Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
HDThoreau

Kuechly Contract

Forgive me for posting this here, but as a new member, this was the only place I could select for a new topic. Although I’ve been watching the Panthers since ‘96, I’m still trying to figure out professional football. No one I know seems to be able to answer this, so I’m hoping someone here can.

I loved watching Luke play, just like everyone else, and I respect him as a person and a player. While I understand why he retired, what I don’t get is why he keeps getting paid after he leaves. As far as I know, he didn’t leave because an injury sustained while playing made it impossible for him to continue. And, given the violent nature of the sport, I would assume that most players have some sort of clause in their contracts that guarantees that if they are injured on the job and cannot work for the remainder of their employment periods, they would continue to draw an income. However, Luke just said, “I’m done.” Again, I get why he did it. But, why should his decision impact the ability of the team to pay someone to replace him?

I was a fan when the team signed Delhomme to a contract and then cut him to go with Matt Moore (again, I really don’t get the business side of pro football). Since they basically hired Jake and then let him go, I think it makes sense that the front office honored their commitment to him financially. But, Luke just decided he couldn’t do it anymore and walked away. Why does the Panther organization still owe him money?

On 4/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, HDThoreau said:

Forgive me for posting this here, but as a new member, this was the only place I could select for a new topic. Although I’ve been watching the Panthers since ‘96, I’m still trying to figure out professional football. No one I know seems to be able to answer this, so I’m hoping someone here can.

I loved watching Luke play, just like everyone else, and I respect him as a person and a player. While I understand why he retired, what I don’t get is why he keeps getting paid after he leaves. As far as I know, he didn’t leave because an injury sustained while playing made it impossible for him to continue. And, given the violent nature of the sport, I would assume that most players have some sort of clause in their contracts that guarantees that if they are injured on the job and cannot work for the remainder of their employment periods, they would continue to draw an income. However, Luke just said, “I’m done.” Again, I get why he did it. But, why should his decision impact the ability of the team to pay someone to replace him?

I was a fan when the team signed Delhomme to a contract and then cut him to go with Matt Moore (again, I really don’t get the business side of pro football). Since they basically hired Jake and then let him go, I think it makes sense that the front office honored their commitment to him financially. But, Luke just decided he couldn’t do it anymore and walked away. Why does the Panther organization still owe him money?

When a player signs a contract he gets a bonus.  That bonus is then spread throughout the contract.  What we "owe" Luke is money we already paid him.  He will not recieve his game day checks. Sorry for late response, I never look here.