Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
GRWatcher

Thomas Davis SR & Ted Ginn Jr bring Arena Football to Charlotte

Much Congratulations to Thomas Davis and Ted Ginn on their Charlotte venture. I wish them much success...

• Pie 1

So TD just mixed the Panthers colors with the Chargers branding?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Not surprised by TD... must say Ted Ginn being involved is a total surprise.  I wish them both well in this new venture.

And honestly, I wouldn't hate having Ginn back as a backup and deep threat next year.  Letting him go in 2017 was underrated in how bad it hurt us and helped the Saints.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Amazing how many successful/wealthy athletes (former & current) make the entirely voluntary choice to vaporize a large sum of their own personal cash.

SMH.

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

32 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Not surprised by TD... must say Ted Ginn being involved is a total surprise.  I wish them both well in this new venture.

And honestly, I wouldn't hate having Ginn back as a backup and deep threat next year.  Letting him go in 2017 was underrated in how bad it hurt us and helped the Saints.

I thought I was the only one angry at us getting rid of essentially our #1 from the past two years to give Russell Shepperd more money.

It is a little disappointing that there are only 10 teams and they don't have 10 unique names.

9 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

Amazing how many successful/wealthy athletes (former & current) make the entirely voluntary choice to vaporize a large sum of their own personal cash.

SMH.

Well they probably saw up close and personal the opening in the market for a football team in Charlotte.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

SMH.

Bitter much?

• Poo 1

12 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

SMH.

Who knows what being an owner entails and what the financial obligations are. This seems like a barebones operation for sure. I mean http://carolinacowboyz.com/ doesn't even work. 

TD and Ginn are older and i would hope are past the dumb investments. But I would bet whatever investment they made will be gone in a couple of years. Who is going to watch arena football?

As an aside I used to do some work with the Charlotte Rage. Like typing up the play by play and we got to sit on the field. I sat in the box with some NHL announcers one time tracking data. I completely screwed it up but the paid me $100. It was entertaining for a while.

• Pie 1

There are two teams called Thunder. 

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Who knows what being an owner entails and what the financial obligations are. This seems like a barebones operation for sure.

You are correct, it is a bare bones operation.

I just assumed these guys were getting involved with the Arena Football League which has been beset with financial problems years. 

I wasn't aware of it until now but apparently the Arena Football League (AFL) filed bankruptcy on November 27, 2019 and the 6 remaining teams ceased all operations at that time.

It appears that this team owned by Davis and Ginn plays in something called the American Arena League which honestly I have never even heard of.  In fact, the team has been playing in Charlotte for the last 2 years and compiled a 12-5 record and posted back-to-back winning seasons during that time!

It's a low stakes operation, not much money at risk.  Shame on me.

I think I might try to go see a game.  They play at the old Chrome Dome and it's high-scoring 8-man football. 

In addition, the team appears to be pretty good.  Last season they were 6-0 in the regular season and lost the Championship game, posted a 7-1 overall record for 2019.  Pretty good.

• Pie 2