Carolina Huddle
nctarheelreincarnated

CBS Sports Mock Draft. Panthers pass on Lance for an OL guy. 49ers take Lance the next pick.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

After that last game, I have serious questions about Lance's ability to be a starting caliber NFL QB. If we think he can develop into one, sure. But honestly I wouldn't throw a fit if we passed on him.

I think I’m with you on this. Let Joe Brady and the scouts bring him in and make the call. It’s weird to actually have confidence in our staff. If he isn’t a huge upgrade from Teddy then we should be looking at OL, MLB, FS, or CB (unless Pride, and Douglas continue to get better).

1 hour ago, Panther Believer said:

Personally I would rather get Dylan Moses and have our MLB for the future, or Kyle Pitts to remind Joe Brady what a TE looks like and could be our Darren Waller type of pass catcher. However, O line is never a bad thing.

It can be. Atlanta passed on Burns to take a G. Guess which one they’d rather have now? If we take a G at 13, we are dumb. Simple as that. Last year Lindstrom and Bradbury (G and C) went in the first and there were guys available at C/G when we, ugh, drafted Little and those guys actually did better. The drop off from mid first G/C guys and mid 2nd is tiny. The drop off at other high priority positions is huge. This would be an awful pick unless it’s a T and we don’t extend Okung and Moton.

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

We need LB and OL and DB

guess we also need a new DT

If we extend Okung and Moton then OL is addressable later. LB, DT and DB make sense in the 1st.

Interesting how in four weeks we've gone from being a hard core participant in the TL sweepstakes to out of the top 10 entirely.

Honestly, there is nothing about a mock draft at this point that even has the stink of realistic about it.  All you can really say is which college players seem to be improving their stock and which pro teams appear to be going in positive or negative directions.  Anything else is just spin.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we extend Okung and Moton then OL is addressable later. LB, DT and DB make sense in the 1st.

If the NFL is going to keep holding calls down moving forward I’d love to see us sign Garrett Bolles this off season.

He’s finally becoming the pro I thought he’d be. Took him some time but he’s been really good this year and was solid last year. The Broncos declined his 5th year option

Pay tackles, draft guards. Or you can always find guards for cheap like we did John Miller and Chris Reed. 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

If the NFL is going to keep holding calls down moving forward I’d love to see us sign Garrett Bolles this off season.

He’s finally becoming the pro I thought he’d be. Took him some time but he’s been really good this year and was solid last year. The Broncos declined his 5th year option

Pay tackles, draft guards. Or you can always find guards for cheap like we did John Miller and Chris Reed. 

Yeah, and take a chance on Lance for the future. 

For those talking poo about Lance, your posts won't age well. That being said, now that we've seen Teddy, I don't know that we'll draft a QB that high.

4 hours ago, bull123 said:

We need LB and OL and DB

guess we also need a new DT

And QB depth.  Unless Rhule can get something out of Grier that we haven't seen so far.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

For those talking poo about Lance, your posts won't age well. That being said, now that we've seen Teddy, I don't know that we'll draft a QB that high.

Still think we will, man. Teddy is a stop gap. 

• Poo 1

Tell ya what, we won't need a QB in the draft. Okay, maybe a backup picked up late in the draft.

Get used to Teddy. He's the man here and will be for some time.

We'll be picking in the bottom half of the draft and it will be either MLB, TE or OT.

• Pie 1

Lance is super overhyped.  I wouldn’t even take him in the 2nd round.  

22 minutes ago, Mage said:

Lance is super overhyped.  I wouldn’t even take him in the 2nd round.  

Na man, he's hyped for the right reasons. You go a whole season without throwing a pick? Yeah, that's a deal there. 

34 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Na man, he's hyped for the right reasons. You go a whole season without throwing a pick? Yeah, that's a deal there. 

Relatively speaking, he barely threw the ball.  Only eclipsed 30 pass attempts one time.  The last time he threw more than 20 completions in a game was October 19th.  He went 9 straight games with less than 20 completions, 8 of those 15 or less.  He played in a protected offense that mainly asked him to run the ball.  Nothing wrong with that, but it makes you wanna see more.  With that said the 0 INTs are nice.

If we're being honest, he looked flat-out terrible in his only game this year.  That isn't the be all, end all, but his accuracy was bad.  His tape from last year is better, but you still saw some of the same flaws.  

He's got great physical tools.  I agree with Linville in that if we took him in the 1st (depending on where we are picking - I am not taking him over a top ranked OT/DE/CB) I wouldn't be upset.  But I'd be very nervous.  I really wish he could have played this year to see how he progressed.  

I've seen people compare him to Cam.  Which makes sense.  But it also doesn't.  Yes, Cam went stretches where he didn't have to pass the ball much, but Cam also DOMINATED the SEC on an Auburn team that compared to Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas at the time was far less talented (sans QB - Auburn had a 3-5 record in the SEC in 2009).  And for as athletic as Lance is, he's not on Cam's level in that department.  

Lance reminds me of a more athletic Dak Prescott.  If he pans out as well as Dak has, then he's definitely worth a 1st.  But Dak wasn't taken until the 4th round.  I wouldn't let Lance fall that far, but I also don't think he's a 1st round prospect.  He'd be one of the weaker QBs taken in the 1st round in the last 5 or so years IMO.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1