Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Person: Possible "Tug of War" coming

Joe Person did a Q&A session on The Athletic where he was asked about the quarterback situation.

His response was mostly kinda generic , saying first that it's going to be very important that it be handled correctly (obviously). But he did also mention that he could see a potential "tug of war" coming about when Newton is actually healthy.

Who the tug of war will be between? I'd call that kind of an important detail, but Person didn't say.

As far as predicting the future, Person believes that Newton will start again before season's end (maybe against the Titans) but also acknowledged that the Panthers clearly have a desire to "slow play" his recovery time and "bring him back slowly". And of course, everything hinges on him being "100%".

(boy, has that term been used a lot on here in the last couple of weeks)

To sum it up, he said he expects this to be a "fascinating couple of weeks".

Really wish he would have elaborated more on the whole "tug of war" thing. Maybe somebody can ask him on Twitter.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Joe Person did a Q&A session on The Athletic where he was asked about the quarterback situation.

His response was mostly kinda generic , saying first that it's going to be very important that it be handled correctly (obviously). But he did also mention that he could see a potential "tug of war" coming about when Newton is actually healthy.

Who the tug of war will be between? I'd call that kind of an important detail, but Person didn't say.

As far as predicting the future, Person believes that Newton will start again before season's end (maybe against the Titans) but also acknowledged that the Panthers clearly have a desire to "slow play" his recovery time and "bring him back slowly". And of course, everything hinges on him being "100%".

(boy, has that term been used a lot on here in the last couple of weeks)

To sum it up, he said he expects this to be a "fascinating couple of weeks".

Really wish he would have elaborated more on the whole "tug of war" thing. Maybe somebody can ask him on Twitter.

Changes are coming. 

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, ecu88 said:

Changes are coming. 

Not sure I'm ready to to say that yet, but it's possible.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, GreensboroPirate said:

The tug of war is between Hurney and Rivera

Hurney has always liked Cam Newton, he took a big risk drafting him at #1 and feels an attachment to his draft pick

Ron Rivera has always been an anti-cam guy, "I'd have taken a shot"/benched him for not wearing a tie

Ron had to warm up to Cam. Lord knows he probably wanted marcell Darius or von or Patrick Peterson instead  

39 minutes ago, mjligon said:

you just can’t make this up

Yes you can...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I suspect the reference is to a tug of war between Cam and his "camp" and the Panthers decision makers. It does appear that the Panthers are trying to "slow play" this a tad and that some media leaks lead me to believe the the Newton camp wants speed up the process. Of course, it is just suppostion at this point.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Ron had to warm up to Cam. Lord knows he probably wanted marcell Darius or von or Patrick Peterson instead  

Well, we could've drafted Von, still sucked in 2011, and drafted Luck in 2012? Butterfly Effect though.

3 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

What are you basing this on? He had the first pick, he could have taken them if that’s who he wanted. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

Probably between Cam saying he's ready and the staff saying nah not yet.

That's one possibility.

Could be disagreement between the coaches as well. Hard to say.

I guess I don’t understand the controversy. If Cam is, in fact, healthy then I think he’s clearly the better option at QB. I really like Allen but to say he’s better then Cam at this point is ludicrous. So when Cam is healthy then he should be reinserted as the starting QB, the rest can and should play out after the season. Perhaps that’s a bit reductive but I think we’re making a mountain of a mole hill. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Cam wants to come back possibly before he is actually ready because he has a lot of  future contract money at stake.  If he doesn't come back this year he is probably gone from the Panthers squad and will be pedaling previously damaged goods to a team who thinks they can fit him into their run heavy/errratic passing offensive system.  And if Allen continues to be a much cheaper option that keeps winning there would be no reason to give Cam a new contract.  Cam would probably be much more at ease about taking his time to heal if Allen wans't 4-0.

Edited by Paa Langfart

To me, this is not the most intriguing thing about this Q and A.  I found this little nugget much more interesting. 

image.png.a2661b9a1102f6937aa08369d31612a8.png

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, GreensboroPirate said:

Rivera is not the GM, Hurney was

There was a report Hurney had to override Rivera on draft night, as Rivera wanted to chose a defensive player and believed Newton to be a flash in the pan

I’m not contesting that, but I don’t remember ever hearing that. I’ve never gotten the sense from RR that he was ever not 100% with Cam. 

I understand him wanting one of the other guys, I did too. Since they announced Cam as they pick I’ve been unwavering in my support for Cam. 

• Pie 1