Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Icege

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He attempted 9 20+ yard passes over the course of 6 games and 196 pass attempts. 4.5% of his attempts were 20+ yards. That's one out of ever 22 attempts.

I mean, damn... that pretty much says it all.

I think it also depends on what type of offense is being run. We'll certainly get a chance to see if anything changes this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Linville: New Orleans' offense is clearly designed to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Also Linville (in same thread): Wow look at this scrub Teddy not throwing it downfield more often!

It's almost like an offensive scheme designed around a 40-year-old QB, heavily featuring Kamara and Thomas doesn't include a ton of deep shots...hmm.  More than 80% of the Saints' completions went to running backs, tight ends, and Michael Thomas (who is hardly a deep threat).  I mean this is pretty basic Football 101 stuff.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of his deep ball ability, which we'll all find out about this season for sure, one area Teddy is going to impress Panther's fans is how cerebral he is. There are going to be plenty of times this year where Teddy has the defense beat before the ball is ever snapped. Even if the play doesn't work out, because of a dropped ball, or missed throw, even on those plays you're still going to be impressed because despite the play we still had the defense beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think cerebral QB play has been our problem. We’ve always had smart guys behind center

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 4:37 PM, MasterAwesome said:

Linville: New Orleans' offense is clearly designed to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Also Linville (in same thread): Wow look at this scrub Teddy not throwing it downfield more often!

It's almost like an offensive scheme designed around a 40-year-old QB, heavily featuring Kamara and Thomas doesn't include a ton of deep shots...hmm.  More than 80% of the Saints' completions went to running backs, tight ends, and Michael Thomas (who is hardly a deep threat).  I mean this is pretty basic Football 101 stuff.

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

That’s not because of his ability to play QB though. It was his potential career ending injury that took years to overcome. The Saints couldn’t afford him and Brees once he showed he can still play. Had he never sustained that injury he would probably still be with the Vikings. So I get the “4 teams in a short amount of time” spill to make him look bad, but  he never really got healthy enough to play for the Jets and finally looked like his old self with the Saints, which is why our OC (who coached him with the Saints) wanted to pay him a solid contract. So if he can’t through it deep and isn’t any good because he has been passed around by 4 teams then Joe Brady must not know what he is doing?

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He played pretty well with the 2 he suited up for and we are the 4th so Im not sure what relevance that statement has. Just more typical of expected player bashing.

 

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s not because of his ability to play QB though. It was his potential career ending injury that took years to overcome. The Saints couldn’t afford him and Brees once he showed he can still play. Had he never sustained that injury he would probably still be with the Vikings. So I get the “4 teams in a short amount of time” spill to make him look bad, but  he never really got healthy enough to play for the Jets and finally looked like his old self with the Saints, which is why our OC (who coached him with the Saints) wanted to pay him a solid contract. So if he can’t through it deep and isn’t any good because he has been passed around by 4 teams then Joe Brady must not know what he is doing?

Say what?

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

Teddy is here because he's familiar with Brady's system. He's here to help the install. Unless he wildly exceeds expectations, he's a stop gap. Look at his contract. It's a stop gap contract.

Sorry some of y'all want to live in a world of homer delusion.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

Teddy is here because he's familiar with Brady's system. He's here to help the install. Unless he wildly exceeds expectations, he's a stop gap. Look at his contract. It's a stop gap contract.

Sorry some of y'all want to live in a world of homer delusion.

I think both of us agree that nothing in Teddy's past is huge indicator of him being a franchise QB.  At this point everyone is "hoping" that he excels in this system, which is a huge gamble because most players at this point of their career are who they are.

I don't agree though that its a stop gap contract.  You don't pay a guy $20m a year to help teach a rookie.  That is what coaches are for.  QBs are the most overcoached position on the field.  HC work with them, OC works with them, QB coach works with them.  How many position coaches are only responsive for 2-3 players? QB coach and maybe kicking coach if you have one?  

Somebody in the organization thinks he has a really good chance of being a franchise QB for us.  The fact he does know the system is bonus, the fact he seems to be the good "mentor" type is a bonus (who knows if that is true), but you don't pay a guy that much just for those two things.

