Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Panthers likely targeting a college coach, my best guess

So it isn't difficult to surmise after yesterday's press conference that David Tepper wants to get a good long look at college coaches and he wants to be among the first to do so. Firing Ron yesterday allows him to freely and openly make calls to college coaches. Word would have quickly gotten back to Ron if Tepper started making phone calls. The right thing to do was to let him go and openly search for a new head coach.

What we can infer about a David Tepper head coach prospect;

- A coach open to analytics. This indicates a younger mindset and not old school go with your gut. (Ok Boomer) 

- An offensive mind. Tepper has stated the trend currently is an offensive coach. Likely because the current NFL rules favor the offense so heavily.

One guy that fits this description perfectly is Baylor's head coach Matt Rhule. Here is a brief rundown of his qualifications...

- Former college player

- 20 years coaching experience

- OL coach under Tom Coughlin 

- Has been positions coach on both sides of the ball, including QB.

- Turned Baylor's program around quickly from door mat to conference contender. Went from 1-11 to 11-1 in two years.

- All of this and is only 44 years old. 

Pair Rhule with Scott Turner as OC and the Carolina Panthers could have a solid coaching staff ready to rebuild on day 1. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Assistants not in the playoffs can be interviewed.

True, but most of not all worth talking to are in the playoffs.

• Pie 1

I read a vague rule. Found something that clarified.

It did say that college coaches typically are not interviewed until after they coach their bowl game. 

I cant find anything specifically stating no contact.  Just no interviews. Can they put out fealers to agents?

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

I read a vague rule. Found something that clarified.

It did say that college coaches typically are not interviewed until after they coach their bowl game. 

I cant find anything specifically stating no contact.  Just no interviews. Can they put out fealers to agents?

They definitely can. Interviews don't happen until initial talks have happened and interest/fit explored. Would be a waste of time otherwise.

Rhule turned down the Jets because he would not keep assistants in place, so Turner could be iffy. 

3 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

What about the Baltimore offense guy.  Lots of creative plays it’s a joy to watch. 

Roman would be a solid interview for sure. How long until Baltimore is out of the playoffs I wonder.

Unless they keep Fewell the chance Scott Turner remains OC seems slim. I hope Teppee wouldn't force a coordinator on a new coach

Tepper would hire Riley or Dabo in a second. It’s highly unlikely either would take the job though. 

3 minutes ago, MtnJax said:

Why not Dabo Swinney?

Nothing about Dabo says NFL head coach. He is largely a product of having great coordinators. He has also never been more than a positional coach, so he doesn't fit the "young offensive mind."

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Roman would be a solid interview for sure. How long until Baltimore is out of the playoffs I wonder.

AFC title where they can "Peyton Manning" Tom Brady one last time into the Super Bowl.

• Beer 1