Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real1zOnly

For those who want to tank for Trevor Lawrence?

5 hours ago, t96 said:

If tanking this year (1-2 wins) brings us Trevor Lawrence and at least 1 SB win win him, you wouldn’t be a Tepper fan?

Nope. We went to the SB in 2015 and I still wasn't a Richardson fan.

I highly doubt we'll be tanking this season unless Cam doesn't work out. Imagine the team tanks again and CMC is out there having another record breaking season. 

He's gonna be out of here.

Tanking ????

Who buys a ticket for a game if you know your team is in tanking mode?

Who will watch a game if .....?

Which player will try his best if the team is in tanking mode ?

Is it in players' best self-interest to not perform at their highest level?

Revenue of a stadium half-filled ?

etc etc

Ya'll are out of your mind if you think that a team, any team, will purposely "tank".  On top of that, it does not make you a true fan.  I want my team to fight for and win every single game !!

6 hours ago, panthers55 said:

That is the same as losing on.purpose. if you have the capacity to field a competitive team, you owe it to the fans to do that. If we have another losing season this year that will be the third losing in a row under this owner. Tanking for a high draft pick is a dumb idea given that nothing in the draft is guaranteed.

This team is not close to being competitive nor is it a few players away from competing. 

Tepper doesn't owe the fans anything, that's ridiculous.  The Panthers you have known since inception no longer exist.  He is going to build this team in his own image from the ground up.

What you see taking place now is them trying to decide who fits his idea of the culture he is looking for in his team.  The rest of his team will come from the draft and udfa.  Notice the guys they did sign are only on a 1 year deal.

Make no mistake about it this team is in full on rebuild mode.   Prepare to see more fan favorites depart soon.

I don’t think rebuilding is tanking. Building a team is a process, losing is part of that. Losing now to win big later. 

4 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Nope. We went to the SB in 2015 and I still wasn't a Richardson fan.

Went to. Didn’t win. I don’t think anybody is a Richardson fan.

2 hours ago, mbarbour21 said:

I don’t think rebuilding is tanking. Building a team is a process, losing is part of that. Losing now to win big later. 

Exactly. Funny to see some people saying Tepper’s 3 losing seasons if we “tank” and they are the ones who fully supported Ron and Marty who got us here in 2 Marty offseasons.

Tank is a bad word but this team isn’t close to a contender, Cam or not. We are rebuilding and they could choose to let FAs walk to save cap and get comp picks. It wouldn’t shock me to see us get a 3rd for Bradberry, a 4th/5th for McCoy, and a 5th/6th for each of Boston, Butler and Irvin. Why keep guys who got us to the 31st ranked scoring D? Save cap and get more picks and do what we did in 2001 and 2010, create a better whole team that can get to a SB and this time get a win.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This team is not close to being competitive nor is it a few players away from competing. 

Tepper doesn't owe the fans anything, that's ridiculous.  The Panthers you have known since inception no longer exist.  He is going to build this team in his own image from the ground up.

What you see taking place now is them trying to decide who fits his idea of the culture he is looking for in his team.  The rest of his team will come from the draft and udfa.  Notice the guys they did sign are only on a 1 year deal.

Make no mistake about it this team is in full on rebuild mode.   Prepare to see more fan favorites depart soon.

They don't owe the fans anything? That is ridiculous. Who pays the players salaries? Tepper or the 62,000 who buy tickets and the folks who watch on TV.  Let him keep putting out a losing product on the field and see how empty the stands are this year. If he wants a loyal fan base the team better figure out how to win sooner rather than later or the stadium will be only full of opposing fans on Sunday like it was in 2010.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

They don't owe the fans anything? That is ridiculous. Who pays the players salaries? Tepper or the 62,000 who buy tickets and the folks who watch on TV.  Let him keep putting out a losing product on the field and see how empty the stands are this year. If he wants a loyal fan base the team better figure out how to win sooner rather than later or the stadium will be only full of opposing fans on Sunday like it was in 2010.

And what happened after 2010? We got to pick Cam #1 and Luke #9. Would we have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and had the amazing 2015 season if the team decided we owed it to the fans and tried to field an 8-8 team in 2010 and 2011? Just think big picture. If there’s less people in the stands this year and we build a multi-year contender because of the high picks we get, who cares?

11 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Tepper pays the salaries whether fans show up or not.  Whether he gets a return on his investment will depend on how the team he builds competes.  Fans come and go when the team is as inconsistent as the Panthers are.  That's the nature of the game.  Just like with anything else in life other than taxes no one if forcing you to spending your money in supporting this team.  I certainly do not and probably won't until is see a consistently competitive team.  But to each their own.

Just now, stbugs said:

And what happened after 2010? We got to pick Cam #1 and Luke #9. Would we have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and had the amazing 2015 season if the team decided we owed it to the fans and tried to field an 8-8 team in 2010 and 2011? Just think big picture. If there’s less people in the stands this year and we build a multi-year contender because of the high picks we get, who cares?

And how many of those first round QBs don't work out?  Do you think Lawrence is on par with Cam. Part of what made Cam so great was the fact he represented something new that defenses weren't prepared for. Now dual threat quarterbacks are more the norm than the exception. No guarantee anyone we tank for will be that great.

