Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

I keep hearing that Rhule is great at motivating and getting the most out of his players. Whether that trait will carry over to the NFL is still questionable. If it does carry over there are a couple of players he may really rejuvenate. The obvious one is Jackson. He has talent and looked like the real deal his rookie year, but dropped off last year and it all seems to be mental. I feel Rhule is going to turn him back into a solid CB (maybe NB depending on our depth). The other player I’m curious about is Greg Little. I know he had concussion issues last year, but when he was playing late in the season he looked less stellar than his first couple starts. As far as athletic ability and physical traits, Little looks the part of a solid NFL LT. If Rhule can coach/motivate this guy our offensive line is going to be so much better with Daley being depth or challenging our LG (hopefully we draft or sign one). 

Anyone else have any players that Rhule might be able rejuvenate their careers? I know Little was just a rookie, but a lot of us were already writing him off. 

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I know Little was just a rookie, but a lot of us were already writing him off. 

Unless Rhule possesses some sort of magic potion that prevents concussions I think Little's days here are numbered.

• Pie 1

Trai Turner seems to have gone to sleep since his big contract

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, stirs said:

Trai Turner seems to have gone to sleep since his big contract

Yet he's at the Probowl. And you know he did not get there by fan popularity vote. Go figure.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Once they stoped protecting him through playcalling Little looked bad. 2 concusions and IRed for a high ankle sprain. Looks like a long shot and his arrow is deffinatly red and pointing down. Best thing i can say at this point is that at least the new OC can probibly sheme around his awefulness.

I'm hoping Jackson is a player that can make a 180°. Attitude and playing technique are exactly where he could improve his game and his paycheck. He just has to buy in and give this new regime his effort. They sound tailored to turning his funk around.

Other players that could go from maybe to very good that I would love to see are Moton, Armah, Thomas, Burns and the whole other pack of young DE/Edge/4-3 LB guys. I would love better play from any of the older guys but these young guys on their rookie contracts are the future and need development.

Edit: Doh. Add Moore and Samuels to the list. Moore has produced but is still young. My goodness he could hit that next tear with good coaching.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

Rhule had height thresholds for his DBs in college. Don’t think he had any one under 6’0. Dante is out if that’s the case. 

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Once they stoped protecting him through playcalling Little looked bad. 2 concusions and IRed for a high ankle sprain. Looks like a long shot and his arrow is deffinatly red and pointing down. Best thing i can say at this point is that at least the new OC can probibly sheme around his awefulness.

I'm hoping Jackson is a player that can make a 180°. Attitude and playing technique are exactly where he could improve his game and his paycheck. He just has to buy in and give this new regime his effort. They sound tailored to turning his funk around.

Other players that could go from maybe to very good that I would love to see are Moton, Armah, Thomas, Burns and the whole other pack of young DE/Edge/4-3 LB guys. I would love better play from any of the older guys but these young guys on their rookie contracts are the future and need development.

Thomas is a good call. He seems to have all the tools to thrive.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

if he can work some magic with paradis, we could be looking much better than expected. whether that's possible or not remains to be seen.

Edited by billionairemonk
grammar
  • Beer 1

39 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Yet he's at the Probowl. And you know he did not get there by fan popularity vote. Go figure.

Maybe, but even the players, coaches, and fans have all demonstrated a bad habit at times of voting on past reputation. I watched the games this year and Turner making the Pro Bowl makes me question whether anybody voting for him did. If your line gives up 58 sacks and only moves the ball on the ground halfway decently with CMC carrying the rock, nobody on it should be going to Hawaii.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Maybe, but even the players, coaches, and fans have all demonstrated a bad habit at times of voting on past reputation. I watched the games this year and Turner making the Pro Bowl makes me question whether anybody voting for him did. If your line gives up 58 sacks and only moves the ball on the ground halfway decently with CMC carrying the rock, nobody on it should be going to Hawaii.

Think we're forgetting that the guard/center relationship is big. Paradis is a much bigger issue, I think. Turner looked fine with Kalil. Then you factor in our tackle situation being up and down, we have potential communication errors across the board. Center-to-guard being wrong leads to guard-to-tackle being wrong. Tackle being bad leads to guards being worse than they'd otherwise look.

• Pie 3

47 minutes ago, Man Strength said:

Rhule had height thresholds for his DBs in college. Don’t think he had any one under 6’0. Dante is out if that’s the case. 

Both starting corners and a safety were below 6'0 this season . One starting safety was 6'0

Edited by Moo Daeng

Turner has only been OK since he got his contract. I think he is underwhelming but OK is better than the holes we have. He better turn it around or he will be a canidate to be a cap casualty if we are able to plug some holes this year. There are hungry OGs in the 2nd through 4th rounds that could give OK a run for that money. I hope he does but he needs to bring his A game this year.

I cant wait to see Burns getting more snaps. He was a difference maker in the beginning of the year. I think he will respond very well to Rhule.

20 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Think we're forgetting that the guard/center relationship is big. Paradis is a much bigger issue, I think. Turner looked fine with Kalil. Then you factor in our tackle situation being up and down, we have potential communication errors across the board. Center-to-guard being wrong leads to guard-to-tackle being wrong. Tackle being bad leads to guards being worse than they'd otherwise look.

This whole guard/center relationship thing is one where I just have defer to others for lack of any in depth experience or understanding. All I know is that nobody on that line looked good this year. The rookies had flashes and Moton looked like he was at least holding it together for the most part. I hope the new staff can fix it, and if they can do so without mostly having to acquire new players I would be all for it.

The rub is that I’m skeptical of risking any qb’s health or development on that sort of gamble as opposed to giving clear priority to upgrading personnel. I’m willing to give Turner some benefit of the doubt based on past performance and not having the luxury of fixing everything at once.

But anybody who tries to tell me it’s worth just hoping new coaches can make the same line magically play tons better is gonna get a big ole plate of steaming hot skepticism.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

This whole guard/center relationship thing is one where I just have defer to others for lack of any in depth experience or understanding. All I know is that nobody on that line looked good this year. The rookies had flashes and Moton looked like he was at least holding it together for the most part. I hope the new staff can fix it, and if they can do so without mostly having to acquire new players I would be all for it.

The rub is that I’m skeptical of risking any qb’s health or development on that sort of gamble as opposed to giving clear priority to upgrading personnel. I’m willing to give Turner some benefit of the doubt based on past performance and not having the luxury of fixing everything at once.

But anybody who tries to tell me it’s worth just hoping new coaches can make the same line magically play tons better is gonna get a big ole plate of steaming hot skepticism.

I get the skepticism, but it’s a similar thought to players doing better on other teams. The whole change of scenery thought process has some merit to it. Rhule and his staff are claiming to run schemes to fit his rosters strengths. For example, running a press man coverage with CBs who are better at man versus making them play zone. I feel Rivera made players play in his scheme if there were a fit or not. Plus some coaches are just better at motivating players. Think of the players who leave the patriots and struggle like Collins did on the Browns. If you can get players to “buy in” to your style and scheme it makes a huge difference.

• Pie 1