You can sign a "mentor" cheap every offseason.  The fact he knows the system and can help with a rookie helps you to justify the contract, but here again somebody thinks they can win with him.

If he plays great and becomes our franchise QB, to the point we don't feel the need to draft one next year, then it was an amazing signing.

If we still need a to draft a QB next year early in the draft then it was a waste of resources.  People need to remember moves like this don't happen in a vacuum.  The cap space and draft picks that you lose by signing TB would probably help the rookie QB more than TB himself. 

What helps a rookie QB more, spending $40-60m on an offensive line or having a "mentor" qb? 

What about those draft picks that could add an lineman or offensive skill position.  Maybe another TE, a center, another WR.  A third round pick usually gets you a pretty good center or TE prospect.

Personally I think he has a chance to play well in our system, its just a huge gamble that I'm not convinced I would have took.

 

 

 

  • The D 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I think both of us agree that nothing in Teddy's past is huge indicator of him being a franchise QB.  At this point everyone is "hoping" that he excels in this system, which is a huge gamble because most players at this point of their career are who they are.

I don't agree though that its a stop gap contract.  You don't pay a guy $20m a year to help teach a rookie.  That is what coaches are for.  QBs are the most overcoached position on the field.  HC work with them, OC works with them, QB coach works with them.  How many position coaches are only responsive for 2-3 players? QB coach and maybe kicking coach if you have one?  

Somebody in the organization thinks he has a really good chance of being a franchise QB for us.  The fact he does know the system is bonus, the fact he seems to be the good "mentor" type is a bonus (who knows if that is true), but you don't pay a guy that much just for those two things.

You can sign a "mentor" cheap every offseason.  The fact he knows the system and can help with a rookie helps you to justify the contract, but here again somebody thinks they can win with him.

If he plays great and becomes our franchise QB, to the point we don't feel the need to draft one next year, then it was an amazing signing.

If we still need a to draft a QB next year early in the draft then it was a waste of resources.  People need to remember moves like this don't happen in a vacuum.  The cap space and draft picks that you lose by signing TB would probably help the rookie QB more than TB himself. 

What helps a rookie QB more, spending $40-60m on an offensive line or having a "mentor" qb? 

What about those draft picks that could add an lineman or offensive skill position.  Maybe another TE, a center, another WR.  A third round pick usually gets you a pretty good center or TE prospect.

Personally I think he has a chance to play well in our system, its just a huge gamble that I'm not convinced I would have took.

 

 

 

Sadly, in 2020's NFL, $20M a year really is stopgap money for QBs. Teddy's $14M cap hit this year is 18th in the NFL. As of now, his $23M cap hit next year is set to be 13th. An under 30 year old QB that other teams thought was starting caliber would've gotten $30M per year.

  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 8/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

How could we NOT realize it?  You've mentioned it probably 18 times on this thread.

Your strong belief in your own narrative is, in a sense, admirable -- but the sheer redundancy reminds me of that guy in the basement, "we believe in the truth over facts."

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

Say what?

Teams were more concerned about his injury recovery than his actual skill set as a QB in the NFL.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sadly, in 2020's NFL, $20M a year really is stopgap money for QBs. Teddy's $14M cap hit this year is 18th in the NFL. As of now, his $23M cap hit next year is set to be 13th. An under 30 year old QB that other teams thought was starting caliber would've gotten $30M per year.

I mean there is obviously a risk. His injury combined with the fact he hasn’t played a full season in years is why his contract is middle of the pack for NFL starting QBs. We knew the risk of signing him and he still got an average (middle of the pack) salary for a starter. He is not as good as Rodgers or Wilson so there was no way he was getting in the 30s. Again I’m not saying he is going to be a top 5 QB, but there is potential for him to be a solid starter here.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

How many of them in their 3rd season suffered an injury that resulted in not only an ACL tear, but also a dislocation of the knee joint and other structural damage with a 17 - 19 month recovery period that they returned from after just 14 months?

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...