Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

NFL should definitely copy this, but never will.

Recommended Posts



I would love it but the NFL and networks would rather go to commercial and make that money.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya I don’t think it’s the NFL as much as the network contracts. Maybe on the next go round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously doubt the NFL would ever be that transparent.

If, for example, they had allowed everyone to look in on the process of reviewing one of the calls that went against the Saints, their fanbase most certainly would have seized on some comment that was made as proof of a conspiracy.

The XFL can afford it, though mind you I think the constant sideline interviews with coaches and players are dumb.

Side Note: The NBA should make the lottery selection process public too, but that ain't happnin' either.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly it feels a little gimmicky to me. Maybe make all of that stuff available after the game, but it doesn’t need to be shown in real time. 

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Honestly it feels a little gimmicky to me. Maybe make all of that stuff available after the game, but it doesn’t need to be shown in real time. 

Strikes me as extremely reasonable. Probably the best approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Strikes me as extremely reasonable. Probably the best approach.

Thus confirming it's not gonna happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How strong is the ref union for the NFL?

At the end of the day, those guys just don't want to be held accountable.

  • Pie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Related: Sean Payton says improved football tracking technology is coming

Quote

While speaking with Peter King for Football Morning in America, Payton said that he expects to see “the ball crossing the plane of the goal line, and the uprights flashing yellow, just like the shot clock in the NBA” as part of the game in the near future. That comes after a Super Bowl week appearance on PFT Live that featured Payton discussing the Saints’ use of technology for tracking their own players, which he called “a target and simple barcode system that helps you locate track and be more accurate.”

Flashing uprights? :thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I guess like goal line tech in soccer.

Personally, and I know I'm an outlier for sure, but I prefer a little less "perfection" in sport. I like that the officiating is an imperfect element that informs the narrative of contests - just like the imperfect players and coaches.

If we continue down the road that we've started walking on - the road of expecting to get every thing exactly right (an impossibility anyway), we may as well just run digital simulations instead of on-field competition.

  • Pie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Yeah, I guess like goal line tech in soccer.

Personally, and I know I'm an outlier for sure, but I prefer a little less "perfection" in sport. I like that the officiating is an imperfect element that informs the narrative of contests - just like the imperfect players and coaches.

If we continue down the road that we've started walking on - the road of expecting to get every thing exactly right (an impossibility anyway), we may as well just run digital simulations instead of on-field competition.

I'm of a similar mindset, actually.

  • Pie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

How strong is the ref union for the NFL?

At the end of the day, those guys just don't want to be held accountable.

Yep pretty much this. Remember the replacement refs? It’s definitely a hard damn job to do right and they get a lot of sh*t but they could definitely be better and just don’t want to be held accountable like you said. They have much more leverage now after the 2012 replacement refs debacle, because as bad as they are now, they could even be much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yep pretty much this. Remember the replacement refs? It’s definitely a hard damn job to do right and they get a lot of sh*t but they could definitely be better and just don’t want to be held accountable like you said. They have much more leverage now after the 2012 replacement refs debacle, because as bad as they are now, they could even be much worse.

Agreed.

I also think the NFL is being wholly lazy in not implementing 10 year old technology to perfectly place the balls.  There is no reason for a 65 year old man to be sprinting down the sideline trying to evaluate where a punt went out of bounds, or for two 65 year old men to be holding MF'ing sticks tied together with 30 feet of chain.

It's downright stupid...but here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm of a similar mindset, actually.

Ditto.  As much as I hate on the refs. They are a necessary evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Agreed.

I also think the NFL is being wholly lazy in not implementing 10 year old technology to perfectly place the balls.  There is no reason for a 65 year old man to be sprinting down the sideline trying to evaluate where a punt went out of bounds, or for two 65 year old men to be holding MF'ing sticks tied together with 30 feet of chain.

It's downright stupid...but here we are.

At the end of the day it's a league controlled almost entirely by a group of older ridiculously wealthy men living in bygone eras.

The fact that these shenanigans continue should be of no surprise to anyone honestly.

Edited by TheRed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...