Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Spent the last 15 minutes trying to find what I was referring to but I can’t remember what the treatment was called and there isn’t much on it to begin with since it’s still not really being used outside of testing. I did another interesting bit of research regarding hyberbaric treatment which is pretty interesting and sounds fairly promising though. 

https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/publications/esp/hbot-supplemental.pdf

https://www.o2oasis.com/internationally-treated-conditions/post-concussion-encephalopathy/

https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/674334.pdf

again, those aren’t actually what I was even referring to but still very promising. 

Looks like there's a lot of criticism of Omalu coming out now. He's being portrayed as more of a self promoter than a doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Looks like there's a lot of criticism of Omalu coming out now. He's being portrayed as more of a self promoter than a doctor.

Not really surprising. On the other hand, lots of people criticize new or alternative treatments for things because they don’t understand it or because it’s bad news for big pharma so I always walk a thin line with both the claims and the critics 

My grandfather elected to undergo radiation therapy for his colon cancer. His doctors said it would not work and basically forbade him to have this treatment. Said there was no science behind it, this was some new trendy alternative to cancer treatment that absolutely did not work and if he didn’t start traditional treatment immediately then the cancer would spread and he would die.

My grandfather probably would rather just die then go through the traditional cancer treatment. So against his doctors he went to a place in Tennessee for two week visits for this radiation therapy. In two months all of his cancer was gone. ALL. His doctor here was in disbelief. His verdict? He said he had never seen anything like it, could not believe my grandpa had such an amazing turnaround and... still did not believe this method worked and would not recommend to any of his other patients.

So like I said. Both the claims and the critics should be taken with a grain of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Not really surprising. On the other hand, lots of people criticize new or alternative treatments for things because they don’t understand it or because it’s bad news for big pharma so I always walk a thin line with both the claims and the critics 

My grandfather elected to undergo radiation therapy for his colon cancer. His doctors said it would not work and basically forbade him to have this treatment. Said there was no science behind it, this was some new trendy alternative to cancer treatment that absolutely did not work and if he didn’t start traditional treatment immediately then the cancer would spread and he would die.

My grandfather probably would rather just die then go through the traditional cancer treatment. So against his doctors he went to a place in Tennessee for two week visits for this radiation therapy. In two months all of his cancer was gone. ALL. His doctor here was in disbelief. His verdict? He said he had never seen anything like it, could not believe my grandpa had such an amazing turnaround and... still did not believe this method worked and would not recommend to any of his other patients.

So like I said. Both the claims and the critics should be taken with a grain of salt.

Doctors are rarely as all knowing as people portray them to be (something good doctors freely admit). And to be fair, it sounds like the criticism being directed at Omalu is coming from numerous people within his own field.

Admittedly, I'm always a little suspicious when someone starts getting the "hollywood" treatment. The real people behind stories like Argo, Good Morning Vietnam and other stories say a good portion of what's in their "based on true events" movies is made up bullsh-t.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Doctors are rarely as all knowing as people portray them to be (something good doctors freely admit). And to be fair, it sounds like the criticism being directed at Omalu is coming from numerous people within his own field.

Admittedly, I'm always a little suspicious when someone starts getting the "hollywood" treatment. The real people behind stories like Argo, Good Morning Vietnam and other stories say a good portion of what's in their "based on true events" movies is made up bullsh-t.

The biggest reason true events movies are still half fiction is that Hollywood studios are businesses run by accountants and executives, not producers, directors and writers. These people are not interested in telling accurate stories, they are interested in predictable profits. The way to make  filmmaking predictably profitable is to boil every type of movie down to a formula.

The formula for “the righteous crusading outsider” has certain elements. If you want your project green lit, it must have these elements, whether they happened or not. Thus every story of this type follows the formula or it doesn’t get made.

Edited by 1of10Charnatives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

The biggest reason true events movies are still half fiction is that Hollywood studios are businesses run by accountants and executives, not producers, directors and writers. These people are not interested in telling accurate stories, they are interested in predictable profits. The way to make  filmmaking predictably profitable is to boil every type of movie down to a formula.

The formula for “the righteous crusading outsider” has certain elements. If you want your project green lit, it must have these elements, whether they happened or not. Thus every story of this type follows the formula or it doesn’t get made.

Pretty much. Unfortunately, dumb people are more likely to believe something they saw in a movie than seek out the actual truth (and there are an awful lot of dumb people out there).

I remember Adrian Cronauer talking about how he'd tell one of the movie guys a story, and they'd say "Hey, that's great, but what if this happened instead?" And they'd keep changing little details, then big details, and before long it bore almost zero resemblance to what actually happened.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Matt LaFleur has decided not to part ways with Mike Pettine...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Spent the last 15 minutes trying to find what I was referring to but I can’t remember what the treatment was called and there isn’t much on it to begin with since it’s still not really being used outside of testing. I did another interesting bit of research regarding hyberbaric treatment which is pretty interesting and sounds fairly promising though. 

https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/publications/esp/hbot-supplemental.pdf

https://www.o2oasis.com/internationally-treated-conditions/post-concussion-encephalopathy/

https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/674334.pdf

again, those aren’t actually what I was even referring to but still very promising. 

thanks man,  i really appreciate you doing that.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's one that I wouldn't have minded us picking up, though James Campen has the better resumè.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Apparently Matt LaFleur has decided not to part ways with Mike Pettine...

 

Its weird that this was even something that was being talked about.  Pettine had a top 10 defense and it literally carried the team at times.  I'm guessing he's as good as gone after next season if LeFluer was thinking about it after a good year.  I'm going to assume he must have a buddy he wants to hire for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Its weird that this was even something that was being talked about.  Pettine had a top 10 defense and it literally carried the team at times.  I'm guessing he's as good as gone after next season if LeFluer was thinking about it after a good year.  I'm going to assume he must have a buddy he wants to hire for the job.

Well, ya gotta blame somebody.

I mean, can't be your fault, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Broncos OC Pat Shurmur might be bringing a plus one...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...