always loved it because it was something this team never saw before. Because we always had the mediocre happy go lucky aw shucks guys to lead this team. An in part that's why we were usually a 7-9 squad.

The amount of bullshit he has had to deal with from the media and the ignorant moron haters out there that bash him must be taxing I would imagine. Yet Cam has always stayed true to himself and I love it. I want to see the man succeed and hopefully with us. He deserves it. Especially after the NFL stole a SB from him and allowed him to be head hunted all night just to give Peyton Manning his ride off into the sunset. I'll never forgive the game for that. The league was against him that night, and it was in the rematch the following year too. 

Cam was ahead of his time. He reached the mountain when the old guard of the league didn't want to see a confident, unabashed, and frankly QB of his personality and color win at the highest level. Call it a conspiracy if you want but they stole a championship from us. He deserved and deserves better and he shouldn't have to hide who he is just to please people. That goes for the NFL, the fans, the media, everybody.  I want to see him balling, wearing his designer clothes, dabbing and shot calling all over the place because its fun and makes the game exciting.

Side Note:

I'll say though. For the FO to say that no one saw this coming just tells me that Hurney and Ron don't know when to play a QB. Because Allen looked like he could play last year and even today the players said they weren't surprised that he could step in and do well because he did it all TC. Yet they took Will Grier to appease fans and Tepper just so they can say they drafted a guy.  Same poo Hurney did with Jake-Moore-Clausen saga, not playing the dude that can help you win right then and now.

• Pie 2

You almost have to believe that the closer Cam gets to being healthy, the more the FO COULD hope that Kyle hits a bump in the rode. That would give them the opportunity to put Cam in, without making it look like they were usurping Kyle.

We are definitely getting to the point where Kyle will have played his way to having the starting gig become permanent.

Man this season could be epic. And not in the way we thought just before it started. Member back then, we had the naive hope that the new year brings. Now we have the WTF kind of hope only a strange year like this one can deliver.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

We are definitely getting to the point where Kyle will have played his way to having the starting gig become permanent.

All honesty, I have doubts on that too.

Today's game changed my view on Kyle Allen a little bit, and I think he's a fine starter. He showed he can improve from past mistakes (zero fumbles when sacked, better pocket movement aside a few blips) and he's getting there. I don't think he'd be what we want in terms of leading us in clutch situations against playoff teams.

Cam Newton has history and play-making ability that Kyle Allen simply doesn't have. And that's okay.

My concerns with the "play Kyle Allen until he loses" mentality is just simply the idea of losing. We know he won't be reaching Cam Newton's ability anytime soon, and it makes no sense to sit a better player and ride out someone who's still working it out.

That's why imo, it would make sense to put Cam Newton in when healthy period, no matter if we haven't lost yet. Cam's ability will help transcend the team in general.

I stand by the belief he literally just needs to heal up his plant foot. His velocity is there. The only he can't throw deep deep is due to not being able to step into his throws, hence the underthrow to Samuel vs. Tampa. But once he can step into it, this team can be very special.

And if he's not healthy? We know now that Kyle Allen can do enough to win us games and show improvement. He's a solid fallback plan.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Doug did a great job killing all that noise by saying Wentz was there qb going forward, the eagles have looked to have made the right choice also.

the fo can’t have the same mantra as the fan base, the “what have you done lately” attitude is not a smart business model for a nfl team.

Allen was a backup for a reason, will he be an anomaly and play his way out of that label and make a name for himself?it’s possible but the flipside is he turns into the large amount of qbs that shine before there’s a full season of tape out on him.

there’s a smarter way to figure out who should start going forward and it doesn’t involve either qb having to be traded,released, ect 

37 minutes ago, GreensboroPirate said:

There is an interesting discussion on an insiders Buffalo Bills Forum

Speculation that Brandon Beane will look to trade for Cam Newton this offseason.  If you recall, Brandon Beane was the one who pushed and advocated for Hurney to draft Newton, and has always been his biggest advocate.

The Buffalo Bills have the best defense in the NFL, and would be a front runner with good quarterback play, in the chance Newton returns to form next season.  The Cardinals already moved on from Josh Rosen, the Bills would have no problem moving on from Josh Allen.

Would you be open to trading Cam Newton to Buffalo for a draft pick?

there is 0 chance the bills are interested in trading for a QB

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You almost have to believe that the closer Cam gets to being healthy, the more the FO COULD hope that Kyle hits a bump in the rode. That would give them the opportunity to put Cam in, without making it look like they were usurping Kyle.

Man this season could be epic. And not in the way we thought just before it started. Member back then, we had the naive hope that the new year brings. Now we have the WTF kind of hope only a strange year like this one can deliver.

No chance anyone on the team wants this in any way. That's what some people on this forum want. There's not a coach, FO guy or team member that wants Allen to have a bad game (likely a loss) to make it easier to put Cam in. I am sure that even though deep down Cam may feel underappreciated (video made me feel that a bit), I don't think he'd even want Allen to lose to get the job back. If he's healthy, I assume Cam feels like he'd win the job back.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Doug did a great job killing all that noise by saying Wentz was there qb going forward, the eagles have looked to have made the right choice also.

Except Rivera isn't saying those things.

And the reports are that behind closed doors, questions are being asked.

Hell, even Steve Smith is asking the question.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

The team will show its hand soon.

My bet is that Newton 'suddenly' goes in IR for the rest of the year and gives the FO time to figure it out without the pressure