Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

NanuqoftheNorth

"It's Happening," Declares Jeremy Corbyn as Early UK Election Reports Suggest "Longest Queues Ever"

As Britons headed to the polls Thursday for the much-anticipated and highly consequential general election, U.K. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn sounded a note of optimism in response to early reports of big crowds and long lines at polling stations across the country.

"It's happening. We can do this," said Corbyn after the British newspaper Metro reported that early turnout resulted in the "longest queues ever" at several voting stations.

Aidan Conway, a resident of Balham, London, told Metro that he has "never seen a queue like this at my polling station."

"Many of the voters out this morning have said the lines are 'full of young people,'" Metro noted.

That could be good news for Labour. According to YouGov, more than 60 percent of voters between the ages of 18 and 29 voted for the Labour Party in the 2017 general election.

"More than 1.5 million people under the age of 34 registered to vote between Oct. 22 and Nov. 19, compared with 1.2 million in the same time frame in 2017," the New York Times reported late last week.

Labour activists on Wednesday continued to promote their get-out-the-vote push online and in communities nationwide, telling voters there was still time to make a difference and urging them to head to the polls to "kick the Tories out of government".

As Labour supporter and Guardian columnist Owen Jones wrote Wednesday, "Tories have discounted millennial rage against their policies and that mistake could cost them dear at the polls."

They have endured a decade of assaults on their living standards and their beliefs. The Tory elite calculated that this onslaught would have no political consequences because young people would not vote in sufficient numbers for it to matter. This hubris finally collided with reality in 2017, but it was not enough.

And so this is the question that will soon be answered. Will enough young people march to polling stations, in the right places, to stop a hard-right Tory government committed to implementing hard Brexit by the end of next month? Will Boris Johnson's entitlement meet its nemesis in the shape of a revolt of the young? There is very little time left. But if Britain's nightmare finally ends, it will probably be the young who save us from it.

Corbyn has characterized the general election as a life or death moment for the National Health Service. Last month, the Labour leader unveiled over 450 pages of trade documents that he said show Johnson has put the NHS "on the table" in talks with the U.S. over a possible post-Brexit trade pact.

As voters headed to the polls Wednesday, Corbyn tweeted, "Boris Johnson will sell-off our NHS, and that's the tea."

"Today, vote to save our NHS," Corbyn said. "Vote for a pay rise. Vote for free childcare. Vote for lower fares and bills. Vote for real change. Vote for Labour."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/12/its-happening-declares-jeremy-corbyn-early-uk-election-reports-suggest-longest

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

Going to be interesting. Got one generation trying to defend a legacy and another trying to make the world better for themselves for the next 30-40 years.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Going to be interesting. Got one generation trying to defend a legacy and another trying to make the world better for themselves for the next 30-40 years.

Exactly!

• Pie 1

after seeing how the establishment media has been cranking up the fugery lately i don't think Corbyn has any chance, but i hope i'm surprised.

i lost all hope when i saw that headline from the bbc saying like "this is the year of dishonest election ads - 2019 election ads found to be misleading" when in actuality 88% of tory ads were found to be misleading and 0% of labour ads were found to be misleading.

• Pie 1

And Corbyn, the bait, is now soggy.

Corbyn, the leftist anti-semite, is going to regret not heeding Tony Blair's warning.  Sticky pickle the British left have put themselves into.  

19 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

Corbyn, the leftist anti-semite, is going to regret not heeding Tony Blair's warning.  Sticky pickle the British left have put themselves into.  

who are you to call anyone an antisemite after the poo you pulled in the cop thread? be glad that being an antisemite is allowed on this forum, klanz

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

Corbyn isn't an anti-semite.  But it isn't surprising that you'd call him one, considering you have a habit of calling anyone who opposes Israel's inhumane treatment of Palestinians an anti-semite.

6 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

who are you to call anyone an antisemite after the poo you pulled in the cop thread? be glad that being an antisemite is allowed on this forum, klanz

Oh, is this how it is now?  A false accusation has legs just because you, a known liar, says it is true.  

Yes, Corbyn is considered an anti-semite.   By British Jews...

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/12/british-jews-are-worried-jeremy-corbyn-and-labour-party/603259/

Don't take my word for it.  

the moral of this story is that the filth in power will not allow you to simply vote them out. where britain's left goes next is what's important. i have a feeling they're going to take the right lessons from this. excited to see where this goes.

Just now, g5jamz said:

Oh, is this how it is now?  A false accusation has legs just because you, a known liar, says it is true.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/12/british-jews-are-worried-jeremy-corbyn-and-labour-party/603259/

too late klanz, we've all seen the posts

Just now, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

too late klanz, we've all seen the posts

Post them.  You'll see what kind of manipulative tool you're trying to be.  And a troll.  Case in point...this thread.  

9 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

I won't.

The fact of the matter is that Corbyn has an impressive record of supporting Jewish communal initiatives. For instance he was recently supportive of Jewish efforts to facilitate the speedy issue of death certificates by the north London coroner. In 2015 he took part in a ceremony in his Islington constituency to commemorate the founding of the North London Synagogue. In 2010 he put his name to an Early Day Motion (tabled by Diane Abbott) calling on the UK government to facilitate the settlement of Yemeni Jews in Britain. Indeed I could fill this entire article with a list of philo-Semitic EDMs that Corbyn has signed since he was first elected as Labour MP for Islington North in 1983.

In 1987 the West London Synagogue approached Islington Council with a startling proposal: to sell its original cemetery to property developers, destroying the gravestones and digging-up and reburying the bodies lying under them. This cemetery (dating from 1840) was not merely of great historic and architectural interest – in the view of orthodox Jews, the deliberate destruction of a cemetery is sacrilegious. So when Islington Council granted the planning application, a Jewish-led and ultimately successful campaign was launched to have the decision reversed. I was part of that campaign. So was Jeremy Corbyn. Meanwhile, the then-leader of Islington Council (1982-92), whose decision to permit the destruction of the cemetery was eventually overturned, was none other than Margaret Hodge (though it is unclear whether she personally was in favour of the proposal).

I have deliberately omitted from this discussion any consideration of Corbyn’s attitude to Zionism and whether anti-Zionism is inherently anti-Semitic. All I will say here – as a proud Zionist – is that in my view context is, again, paramount.

I will agree that from time to time, as backbench MP and party leader, Corbyn has acted unwisely. But the grounds for labelling him an anti-Semite simply do not exist.

Geoffrey Alderman is Professor of Politics, University of Buckingham.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/05/is-jeremy-corbyn-really-anti-semitic/

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth