Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

NAS

Eric Reid spoke to Tepper about Kaepernick last week

Panthers safety Eric Reid is a former teammate and close friend of Colin Kaepernick, so it was no surprise that reporters came to him for comment about the workout the NFL arranged for Kaepernick in Atlanta this Saturday.

It wasn’t the first conversation that Reid has had about Kaepernick potentially returning to play recently. He told reporters he spoke to Panthers owner David Tepper about signing Kaepernick in the wake of Cam Newton‘s trip to injured reserve last week.

“He said if they were looking to add a veteran quarterback that [Kaepernick) would be evaluated,” Reid said, via Joseph Person of TheAthletic.com. “And I told him I’d hold him to that.”

Because the Panthers showed no interest in Kaepernick at that time, Reid said “we’ll see if they’ll send somebody” to this weekend’s workout. Panthers coach Ron Rivera referred questions to General Manager Marty Hurney, who declined to comment about an event that Reid’s not sure is entirely what it might appear to be.

“Getting a workout is not getting on a team. They could easily want the storyline that they gave him a workout because they gave him a shot. And say that he didn’t perform. But I know he will perform,” Reid said. “Every move the NFL has made to this point has been PR for them, has been disingenuous and I don’t think this is any different. But we’ll see what happens.”

Reports and word from coaches have several teams set to attend Kaepernick’s workout and interview, which teams will also be able to access on video.

Again, this is typically a conversation one would have with a general manager. I don’t know, it’s hard to read into how significant all this is. 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your current quarterback. I’m not sure if it’s exactly what the other quarterback, you know the one that’s the face of your franchise, really wants to hear right now. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Curious if any of the reporters on site asked him about speaking with Ron or Marty first about this? Or is it just understood that Reid has a direct line to the owner anytime he wants? Is that the case w other players? Is it a case by case deal? It’s a fairly significant organizational dynamic that I’m fairly curious to know more about. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 2

Idk some of you can’t read between the lines, he’s just trying to help colin, his friend out as much as possible, I don’t think he is vouching for him to take anyone’s job hence why he said veteran qb. 

relax this was expected 

Edited by Cpt slay a ho
  • Pie 1

I’m not overreacting. I’m just trying to examine the whole scope of it. When he says veteran quarterback, who knows what the hell that means? I’m guessing CK doesn’t view himself as Steve DeBerg at this point.