Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobowilson

Prediction: Any busts from this draft will be credited towards Hurney, any stars will be attributed to Rhule

Recommended Posts



2 hours ago, bobowilson said:

The real point of this thread though is to debate, who was in charge of this draft?

The video posted today shows Hurney reflecting on all of his draft picks and his thoughts when he was making the decision seem to indicate he was firmly in control of the process.

Unless we believe Hurney is a skilled liar.

 

I only know what I saw from the video and it was Hurney pacing and on the phone and Matt Rhule chuckling as his kids played around. 

On the surface, it seemed pretty obvious that Hurney was largely in control. But, knowing that Hurney leans "yes man", I suspect Rhule had plenty of influence over his decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schrodinger's Hurney

No power but also responsible for everything bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Prediction: Any busts from this draft will be credited towards Hurney, any stars will be attributed to Rhule"

----------------------------------------------------------

If you see this it's the ultimate tell and shows the person blaming Hurney doesn't understand how things work within The Firm.

A few are clinging by their fingernails to the old school notion of Hurndog functioning as a traditional GM and having "final say" but it just does not work this way in Tepper's world...

...in time this will become clear to even the most stubborn.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Weird. I'd been told all of Marty's prior bad decisions were actually the fault of Jerry Richardson :thinking:

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I only know what I saw from the video and it was Hurney pacing and on the phone and Matt Rhule chuckling as his kids played around. 

On the surface, it seemed pretty obvious that Hurney was largely in control. But, knowing that Hurney leans "yes man", I suspect Rhule had plenty of influence over his decisions. 

Pretty much.

For better or worse, this was Marty's Draft. I hope it turns out to have been a good one (and his last one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it turns out to be good then it is about damn time.  Hurney owes this team about 12 good drafts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If it turns out to be good then it is about damn time.  Hurney owes this team about 12 good drafts.  

So 12 more years of Hurney?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

So 12 more years of Hurney?

I hope the hell not.  I hope he is canned this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drk89Wng said:

Hurney had input based off character of the player and the previous strategy but the final say was Rhule. If Rhule was wavering he probably asked Hurney to help make the decision, probably later rounds and therefore choosing multiple similar positions and small school players. I don’t see anyone to blame in this draft honestly with all the outliers that made it a far from traditional process prior to the draft. 

The other way around. Both Rhule and Hurney said Marty was leading the draft and Rhule was heavily involved in creating the board based on his familiarity with the college players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Weird. I'd been told all of Marty's prior bad decisions were actually the fault of Jerry Richardson :thinking:

Pretty much.

For better or worse, this was Marty's Draft. I hope it turns out to have been a good one (and his last one).

Not all of his prior mistakes were the fault of JR, but we know for a fact that some of them were.  JR was a meddlesome owner.  We know JR wanted to extend Olsen and TD, that he wanted CMC, and that he made Fox a lame duck coach. How much do we not know?

I hate that I have to defend this guy on here all the time, but the hate is really unjustified.  Was he a great GM? No, but we had worse.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nope, this one is on Rhule. These all look like his guys and now it's his turn to prove he can coach them up. If half turn out decent then we are up 2 or 3 players on a normal Hurney draft.

Hurney gets the blame for the last 2 drafts, he is still eating the crap sandwich from those bombs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bobowilson said:

The real point of this thread though is to debate, who was in charge of this draft?

The video posted today shows Hurney reflecting on all of his draft picks and his thoughts when he was making the decision seem to indicate he was firmly in control of the process.

Unless we believe Hurney is a skilled liar.

 

Um hes a hallnof fame liar. Also he wasn't on television

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a player busts, the GM SHOULD get the blame.  If a team busts, the coach gets the blame. 

And yes, coaches deserve credit for successful players because college to pros is a huge transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Not all of his prior mistakes were the fault of JR, but we know for a fact that some of them were.  JR was a meddlesome owner.  We know JR wanted to extend Olsen and TD, that he wanted CMC, and that he made Fox a lame duck coach. How much do we not know?

I hate that I have to defend this guy on here all the time, but the hate is really unjustified.  Was he a great GM? No, but we had worse.  

Our worst "GM" wasn't actually a GM but did have full control. That was Dom Capers. Marty would be the second worst.

As to extending Olsen and Davis, it's what he was brought back to do you seriously think he wouldn't have done it anyway? Heck, he wanted to extend Newton, injuries and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...