Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

NFL Ratings - This sounds right to me.

We cut the cord and dropped ESPN and the NFL Network this year. Honestly don't miss either. I will watch all the Panthers games but any games that I can't pick up off my antenna, meh.

• Beer 1

I just get up and watch the highlights of all the other games the next day on YouTube anyway. Hard to sit threw additional  4 hrs outside the panthers games. 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, PghPanther said:

There are many reasons why ratings are down among the two more prominent appear to be as follows:

1) The covid situation has changed sports seasons..shorter during with schedule changes, less or no people..........its depressing watching games that look like practice with no one in the stands. The unemployment rates and business collapses have strained many people financially and changed the way they look at spending their spare time now. 

2) Social imperatives..............sports has always been popular because of it being an escape...........or entertainment to watch and forget about the world and its problems.......people don't want to be preached to, they know and hear enough to understand what is going on in the country and don't care to have their spare time for entertainment being preached to............. 

3) Change of lifestyle and attitude towards sports in general..................the generations coming up in general don't have the entertainment/factor attention span of the generations who made sports what they are today...........my generation was a tv generation subservient to the investment of time in front of a tv to obtain their entertainment............the generations now are instant information on demand smart phone/social media users and/or a gaming generation.........they are not playing sports as much and don't have that interest. The demographic change of the country is also reflected in the sport preferences which are changing..............no to mention the head problems with football keep eating away at its interests in younger generational apathy towards the game. 

4) Sports are like dinning out............when the economy and world is running at its normal pace they are very popular among those who support them..............but force a change or shutdown of dinning out then people do more grocery shopping and eating at home..........people's consumption habits are changing and sports is also a reflection of that. 

I don't know were it all leads to but its not the same anymore for right now....

I watched the Indy 500 recently...........the tradition of the memorial day May event off the calendar..........and instead of 300k plus in the stands there was nobody.............it just wasn't that same and I have always loved that event. 

2) It really shocks me how many fascist really are in this country. It's not like the NFL hasn't promoted firefighters, police, domestic abuse, etc. Yet now it's an escape.