Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ladypanther

Question about one of Luke's concussions

This is a good article by Jordan Rodrique. 

https://theathletic.com/1534875/2020/01/14/luke-kuechly-is-fearless-thats-how-he-played-the-game-and-thats-how-he-walks-away-from-it/

One of the things she said caught my eye:

The first time I saw Kuechly cry, he was riding off the field on a golf cart — frightened, sobbing and unseeing, late one Thursday night under a November sky and stadium lights.

"Unseeing"...was he temporarily blinded by that concussion??       Would explain why he seemed so shaken.

Anyone know?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I don’t know this but I think she just means unaware or unable to comprehend anything that was happening.
The sobbing wasn’t really a response from Luke knowing something bad happened, it was his Brain dealing w shock and all the chemicals that we’re already flowing and probably also were dumped when he got hit. You saw it, he had no idea what was going on and basically just relied on the staff to take care of him and get him off of the field.

• Pie 1

It’s definitely possible he had his vision temporarily fazed as a result of the concussion.

Unseeing can also mean unaware which is also plausible due to the concussion. 

Edited by ZeroZeroSeven
  • Pie 1

During my only concussion I lost my vision for a few minutes. It really scared me too. 

33 minutes ago, PantherBoy95 said:

Man, one day I may at least have to start the Athletic Free Trial.  Their content seems amazing

It’s worth it. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, thennek said:

During my only concussion I lost my vision for a few minutes. It really scared me too. 

I also saw black during my only concussion, for less than a minute tho

Scary poo. Also, was upsetting to read the tweet that he was hiding and dealing with other injuries towards the end. 

11 minutes ago, Ship said:

Scary poo. Also, was upsetting to read the tweet that he was hiding and dealing with other injuries towards the end. 

Did not see that...can you copy?

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

"Unseeing"...was he temporarily blinded by that concussion??       Would explain why he seemed so shaken.

I suffered a grade 2 concussion while playing in high school and lost 95% of my vision temporarily. I never lost consciousness, but all I saw were black stars and the only thing that was somewhat clear was my peripheral vision.

Greg is fielding broadcast offers while he decides if he's going to retire. I'd say its pretty likely if a good offer comes through. 

As far as Luke, I think his shoulders were starting to bother him a lot and surgery's werent helping as much. 

Edited by carpanfan96

you can definitely lose your eyesight as a symptom of a concussion 

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

Greg is fielding broadcast offers while he decides if he's going to retire. I'd say its pretty likely if a good offer comes through. 

As far as Luke, I think his shoulders were starting to bother him a lot and surgery's werent helping as much. 

I am wondering this as well about Luke, was there more to it then the concussions? I feel he had to be playing with some other injuries that got worse as the season progressed and hindered his strength and agility. He almost sounded like he felt he was soon to be a liability even though this year imo he still played at a high level, maybe not Luke high, but far above your average MLB. He had to feel some of the runs given up were his fault.....

Edited by Matt62881

Will never forget watching that game and that concussion, that word choice only darkens it even more.  Obviously concussions have been a topic in the league for years, but that game drove it home to me how scary and real the issue is. Seeing a super human All-Pro hero figure sobbing and looking lost, man that poo was rough. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Will never forget watching that game and that concussion, that word choice only darkens it even more.  Obviously concussions have been a topic in the league for years, but that game drove it home to me how scary and real the issue is. Seeing a super human All-Pro hero figure sobbing and looking lost, man that poo was rough. 

I was at that game...I had binoculars and focused in on Luke...will never forget what I saw....he seemed in such distress and there seemed to be so much concern around him. It was so sad to watch.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2