Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Would you have re-signed Thompson ahead of Bradberry?

They're having that debate on the radio right now, and it's pretty good question.

Contract negotiations are complicated things. Just because you offer a contract doesn't mean the player will accept it. But the base question is still a valid one.

So which player would you have prioritized, and why?

Bradberry no question. With the number of talented receivers in the South you need a corner that can at least slow them down. Bradberry does this on a consistent basis. 

Shaq is a pretty good lb but not as important to this team as Brad is... and definitely not worth the money Hurney gave him.

• Pie 6

Bradberry is more important. Do you really want Dante Jackson covering Julio Jones? 

Edited by Snake
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

It doesn't matter because they're both getting re-signed.

• Pie 5

Honestly, Bradberry should have been signed last offseason, before he could literally taste free agency.

But to answer your question, yes, I would have signed the harder to replace position before signing the easier one.

Take a look at our secondary, it ain't real pretty.

• Pie 4

I think it's equal. It will be more difficult to come to terms with Bradberry because of the cornerback market. He probably wants elite CB money in the $14m +/- range but the team may say he's not worth that because the Panthers are the heaviest zone team in the league.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Honestly, Bradberry should have been signed last offseason, before he could literally taste free agency.

But to answer your question, yes, I would have signed the harder to replace position before signing the easier one.

Take a look at our secondary, it ain't real pretty.

Someone pointed out that the only starting corner we have under contract next year is Donte Jackson.

Jackson as a number one corner? Yeah, definitely "not pretty".

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

I would say Bradberry, because with a new coach comes new scheme and who knows where Shaq is really going to fit. And above average corners are much harder to come by than LBs. 

I don't think it matters who is first so long as he is extended, this isn't really a debate, available money isn't the issue, price is likely why it's still pending. 

• Pie 1

Not unless Bradbury wanted more than he is worth  and we had to move along and not pay a zone CB $15 million a year. Looking at what we overpaid for Shaq, maybe he wants $20 million and I would easily say no to that, not that I believe Hurney wouldn't overpay and pat himself on the back. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Bradberry no question. With the number of talented receivers in the South you need a corner that can at least slow them down. Bradberry does this on a consistent basis. 

Shaq is a pretty good lb but not as important to this team as Brad is... and definitely not worth the money Hurney gave him.

Comparing contracts for 2 positions is like comparing a merry-go-round to the Fury 325 at Carowinds. That being said, Shaq Thompson today is nearly identical to where Thomas Davis was in his 4th and 5th seasons. His tackles continue to increase, sacks increase, tackles for loss consistent and he's already a better pass defender than Thomas Davis ever was, and I think TD should be a HOF linebacker based on his numbers and longevity following 3 ACLs. So, although there seems to be a lot of people here who don't give Thompson his due, I would offer that Shaq Thompson is about as close to a clone replacement of TD as you'll ever see.

The average CB salary right now is $2.5M. Sure, you've got guys like Richard Sherman ($9M), D.J. Hayden ($6.3M), and the tandem of Jones & McCourty in New England making $7M &$6M each, but even if Bradberry were in the upper tier of the CB salary range, you're still looking at a $3.5-4M annual salary. 

Conversely, OLBs average $2.7M, but you've got guys like Mack ($23.5M), Von Miller ($16.5M), Barr ($13.5M), so the LB position has a much higher ceiling value than CB does. 

Lot easier to work a deal when the salary range is between $2.5M and $7M than it is if that range is $3M to $15M. Besides, this is Carolina doing what they've always done- give more attention to LBs than DBs, both in the draft and contract negotiations.   

• Pie 5