Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Outside of the Jaguars, none of the other teams had the kind of advantages the Panthers had when they started out.

I'm gonna set that aside though.

Once you get past 10 years in the league, you don't get to talk about yourself in terms of being "an expansion team".  We're now an established NFL team.

And frankly, we should be better than we are.

I'd argue Jerry Richardson inherited a MUCH better situation than Robert Kraft....and they took over their respective teams within a year of each other.  Think about that.

The Patriots were the equivalent of a toxic SuperFund site.  2 playoff games in a 9-year stretch and a 5-year span where they won 19 games total. 

By comparison the Panthers were a pristine green-fields site with no legacy problems whatsoever.

The divergence of the respective win-loss records over the next 24 years is truly stunning --- it all goes back to ownership.

Concluding on a positive note, Tepper gets it. 

5 hours ago, Seltzer said:

It's easy to be cynical as a sports fan, and certainly I'm frustrated by this year and the overall lack of any semblance of sustained success over the last 25 years, but over half (and maybe closer to 20) of the other teams in the league would trade our success for their own over that time period.

I will never be satisfied until we finally win a Lombardi (and then in true sports-fan form, I will probably not be satisfied w/o a second), but this team and franchise has never been the dumpster fire than some "fans" want to make us out to be anytime there is a bad season.

Just as we haven't had sustained success, we really haven't had prolonged periods of being awful either.  Certainly we've bottomed out twice (2001 & 2010), but in both cases we went to a SB afterwards within 5 years.

Outside of one season, 2006 to 2012 was a prolonged period of being pretty crappy.

2 hours ago, TN05 said:

We are 199-201-1, or around .500. That's 19th of all teams, which is damn impressive given how most expansion teams do. There is a 0% chance we are in the bottom 30% since 1995 with a .500 record.

I said close to bottom 30%...you do realize if we’re 19th, we’re 1-2 spots from the bottom 30% which is close...which is exactly what I said.

4 hours ago, SBiii said:

Sounds incredibly familiar.

Who is this @ZacahryFaria? 

Hmmm...."optionality"....I know Tepper's an expert in it but I've never seen him quoted using the term....

....but I do know it's been used on this website here a lot lately :shades:

That comment quoted was by Bill Voth, who posted an excerpt of his latest "Grill Bill" yesterday. He was responding to a question from a reader named Zachary...

If it wasnt difficult to find a good coach every one of these owners would have one. Most of the good ones were almost shots in the dark with most of the exciting hires being duds 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, mc52beast said:

He said no LONG term mediocrity. Didn’t explain what his definition of long term is. Nothing he said insinuates that he’s firing anyone. 

I'm thinking 9 years sounds about right.

lol people still calling this an expansion team....that's fugin amazing, right on par with "The Fanatic" movie rofl seriously that's tremendous. 

15 hours ago, ickmule said:

Don’t bet on it. 

I said Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney out of here they had mess this organization up.

18 hours ago, SBiii said:

I'd argue Jerry Richardson inherited a MUCH better situation than Robert Kraft....and they took over their respective teams within a year of each other.  Think about that.

The Patriots were the equivalent of a toxic SuperFund site.  2 playoff games in a 9-year stretch and a 5-year span where they won 19 games total. 

By comparison the Panthers were a pristine green-fields site with no legacy problems whatsoever.

The divergence of the respective win-loss records over the next 24 years is truly stunning --- it all goes back to ownership.

Concluding on a positive note, Tepper gets it. 

Except the stark difference in the divisions they play in. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Except the stark difference in the divisions they play in. 

LOL...