Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
NanuqoftheNorth

Explosion in Beirut Lebanon

1 hour ago, Ja Rhule said:

The weird part is Moldova does not have access to sea and imports Ammonia Nitrate for agricultural purposes.  Both Georgia and Romania (port Moldova would use) are in Black Sea but the strange ship randomly sailed into Beirut port in Mediterranean sea.  Some fishy poo.  Won’t be surprised if Russians are involved.  Big chunk of Moldova is Russian controlled Transnistria.

Who is the largest military power controlling the Black Sea?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

The weird part is Moldova does not have access to sea and imports Ammonia Nitrate for agricultural purposes.  Both Georgia and Romania (port Moldova would use) are in Black Sea but the strange ship randomly sailed into Beirut port in Mediterranean sea.  Some fishy poo.  Won’t be surprised if Russians are involved.  Big chunk of Moldova is Russian controlled Transnistria.

moldovan flag looks like a flag of convenience. i wouldn’t read too much into that other than, again, names attached. there are certainly people who stand to benefit from the closure of the port of beirut but right now this seems like a series of unfortunate events. all of this poo gets dumped in the port and it’s not really economical to haul it off, especially when the lebanese economy is crumbling. seems like it was just put off forever. reports out of lebanon that it was set off by someone “welding a small hole to prevent theft”

the information regarding the highly explosive shipment was freely available and it wouldn’t take much work to find out where exactly it’s at so i’m certainly open to the possibility that someone intentionally set it off, but i will wait until there’s more information. it being an accident seems like a reasonable conclusion, even if it turns out to be the wrong one.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

That must have been equivalent to a small scale nuclear explosion

People were floating a 5 kiloton. Personally I think it was a closer to a 10 kiloton from what we’ve seen. 

here’s a 1 kilo nuke. Completely different type of explosion obviously but it’s a good starting point.

https://www.military.com/video/nuclear-bombs/nuclear-weapons/1-kiloton-nuclear-bomb-detonated/3067132402001

The ball of fire though when you stop the slow mo videos though, that hole in the earth in the above pictures is the circumference of that ball of fire. 

Edited by Harbingers

I’m really worried these numbers are going to grow exponentially. I’m sure they are not counting the emergency firefighter units already on scene as deceased yet. 

Luckily it was a port area instead of center city. But I bet the death toll will be in the hundreds if not more. Hezbollah is no joke.

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Luckily it was a port area instead of city center.

Disregarding the latter half of your statement. Have you looked at a map of Beirut? It was directly between city center and the port. Worst possible spot it could have happened in.

Unfortunately, it looks like this was just gross negligence. The issue was probably exacerbated by short-staffing due to COVID/poor economy.

But you really don't need an elaborate conspiracy/terrorist plot when you've got 2,750 tons of ANFO sitting in a dock for six years. SIX fuging YEARS!!!

It took 2 tons of the stuff to level the Oklahoma Federal Building. If you've got thirteen hundred times as much sitting in your dock warehouse, how do you put dealing with it at the bottom of your honey-do list for 6 years?

If you found one stick of dynamite sitting in your tool shed, I don't know about you guys, but dealing with that would be my number one priority.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Unfortunately, it looks like this was just gross negligence. The issue was probably exacerbated by short-staffing due to COVID/poor economy.

But you really don't need an elaborate conspiracy/terrorist plot when you've got 2,750 tons of ANFO sitting in a dock for six years. SIX fuging YEARS!!!

It took 2 tons of the stuff to level the Oklahoma Federal Building. If you've got thirteen hundred times as much sitting in your dock warehouse, how do you put dealing with it at the bottom of your honey-do list for 6 years?

If you found one stick of dynamite sitting in your tool shed, I don't know about you guys, but dealing with that would be my number one priority.

Its horrible either way, but if it was negligence and not a terrorist attack, I am glad.  The world has enough problems now without spending more time and assets trying to track down the culprits.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I know you’re well connected in DC and don’t wanna ask specifics but do you know for a fact it was 2.7 or is that just guesstimates so far.

Edited by Harbingers

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Its horrible either way, but if it was negligence and not a terrorist attack, I am glad.  The world has enough problems now without spending more time and assets trying to track down the culprits.  

There is no reason to point to it as a terrorist attacking just like there is no reason to point to it as a single person welding.

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

There is no reason to point to it as a terrorist attacking just like there is no reason to point to it as a single person welding.

seems racist to dismiss local media reports offhand, lending those reports the same degree of credibility as the (to this point) completely unfounded suggestion of terrorism as made by racist white americans who couldn’t point to lebanon on a map.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I agree.  Catroop said it was unfortunately negligence.  Just pointing out that I hope it is negligence, and not a terrorist.  

Its probably to early to tell, but I have read that several security experts think the big blast was set off by fireworks.  

https://news.yahoo.com/fireworks-ammonium-nitrate-likely-fueled-083652090.html

Online videos of the disaster's initial moments show sparks and lights inside the smoke rising from the blaze, just prior to the massive blast. That likely indicates that fireworks were involved, said Boaz Hayoun, owner of the Tamar Group, an Israeli firm that works closely with the Israeli government on safety and certification issues involving explosives.

“Before the big explosion, you can see in the center of the fire, you can see sparks, you can hear sounds like popcorn and you can hear whistles," Hayoun told The Associated Press. "This is very specific behavior of fireworks, the visuals, the sounds and the transformation from a slow burn to a massive explosion.”

Jeffrey Lewis, a missile expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California, offered a similar assessment.

Edited by Davidson Deac II

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I agree.  Catroop said it was unfortunately negligence.  Just pointing out that I hope it is negligence, and not a terrorist.  

Its probably to early to tell, but I have read that several security experts think the big blast was set off by fireworks.  

https://news.yahoo.com/fireworks-ammonium-nitrate-likely-fueled-083652090.html

It’s quite possible you can see them going on in the Slo Mo videos. They look more like military grade flash bangs than fireworks though.

I don’t disagree I’m on the negligence side of things too. It’s just way to early to speculate in my opinion.