Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Icege

Joe Person interviews Will Grier

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There is nothing to say. The league is basically shut down. 

The agents for guys like Brady ($50M), Bridgewater ($33M) , Rivers ($25M), Winston ($0.15M) Keenum ($10M), Mariota ($7.5M), Daniel ($5M), Driskel ($2.5M), Dalton ($3M), McCoy ($1.7M), Gabbert ($0.9M) , Hoyer ($0.00M) , Hundley ($0.9M) & Bray ($0.045M) ...

....would say otherwise.

Note: List of all the QB's signed during this off-season.  All have some level of guaranteed pay (listed after the name) except Hoyer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

The agents for guys like Brady ($50M), Bridgewater ($33M) , Rivers ($25M), Winston ($0.15M) Keenum ($10M), Mariota ($7.5M), Daniel ($5M), Driskel ($2.5M), Dalton ($3M), McCoy ($1.7M), Gabbert ($0.9M) , Hoyer ($0.00M) , Hundley ($0.9M) & Bray ($0.045M) ...

....would say otherwise.

Note: List of all the QB's signed during this off-season.  All have some level of guaranteed pay (listed after the name) except Hoyer.

 

Out of curiosity, did you inquire why Winston didn't suggest the Saints make the offer to Cam instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 8:37 PM, RASTAN66 said:

Will be interested to see when any NFL insider actually steps up and says something (anything) meaningful as it relates to Cam's current situation. 

Well today was the day. 

Chargers Head Coach Anthony Lynn went on the Zach Gelb show today and said Cam Newton is healthy and they looked at him. 
 

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSSportsRadio/status/1262528192180629510

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The heck with what the third string qb says about Cam's job opportunities, I want to know what the beer vendor in the 500 section says.  Or the parking lot attendant.  Those are the voices that really matter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"That’s really the difference in offenses. I think everybody to an extent in the NFL has all the same plays. It comes down to play-calling and executing on game day with the guys you’ve got. "

 

Yup. Not rocket science.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Icege said:

stuff

 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Icege said:

I’ve enjoyed learning it. I’m more familiar with the way the offense is called in terms of the play structure than I was with the offense last year. Last year was the digit system, which I just wasn’t familiar with. Joe Brady’s offense is something I’ve done before, been familiarized with in the past in terms of the protections, the play calls. I’m just more familiar with the way he goes about doing it

Cam sometimes talked about the play calling being hard to grasp and over complicated. It often showed on the field as calls would come in late and the ball would be snapped last second. Yet another thing that will haunt me about Cam, how much of any of his issues came down to Riveras system? What could he have done in the offense... How much was he truly wasted along with Luke. I mean seriously, how often do you get a Cam on one side of the ball and a Luke on the other! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

 

Cam sometimes talked about the play calling being hard to grasp and over complicated. It often showed on the field as calls would come in late and the ball would be snapped last second. Yet another thing that will haunt me about Cam, how much of any of his issues came down to Riveras system? What could he have done in the offense... How much was he truly wasted along with Luke. I mean seriously, how often do you get a Cam on one side of the ball and a Luke on the other! 

They did what they could to keep continuity for him as far as I could tell. Keeping Shula for so long, I thought it was done largely for Cam's comfort.

But I can't figure it out really. I see things like that, and what was mentioned about the time it took to get calls snapped, comments by Greg Olsen and I think Cam himself that Greg helped him with the calls in the huddle....

Then you see that clip where he says to other D "oh you been watching film huh? Watch this" ... then smokes them. That was so cool. Maybe my favorite Cam moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stratocatter said:

They did what they could to keep continuity for him as far as I could tell. Keeping Shula for so long, I thought it was done largely for Cam's comfort.

But I can't figure it out really. I see things like that, and what was mentioned about the time it took to get calls snapped, comments by Greg Olsen and I think Cam himself that Greg helped him with the calls in the huddle....

Then you see that clip where he says to other D "oh you been watching film huh? Watch this" ... then smokes them. That was so cool. Maybe my favorite Cam moment.

 

I just wonder if it wasn't also possibly stubbornness from the same coaching tree running old elongated complicated play calls when they have possibly updated and been using a different system in college that gets the calls in easier. Then when Cam gets here they try running something old school and he's not used to it... It just sounds like something Rivera, Shula, and turner would all do where Rhule would use the up to date system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

I just wonder if it wasn't also possibly stubbornness from the same coaching tree running old elongated complicated play calls when they have possibly updated and been using a different system in college that gets the calls in easier. Then when Cam gets here they try running something old school and he's not used to it... It just sounds like something Rivera, Shula, and turner would all do where Rhule would use the up to date system. 

Stubbornness??? From our former coaching staff????  Glad I was sitting down for that. 

They were the definition of doing the same things over and over, and expecting different results.

Grier certainly did not look at all worthy of the 3rd round pick used on him last year.  I don't have much hope for him.  But, I agree with those who point out he was also thrown in to a clusterf*#k of a situation and is worth a second look.  Some people just don't function well in complete chaos, and Grier may be one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Stubbornness??? From our former coaching staff????  Glad I was sitting down for that. 

They were the definition of doing the same things over and over, and expecting different results.

Grier certainly did not look at all worthy of the 3rd round pick used on him last year.  I don't have much hope for him.  But, I agree with those who point out he was also thrown in to a clusterf*#k of a situation and is worth a second look.  Some people just don't function well in complete chaos, and Grier may be one of them.

Oh exactly I was stating the obvious but some on here are stubborn lol. Just thinking maybe it was Rivera and Turner and not Cam then Grier. Seemed Grier didn't even know where his targets were supposed to be at times. I definitely wasn't a fan of the pick but maybe he's just rookie bad and not Pickles bad lol. Olsen would have been around long enough if there was an older system to try and help the younger qbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Oh exactly I was stating the obvious but some on here are stubborn lol. Just thinking maybe it was Rivera and Turner and not Cam then Grier. Seemed Grier didn't even know where his targets were supposed to be at times. I definitely wasn't a fan of the pick but maybe he's just rookie bad and not Pickles bad lol. Olsen would have been around long enough if there was an older system to try and help the younger qbs. 

The sad part is this team has a legacy of very similar coaching staffs going back to day one.  It's like stubbornness, inflexibility, and unwillingness to adapt were requirements for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The sad part is this team has a legacy of very similar coaching staffs going back to day one.  It's like stubbornness, inflexibility, and unwillingness to adapt were requirements for the job.

Yup, that's why I'm so excited, new owner and a young innovative coach, when can we say we've had those ever? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some are maybe forgetting, that Chudzinski was the 1st OC (Turner was 1st choice I think even then). Shula was QB coach I think. So Chud leaving and Shula keeps continuity.

Young QB, after only two years of development I believed then and have not seen anything after that to change my mind, they were afraid of a kink happening if they changed the whole system. I think Cam would have been a square peg and forcing him into a round hole, would not get the results needed in the time they had to make things happen.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...