Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Dex

With Shaq most likely moving to MLB... Will Burns play OLB in Rhule's 4-3?

5 minutes ago, Dex said:

I think it's a legitimate question.

What did the Broncos do early in Vons career, were they 4-3 with him as OLB? I know he rushed a lot and would have his hand in the dirt. I can’t remember what Oakland ran early in Mack’s career either. Whatever those teams did for those guys, let’s replicate that (for Burns) haha. 

Edited by The Lobo
  • Pie 2

I don't see Burns making the move, but I can see Haynes playing OLB. 

• Pie 1

Burns is not a sideline to sideline LB, he is an edge rusher. Having him anywhere else on the field would be a disservice and taking him away from what he does best.

Now about Shaq moving back to the outside or staying in the middle, that is a very good question. I could see him staying in the middle if we drafted someone like Simmons in the 1st. 

Edited by panthers34
  • Pie 1

You either try to teach Burns how to play weak side in a 4-3 (very difficult but with big upside) or have him pack on some more pounds and put his hand in the dirt (likely better situation and ability to be a consistent 10+ sack guy, but possibly weak in run D). Honestly though, if we’re going to a 4-3 I’d look into trading Burns. Wouldn’t give him away for free, but possibly would consider it for even an early 2nd, ideally a 1st to a team that runs a 3-4. He really is much better suited to 3-4.

Honestly  I'm not even sure what is going to happen after all this. Burns can play OLB for sure, I'm not sure if he's well suited for that instead of a DE. I'd think it would be easier for him to pack a couple of pounds and be a DE. But who knows. 

Burns should be moved to DE not OLB. Two prime examples of what he can be.....

2299D740-FBF5-4AF3-9403-B8039FA78C0B.jpeg.bf6000795b914fb99809b9964c117774.jpegDFC9B684-01AA-4F51-9401-0AA34F7BF929.jpeg.84388d44addced5c27e3bcd34b2b76c3.jpeg

• Pie 4

You don't draft a pass rusher in the first and play him out of position away from the los. 

He will play DE, even if he can't handle the run he is still very valuable coming in fresh as a situation rusher. Sacks ends drives! 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, The Lobo said:

What did the Broncos do early in Vons career, were they 4-3 with him as OLB? I know he rushed a lot and would have his hand in the dirt. I can’t remember what Oakland ran early in Mack’s career either. Whatever those teams did for those guys, let’s replicate that (for Burns) haha. 

they ran a 3-4 defense where a LB plays essentially as a defensive end

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, beo said:

they ran a 3-4 defense where a LB plays essentially as a defensive end

Not the whole time. The broncos used him as a 4-3 Sam backer for a good chunk of his career. They didn't switch to the 3-4 until 2015 when they hired Wade Phillips.