Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Info from the mini-conference

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

While the future of Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney were not specifically discussed, Tepper did say that Newton’s injury would have to be included in any evaluation of the team.

Any GM/Coach would have to be judged by the complete situation.

Why anyone would be in support of removing facts from the table when evaluating anyone is mind blowing.

• Beer 1

Tepper cleaned house aside from Marty and Ron. He had his own feelings and I'm sure he got advice. It's hard to win in the NFL without your stars.

When you think of mediocrity think about how many close games this franchise hasn't been "favored" in. Add that to the "win" column and it's a different, above average team.

Cam was head hunted and it was sanctioned by NFL officials. Give Cam the "favor" or protection that Rodgers and Brady receive and that 2015 SuperBowl is a totally different game isn't it? A lot of penalties and a couple touchdowns different.

As a day one fan I've seen many games where we come in as the hot team only to be stifled by the hero in prime time. Vegas rarely favors you, no matter what hot roster you may put together. Why?

We hate on Ron but what if KK wasn't hurt? How many of those games would he have helped the run D?

Then add Cam to the list? WTF you gonna do?

They didn't value a veteran backup. That's on Marty. I'm a supporter but that's on him and Norv.

4 hours ago, trueblade said:

My take was a rookie owner still assessing the situation as he transitioned form full time hedge-fund manager reluctant to make changes feeling he didn't have all the data needed.

Logical take if assessing a middle-management exec at Bank of America....

....Tepper has superior evaluation and decision making skills and doesn't need 18 months to gather the "data".

I'm on record saying 'Boat and Hurndog will be retained in 2020.

What's your official position on both?

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's a question that actually arose from reading David Newton's article about the meeting, oddly enough.

Does it signify anything that Tepper held this meeting solo rather than alongside Rivera and Hurney?

No.

49 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Logical take if assessing a middle-management exec at Bank of America....

....Tepper has superior evaluation and decision making skills and doesn't need 18 months to gather the "data".

I'm on record saying 'Boat and Hurndog will be retained in 2020.

Bingo. 

2 hours ago, SBiii said:

I think the Panthers would be well served by new leadership, but it's not my call. I'll just wait to see what Mr. Tepper decides.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I think the Panthers would be well served by new leadership, but it's not my call. I'll just wait to see what Mr. Tepper decides.

We know it's not your call....

....but, you can get on the record with a prediction....

....and it won't cost you a penny!

What say ye?

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other thought...

"Don't quote me"?

How is it you arrange what's essentially a press gathering and then tell everybody they can't quote you? :thinking:

They can paraphrase! It likely means he didn’t pre-write any answers so he didn’t want exact quotes.

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other thought...

"Don't quote me"?

How is it you arrange what's essentially a press gathering and then tell everybody they can't quote you? :thinking:

Happens all the time in more serious arenas covered by journalism like government. Reporters are gathered together and given background info that helps them do their jobs and gives their reporting context but their may be specific reasons why those giving the information want little of what they’re saying to be quoted. Maybe a bit more unusual in sports where owners are concerned I’m guessing, but probably happens more often with GM’s than you might think.

You guys are correct to assume that Tepper's mental process related to business and success is significant.  Your brain stays with what works.  So to understand the situation, what specifically has worked for Tepper?

Tepper researched distressed companies and often bought stock when panicked sellers were abandoning ship.  These were literally called "bets" in the market.  Research that suggested the company could rebound, be merged, or profit from a potential government bail out (he made $7b that way) influenced his purchasing of junk bonds or plunging stocks, in many cases.  While others were breaking even or making single-digit profits, Tepper was earning 57% by making calculated risks that run contrary to what the majority is doing.  In other words, you don't rise above the rest by doing what the rest do--that is why "mediocrity" is such a despicable word to him.  

This is not day trading, and it is not riding a long-term investment.  He analyzes the climate, the variables, and places his bets.  That is what he is doing with RR, MH, and CN.

Are there signs in Ron Riveraland that suggests the Panthers are going to turn it around and achieve the success rate he desires? Ron has been up and down and he is often outcoached.   In that regard, he is somewhat connected to Cam Newton; Ron's success is tied directly to Cam's success. Since Tepper has been here, the only way the team has won consistently is when Cam was healthy.   Without a healthy Cam (a variable), how good is Ron?  1-7 at the end of last year, 5-5 this year.  In the last 18 games, in other words, Ron is 6-12.  Unless he wins four, maybe five games on the schedule down the stretch, there is little to convince a hedge fund manager to bet on Ron Rivera for another year.

There was another subtle indicator of Tepper's influence in relation to Marty Hurney.  He basically told reporters, "The jury is still out" on Cam.  When Tepper does his research, does Cam have the upside (at his age and physical condition) to rise above mediocrity?  And the comment suggests that Tepper, not Hurney, will be making the decision.  Is that a tell?  Here is the rub:  Cam is the second coming and Rivera did not win a ring in 9 years while "taking his Maserati four wheeling."  If so, Rivera is out and Cam is a maybe.  Marty is possibly out, considering the fact that Tepper is making comments about players using first person language.

So I predict that Tepper will fire RR and place a bet on a rising young talent.  I also think he has indirectly demonstrated a lack of confidence in Hurney--speculative at best.   And Cam?  I think he shops Cam in the off season and cuts him if needed.

Tepper was willing to take a 25% hit before earning $7b in the 2000's investing in Enron, Washington Mutual, and other banks that went under during the crisis in 2008 or so.  Tepper will invest in the future, even if taking a short-term hit is a result. 

Just a guess--like everyone else--but the man has had tremendous success thinking this way---why change?

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1