Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

The next game will tell us...

Recommended Posts

The "team" point is a legitimate one.

Worth remembering that it is very possible for whoever plays quarterback to have a good game but the team still lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good point on McCaffrey. I know some of his resident critics were ready to act like that game proved them right. Obviously it didn't.

It’ll be a poo show after next Sunday regardless of the QB. SF’s pass D looks to be as good as Tampa’s run D. Neither QB has a great chance and if either one shines it's a damn good sign for the rest of the year. I expect a high turnover defensive game and CMC could be the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main thing we need to see in the next game is that we don't lay an egg.  It needs to be a one score game.  Regardless of what combination of good offense, good defense, etc gets us there, that should be our goal.  I think it was Coach Ample Chest who once said "We need to become relevant".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BrianS said:

The main thing we need to see in the next game is that we don't lay an egg.  It needs to be a one score game.  Regardless of what combination of good offense, good defense, etc gets us there, that should be our goal.  I think it was Coach Ample Chest who once said "We need to become relevant".

No argument.

Also no doubt that regardless of what happens, people will spin it to fit their pregame takes.

Seeing people attempting to spin Todd Bowles comments to say he was trying to trick us into cutting Cam Newton reminded me of just how far people are willing to reach sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to advancements in modern medicine there is help for those of you who are extremely premature...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’ll be a poo show after next Sunday regardless of the QB. SF’s pass D looks to be as good as Tampa’s run D. Neither QB has a great chance and if either one shines it's a damn good sign for the rest of the year. I expect a high turnover defensive game and CMC could be the difference.

49ers defense on pace to allow fewest passing yards since 1982

The thought of their pass rushers going against our line scares me.

We'll probably have to run the offense a lot like we did against the Texans, focusing on short to intermediate (and very quickly thrown) passes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Number Two: "If we put Newton back out there and he looks bad, we'll know he's done."

Again...No.

Even perfectly healthy veteran players have lousy games. Yes, we're looking to see how much Newton has recovered from his injuries, but one single game isn't going to tell the whole story. And even if he is healthy, it's natural to expect he might be a little rusty.

It may sound like a broken record to repeat it, but again if you're going to put him out there, you have to have patience. Recovery takes time. Rebuilding chemistry takes time. Getting back into the swing of things takes time.

Basically, he needs time.

Give it to him. Not necessarily because he deserves it (even if he does) but because it's the smart thing to do.

I agree with just about everything in your post, with a little exception. I believe we will be able to tell quickly if Cam came back too soon or not.

Is he running the ball?

The first two games, he carried only a couple of times and now we know why. I don't expect him to run often, but the running is essentially in getting Cam into the game. We've all seen his reactions when he makes a great play with his feet.

So, I'm not going to judge his throwing, so much, but the first time he's in the game, I want to see how well he runs. And if he doesn't run at all? Well, queue up the controversies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

I agree with just about everything in your post, with a little exception. I believe we will be able to tell quickly if Cam came back too soon or not.

Is he running the ball?

The first two games, he carried only a couple of times and now we know why. I don't expect him to run often, but the running is essentially in getting Cam into the game. We've all seen his reactions when he makes a great play with his feet.

So, I'm not going to judge his throwing, so much, but the first time he's in the game, I want to see how well he runs. And if he doesn't run at all? Well, queue up the controversies. 

The one caveat to that is that I think Norv Turner was trying to get him to run less anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The one caveat to that is that I think Norv Turner was trying to get him to run less anyway.

I think we all understand that Cam is going to have to reduce the amount of running he WAS doing, if he plans to have a longer career. But that's different than picking a few opportune moments and taking advantage. I think the balance is somewhere around 5 runs per game, depending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note for if/when they do decide to start Newton...

Don't be surprised if the announcement is made very, very late. Anytime there are questions, it's pretty common for teams to keep their cards hidden right up to game time.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not worried about the offense, the real issue is going to be stopping the run vs SF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Side note for if/when they do decide to start Newton...

Don't be surprised if the announcement is made very, very late. Anytime there are questions, it's pretty common for teams to keep their cards hidden right up to game time.

make the waste time game planning for two completely different QBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have a ridiculous DL.  This will be massive test for our offense.  I think our defense can cause some problems as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

They also have OL issues.  This could be a really low scoring sack fest.  

Pretty sure it will be. CMC is the main cog we have and maybe really quick passes hoping Samuel and Moore can get yards after the catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      20,208
    • Most Online
      3,478

    Newest Member
    Richard
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      146,669
    • Total Posts
      4,822,561
  • Posts

    • The Good:   - Still young and considered a gifted offensive mind - He and Cam would do well together - Was brought up under a couple of successful coaches in NFL and college - Comes from a culture of winning and success - Would hopefully have Caserio as his GM which would be a helluva pairing in the front office The Bad: - I'm not confident in the Belichick Tree of Coordinators-turned-coaches as being successful outside of Foxboro - Cheaters in NE and was caught bringing that garbage to Denver by filming the 49ers - Has had the GOAT under center in NE to deliver his vision - Had a rough first go-round as HC being arrogant, egotistical and rubbing people the wrong way with his personnel decisions   Bottom line for me is that he is near the top of available candidates and I would have a hard time arguing an available coach that is far and away better than McDaniels. I would also have a hard time finding an available coach (McCarthy, Harbaugh, Roman, Garrett, Stephanski, Rhule, Saleh) that doesn't have weaknesses and warts, though different than McD.  I'll leave the decision to the guys being paid to know this stuff better than me and my opinions. He's not my #1, but I also wouldn't cry if we hired him. Regardless, The Huddle will burn as soon as the new coach/GM are announced...whoever it turns out to be, so what can you do.
    • Marty Hurney does one thing well. Draft project players that ultimately don't pan out. You don't get much worse than him. 
  • Masters of PIE !

×
×
  • Create New...