Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

TN05

Shaq signed to 4 year extension through 2023

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

It was important to keep him and have someone to take over the defense when Luke is done in 2 years

A lot of people can’t fathom this and what I said in my original post. Luke’s contract is over in 2 years. He’s got concussion issues and has not looked like himself the past two years. I would not be surprised if we moved on or tried to trade him.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@#$& @#$&er!

I just got out of my sales apt for the day, sold my last 4 in a row this week, got a hot date with a redhead tonite, and now I see this.

 

You’re killing me Hurney!

 

I was thinking 9 maaaaaaybe 10 a year tops and I’d be happy keeping him, but not a 30% premium over that.

im also thinking this signals that Hurney isn’t going anywhere AND it suggests Hurney has convinced Tepper a full tear down isn’t necessary, because in my mind Shaq was that guy straddling the fence of “have to keep him no matter what” and “nice to have if the price is right but let him walk in a major overhaul”.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

I can't stop laughing at this forum some times. 

"Shaq is no good in a 3-4 defense." 

Did you guys miss the memo? Rivera was fired, in case you missed it. That tends to mean that there isn't a system in place on offense OR defense next year. I would bet a rather large sum that the Panthers will not be playing a 3-4 next year. It was a stupid idea that smacked of desperation and relied on everyone staying healthy, so yeah, it was a gamble that was bound to fail. Ellis will tell ya, all the signs were there during the preseason.

Pros: Shaq IS talented. Unfortunately, that talent hasn't been utilized properly. Did you notice that Luke was in coverage more than Shaq this year? Probably a reason for that. Hopefully, the next DC (who will not be named Washington), will understand his strengths and put him in the best position for it. Everyone talks about the coach, but I'm especially interested to find out who the new coordinators will be.

The biggest pro is, we don't go into the draft with a glaring need at LB. There are so many other holes, it's nice not to have to worry about this one during the offseason.

Cons: Shaq is not elite. He wasn't great in the 4-3, although he had his moments. He isn't great in the 3-4, but some of that had to do with personnel and scheme. I don't think we REALLY know what Shaq is, but I think we can rule out bonafide coverage LB. 

Bottom line: Although the contract is four years, it's the guaranteed money and how the contract is structured that determines the real value. Let's see the structure before we decide it's a fail. Depending, this could really be a 2 or 3 year deal for a lot less money. Let's wait and see the details.

Then why pay him as a ILB dumbass. You could have just paid him as a OLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

there isn't a system in place on offense OR defense next year

This. I kept seeing that he doesn't fit in our system. Truth is we don't have a system anymore. We will, but right now we don't. I'm hoping that the new coach will be able to build around the talent that is here.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

@#$& @#$&er!

I just got out of my sales apt for the day, sold my last 4 in a row this week, got a hot date with a redhead tonite, and now I see this.

 

You’re killing me Hurney!

 

I was thinking 9 maaaaaaybe 10 a year tops and I’d be happy keeping him, but not a 30% premium over that.

im also thinking this signals that Hurney isn’t going anywhere AND it suggests Hurney has convinced Tepper a full tear down isn’t necessary, because in my mind Shaq was that guy straddling the fence of “have to keep him no matter what” and “nice to have if the price is right but let him walk in a major overhaul”.

Absolutely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rayzor said:

This. I kept seeing that he doesn't fit in our system. Truth is we don't have a system anymore. We will, but right now we don't. I'm hoping that the new coach will be able to build around the talent that is here.

Then why pay him as a ILB? Why pay him now at all. I'm guessing offensive coach and a DC who fits the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Of course we are staying in a 3-4. Tepper wanted to go to 3-4 who thought we were going back to a 4-3?

So offensive coach and a DC who fits the system? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snake said:

Then why pay him as a ILB dumbass. You could have just paid him as a OLB. 

It's amazing how people resort to name calling when they can't come up with a reasoned argument.

You really care about labels? So, if we call Shaq an ILB, all the sudden the new coach has to use a 3-4? LOL.

When you label someone OLB, you risk labeling them an EDGE, which is generally more lucrative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes. That's more than I expected. And the timing is pretty strange.

Feels like we're missing some pieces of the puzzle, because as a stand alone move this doesn't quite make sense both in timing and cost.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

A lot of people can’t fathom this and what I said in my original post. Luke’s contract is over in 2 years. He’s got concussion issues and has not looked like himself the past two years. I would not be surprised if we moved on or tried to trade him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired once his contract is up

Edited by *FreeFua*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raleigh PF said:

It's amazing how people resort to name calling when they can't come up with a reasoned argument.

You really care about labels? So, if we call Shaq an ILB, all the sudden the new coach has to use a 3-4? LOL.

When you label someone OLB, you risk labeling them an EDGE, which is generally more lucrative.

 

I love how knowledgeable you are. OLBs get paid less than DEs and ILBs there Einstein. Normally 3-4 rushers get paid as DEs because that's where their talents lie. Shaq got paid like he's Luke and Commander of the defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, *FreeFua* said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired once his contract is up

that too. 
 

But yeah first thing I thought when we signed Shaq was Luke might be done here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange timing more than anything.  We don't even have coaches in place for next season, no idea of the style, schemes, player types they'll be looking for.  What is this?

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...