And the idea that we will end up 8-8 if we don't go full on tank mode is stupid logic. Teams don't have to tank to be good in a few years. Truth is most teams with very high draft picks continue to struggle like Cleveland, Jacksonville etc.  I hate the big picture argument. How about I just suspend my PSLs and season tickets until we have a contender? Maybe all of you who have no skin in the game can just cavalierly ignore the present and wait for 5 years but not me. I bet most PSL owners who built this team don't feel the same way.Good luck getting a new stadium when we can't fill up the one we have.

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Tepper pays the salaries whether fans show up or not.  Whether he gets a return on his investment will depend on how the team he builds competes.  Fans come and go when the team is as inconsistent as the Panthers are.  That's the nature of the game.  Just like with anything else in life other than taxes no one if forcing you to spending your money in supporting this team.  I certainly do not and probably won't until is see a consistently competitive team.  But to each their own.

With what money do you think???  How about 62000 times 1000 dollars or 62 million plus more in amenities and millions more in viewership. And yes I am forced to buy season tickets or lose thousands by losing the PSLs which you can't sell for 1/5 of what I paid for them. Atlanta is struggling as folks are turning in their PSLs because they don't want to pay more money for tickets to fund a losing product. I predict that we won't be far behind if we go full tank mode.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

And how many of those first round QBs don't work out?  Do you think Lawrence is on par with Cam. Part of what made Cam so great was the fact he represented something new that defenses weren't prepared for. Now dual threat quarterbacks are more the norm than the exception. No guarantee anyone we tank for will be that great.

And the idea that we will end up 8-8 if we don't go full on tank mode is stupid logic. Teams don't have to tank to be good in a few years. Truth is most teams with very high draft picks continue to struggle like Cleveland, Jacksonville etc.  I hate the big picture argument. How about I just suspend my PSLs and season tickets until we have a contender? Maybe all of you who have no skin in the game can just cavalierly ignore the present and wait for 5 years but not me. I bet most PSL owners who built this team don't feel the same way.Good luck getting a new stadium when we can't fill up the one we have.

Go ahead and sell if you don’t think the team is going in the direction you want. My bet is they’ll still have more than enough to pay the players. It’s your decision to sell low and then have to buy back in later at higher prices. Fans don’t have near the leverage they think they do.

Many teams do continue to struggle. Would I advocate tanking if Blake Bortles or Brady Quinn or Brandon Weedon or even Baker Mayfield were the top QBs? No. Do I think Trevor is a Wilson, Cam, Mahomes, Manning, Brady, Watson, Roethlisberger, etc. type QB who could give you a team that can compete for a title and make the playoffs multiple years? Yes. I would be freaking ecstatic to get Lawrence.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

With what money do you think???  How about 62000 times 1000 dollars or 62 million plus more in amenities and millions more in viewership. And yes I am forced to buy season tickets or lose thousands by losing the PSLs which you can't sell for 1/5 of what I paid for them. Atlanta is struggling as folks are turning in their PSLs because they don't want to pay more money for tickets to fund a losing product. I predict that we won't be far behind if we go full tank mode.

Full on tank mode. Don’t be so dramatic. So you think the 1-15 second half records we’ve had the past two years isn’t driving away fans already? Don’t act like we have a competitive team. We don’t. We’re already rebuilding.

Let me ask you this. If you felt Lawrence could have a Peyton Manning like career, would you rather sit on the sidelines for FA and get the top pick or field a more competitive team and have the 10th pick after going 7-9? Sorry, I’ll forego another mediocre year to draft a CB in the 1st. Give me 2-14 and the top pick that can change the team back to a contender.

Give us your fail proof plan to make the playoffs this year. 

If Lawrence is so good why doesn’t he sit out this season and train with professional QB coaches? Is it because he doesn’t want to take a pay cut while not being at Clempson?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dhanberry

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • This is one of my favorites around here....hell, I made a thread just asking exactly how "Hurney 2.0" has really improved....I got nothing. But here's the best part...posters here will talk about Hurney being better this time, and not making the same mistakes....yet we just paid a RB 1 year too early into his contract, and, well, we paid a running back...top of the heap money at that.  So we got that going for us...not to mention an off ball LB, instead of our best defensive player at a much more valuable position. Next up, and I want all of the "Hurney 2.0" folks out there to realize, we have once again found ourselves in the bottom of the garbage can that is known as the NFL.  Hurney had/has constructed one of the very worst football teams in the history of the Panthers.  Many here were arguing if this team, or the 2010 team had the least amount of talent on it.  Jesus. So we are likely to pick in the top 5...again under Hurney.  Have no depth.  Have one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  And our QB's signed long term are Will Grier (one of your picks you mentioned that we don't have to worry about any longer) and Teddy Bridgewater. I simply have seen zero improvement, but let's don't let wins and losses sway that notion.
    • the whataboutism started so fast i felt like i was being bombarded with facebook talking points. it was a married couple and they started saying the exact same things immediately.  are there FB talking points?  it really seemed scripted
    • Samuel still gets a certain amount of disrespect after all this time, I see... No way I'm putting a rookie who ain't done squat above any vet! And Burns has a lot to prove also.
  • Masters of PIE !