Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sounds like those owners need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make some extra millions so that they can afford to pay their coaches ~\_(ツ)_/~

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Boo hoo hoo....Tepper should just tell the other owners to get their weight up and learn how to play big boy ball. 

Nut up or shut up.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I mean, don't get me wrong.  On one hand I definitely get it.

But on the other hand it feels like coaches have a much stronger say in the development and success of a team than a great punter.  So regardless of the "why" (which I totally get), in that out of context perspective it just looks weird to me.  The years of a contract always impress me more than the money per year.

Yeah when you look at it through that lens of who/what has more impact, it does look kinda weird. But if you wanna see something really strange, start looking at the bloat in college coaching staffs in revenue generating programs. They aren’t for profit so they have no accountability to shareholders to keep costs down nor meaningful oversight because the coach is usually the highest paid employee of the school.

3 hours ago, trueblade said:

Narrows it down to Quinn, Arians, or Payton.

FWIW it doesn't say head coach.

It's a brilliant maneuver.  I'm pretty sure Tepper is the richest owner in the NFL by a decently wide margin.  Why not drive the price up and give the other owners some serious heartburn when negotiating contracts to get quality coaches brought in?

17 minutes ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

I'd rather pay a good coach $10+ million than any running back that much.

I actually agree that we cannot pay CMC as a top paid back when his deal comes up but your constant anti-CMC thread spamming is just goofy and has no context other than just trolling.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I actually agree that we cannot pay CMC as a top paid back when his deal comes up but your constant anti-CMC thread spamming is just goofy and has no context other than just trolling.

lol i'm not anti-cmc. i think he's incredible for what he provides.

my point was paying any running back that much is ludicrous when you're not willing to pay your coach even half that.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

lol i'm not anti-cmc. i think he's incredible for what he provides.

my point was paying any running back that much is ludicrous when you're not willing to pay your coach even half that.

Yeah but you keep spamming it in different threads. In this one it's just a weird tangent. 

To that point, I actually completely agree and have been researching it for a thread I am planning on throwing up(probably will get poo'ed like hell). It's just not a successful strategy in the modern NFL to have a bunch of money tied up at RB. Even with the league experiencing a LOT of success running the ball, it largely was without the top paid backs. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

At the low end of the Panther deal he doubles his salary 

Damn didn’t know that.

But if you own a company and you want to put more money into a hire you expect to be worth it and better quality then I see no issue and neither should other business minded folk. Should be about beating the competition not taming it.

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but you keep spamming it in different threads. In this one it's just a weird tangent. 

To that point, I actually completely agree and have been researching it for a thread I am planning on throwing up(probably will get poo'ed like hell). It's just not a successful strategy in the modern NFL to have a bunch of money tied up at RB. Even with the league experiencing a LOT of success running the ball, it largely was without the top paid backs. 

I agree but cmc is a little different. The dude could move to the slot permanently and probably be the best slot receiver in the game. He is a freak of nature.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)

What you're seeing is a shift in power within the NFL.

Tepper came in and took some time to get his bearings and evaluate things.  But now, he's ready to make his move.  He's the richest owner, and he's also probably the toughest.  He's not a blowhard like Jerry Jones, he's a shark ready to attack. 

He's been a scrapper his whole life and is used to fighting to get what he wants.  And he has the resources to impose his will when he feels the need.  He'll play the game up to a point, but when there is something he wants, there is nobody in the league that can keep him doing whatever he can to get it...and in the process he won't give a fug.

Edited by Woodie
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)

Double post

Edited by Woodie

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I agree but cmc is a little different. The dude could move to the slot permanently and probably be the best slot receiver in the game. He is a freak of nature.

But he isn't going to be a slot WR, he's going to be a RB. The mileage and beating is completely different. CMC isn't terribly unique, although rare. He's basically LaDainian Tomlinson 2.0. Luckily he isn't getting nearly the mileage LT did during his career(LT's 16 game career low in carries is higher than CMC's 16 game career high). But it IS very similar to another guy like CMC....Marshall Faulk. Both Faulk and LT started to drop off significantly at around 28/29(not atypical for a RB). That is pretty much my expectation. CMC will end up dropping off his production around that 28/29 range, which would be a really bad time to be in a 5 year "highest in the NFL" contract. 

Plus, with CMC doing amazing things offensively.....did it net us many wins? That's the issue with RB's in the modern NFL. The "feature back" is a thing of the past. It is a QB driven league, even with successful running teams. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

But he isn't going to be a slot WR, he's going to be a RB. The mileage and beating is completely different. CMC isn't terribly unique, although rare. He's basically LaDainian Tomlinson 2.0. Luckily he isn't getting nearly the mileage LT did during his career(LT's 16 game career low in carries is higher than CMC's 16 game career high). But it IS very similar to another guy like CMC....Marshall Faulk. Both Faulk and LT started to drop off significantly at around 28/29(not atypical for a RB). That is pretty much my expectation. CMC will end up dropping off his production around that 28/29 range, which would be a really bad time to be in a 5 year "highest in the NFL" contract. 

Plus, with CMC doing amazing things offensively.....did it net us many wins? That's the issue with RB's in the modern NFL. The "feature back" is a thing of the past. It is a QB driven league, even with successful running teams. 

I don’t disagree with any of that about rbs in general and the contract. I’ve said he probably has 2 or 3 more 1k years running the ball. My thought is when he starts breaking down he can be moved to the slot to further his career justifying the contract a bit more. And no cmc’s wr skills are far superior to LT’s or MF’s. He is a legit route running wr. Those two had great hands but were mostly used for screens. Cmc runs precision routes that slot receivers run. Like he could’ve been drafted as a pure slot receiver in the second or third round. Also I’ve stated if we sign cam long term again, let cmc walk. If we don’t sign cam, sign cmc get a young qb on a rookie deal and pray to allah we win a super bowl ala marshawn and RW 

Edited by TheRumGone