Carolina Huddle

rodeo

2020 General Election Candidates thread

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Sounds like a trump rant on energy star dishwashers but dunno.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-rolls-back-efficiency-standards-for-fast-cycle-dishwashers-pointing-to-long-wash-times-11603490218

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/19/politics/donald-trump-dishwasher-nevada/index.html

"Which brings me to a Trump campaign rally on Sunday night in Nevada. And Trump's latest attempt to convince suburban woman that he is their guy. Here's the pitch:

"Go buy a dishwasher. I said what's wrong with this thing? It doesn't clean the dishes right. The women come up to me, the women who they say don't like me -- they actually do like me a lot. Suburban women, please vote for me. I'm saving your house. I'm saving your community. I'm keeping your crime way down."

OK, so. The logic behind this argument goes like this.

1.Suburban women are the ones who do the dishes in their households 

2. Dishwashers make doing the dishes easier

3. Trump made the water pressure in dishwashers better

4. Dishwashers now work better

5. Suburban women must vote for Trump

Yes, really. That's the logic."

Thanks for the explanation.

• Pie 1

if you placed trump in a typical kitchen, i wonder if he could point to the dishwasher 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Nice to know he's focused on the important issues right now.

I'm actually somewhat serious. Let the adults handle COVID, and let Trump busy himself fighting for the cause of less energy efficient dishwashers.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mother Grabber said:

if you placed trump in a typical kitchen, i wonder if he could point to the dishwasher 

"Her?" the president replied, pointing at Melania with a look of consternation.

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

"Her?" the president replied, pointing at Melania with a look of consternation.

he'd spin around in circles looking for the mexican women.

• Pie 3

Ainsley has turned into a bimbo since she went national and started working for Fox News.

She has no shame.

"Nice trucks. You think I could hop into one of them and drive it away? I'd love to do it. Just drive the hell out of here. Just get the hell out of this. I had such a good life." -- Trump

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

Amazon.com: SMETA 36 Inch Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator Bottom  Freezer, Fingerprint Resistant, 20.66 cu ft Capacity, Stainless Steel:  Appliances

41 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

"Nice trucks. You think I could hop into one of them and drive it away? I'd love to do it. Just drive the hell out of here. Just get the hell out of this. I had such a good life." -- Trump

image.png.0ecc4d6e6807f917c3a57f7293cd7b42.png

a not insignificant amount of the cold "harm reduction" rhetoric that writes off countless lives as inevitably lost is rooted in selfishness. prioritizing your own wants and needs over the lives of those condemned regardless of who wins. it's easy to argue "lesser of two evils" when that "lesser evil" isn't going to guarantee your death. your misery.

24 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

a not insignificant amount of the cold "harm reduction" rhetoric that writes off countless lives as inevitably lost is rooted in selfishness. prioritizing your own wants and needs over the lives of those condemned regardless of who wins. it's easy to argue "lesser of two evils" when that "lesser evil" isn't going to guarantee your death. your misery.

in what way does brie's method of approaching the election help the woman in the story?

disengaging from electoralism doesn't help any more than lesser evilism by any metric i can figure out

7 minutes ago, rodeo said:

in what way does brie's method of approaching the election help the woman in the story?

disengaging from electoralism doesn't help any more than lesser evilism by any metric i can figure out

brie advocates leveraging your vote rather than pledge undying loyalty to the party. it results in "disengaging" when too few are willing to make the threat and carry it out. the democrats have no incentive whatsoever to listen to you at all. her strategy, if carried out, would result in the party being confronted with a choice: move left and save lives or lose the election. deep down you know biden and the people propping him up would rather lose than move left, so you immediately read her strategy as effectively "giving up and letting trump win." but if that's the case then it's clear that there will be no "pushing joe biden to the left" either.

brie also argues that if a candidate refuses to adopt extremely popular policy then that candidate is acting out of conditional opposition to trump. that's a very privileged position to take, is it not? to prefer losing to this "great existential threat" over adopting popular policy positions? but the (disproportionately poor, non-white) non-voter is the one at fault? not the multimillionaire segregationist at the top of the ticket?

Brie advocates for allowing the greater evil to win (Trump).....in hopes he destroys everything and we are afforded the opportunity to rebuild from the ashes something she wants.   

• Poo 1