Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Industry sources are watching the Panthers for potential GM opening

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pat Stewart's not a big ego guy. Nor is he a guy who's been waiting 20 years for his shot at being a GM.

He's a guy that you could credibly give a GM job to, but there are definitely more qualified candidates.

If he's Matt Rhule's guy though, that might be all you need to know.

I would think Rhule needs someone with GM experience given his lack of experience in the NFL. It is one thing to be a coach since really the college game and pro game share many similar functions. But I would have serious doubts that Rhule could do both jobs or that Stewart wouldn't need some seasoning before he would be ready for a GM job where there is a big difference between college and the pros.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I would think Rhule needs someone with GM experience given his lack of experience in the NFL. It is one thing to be a coach since really the college game and pro game share many similar functions. But I would have serious doubts that Rhule could do both jobs or that Stewart wouldn't need some seasoning before he would be ready for a GM job where there is a big difference between college and the pros.

I would think so too. And there are potential candidates like that (Jeff Ireland, for example).

But I'm not so sure Matt Rhule thinks so.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would think so too. And there are potential candidates like that (Jeff Ireland, for example).

But I'm not so sure Matt Rhule thinks so.

Hopefully Tepper can make him happy and provide the GM support he needs. Sometimes what you want isnt always what you need.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Hopefully Tepper can make him happy and provide the GM support he needs. Sometimes what you want isnt always what you need.

Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to think Tepper would give Matt Rhule a gold plated toilet in his office if he asked for it.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to think Tepper would give Matt Rhule a gold plated toilet in his office if he asked for it.

Well Tepper has a pair of brass balls so I guess he might get Rhule a gold plated crapper

I think RHule becomes acting GM. Beside GM duties, he controls nearly everything. I mean if Jerry Jones and Ron RIvera can do it....so can Rhule. I prefer there be a real GM tho. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Agree completely. Rhule and Co won’t be privy to kids in college in a couple years like they are now. We absolutely had a great advantage this draft since many of the visits and pro days got canceled and we had coaches who knew tons of players from opposing teams, their teams, players recruited that went elsewhere and other coaching acquaintances. We won’t have that forever so we need to install a good GM who can help with that. Marty’s not the guy based on his overall resume of 2018/2019 drafts and FAs.

For this reason I believe we should also be scouting young upcoming college positional coaches to join the staff every couple years 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, panthers55 said:

It is almost always that way in any organization that doesn't win consistently. The coach and GM are ultimately responsible so the buck stops there. And most times folks focus on the negative, it is human nature.

I agree but this seems to be more about Hurney's previous tenure. I don't see what he's done during this tenure to deserve constantly blaming him for everything that's wrong. And yes there are a lot of folks that focus on the negative in the huddle.

18 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

No. I could care less about right now. He never even got a job offer when he was fired the first time, that should tell you something right there. He has the stink of the old regime and we will never be able to complete a “rebuild” till he is gone. His name is trash, he is trash and he never should have been rehired. 

What has he done in this tenure to make him trash? We're currently more competitive than a lot of predictions. I'm happy about where we are right now, looking forward to improving on it and I don't care who's at the helm....as long as our trajectory is going up...

18 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Our resident Saints fan making an appearance....

Just PantherPhann89 that doesn't follow the masses...

40 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I think RHule becomes acting GM. Beside GM duties, he controls nearly everything. I mean if Jerry Jones and Ron RIvera can do it....so can Rhule. I prefer there be a real GM tho. 

Jerry failed miserably as a GM and if Ron has full control in Washington I predict he will too. Ron can't even handle having full control of a depth chart.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

16 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Just PantherPhann89 that doesn't follow the masses...

Sometimes the masses are right.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can't judge by it being ESPN. You have to look at who's reporting. In this case, that's Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano who called around to league sources, so I would give this one some weight.

On the ESPN front though, there are whispers that Disney wants to dump them. Word is that Disney's recent switch to emphasize streaming content is part of a strategy to move away from ESPN and eventually get rid of them because they're hemorrhaging money.

Not gonna be popular here, but espn needs to get NASCAR back...make racing a huge part of what they do...get totally new viewers back

7 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Not gonna be popular here, but espn needs to get NASCAR back...make racing a huge part of what they do...get totally new viewers back

ESPN dumped NASCAr because the sport is dying a very slow and painful death. I moved on years ago after being a huge fan and growing up around it. They don’t remove 30k seats from stadiums that are doing well. 

the sport was polluted by capitalism, corporatism and is borderline unwatchable now. 

Edited by 4Corners
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

ESPN dumped NASCAr because the sport is dying a very slow and painful death. I moved on years ago after being a huge fan and growing up around it. They don’t remove 30k seats from stadiums that are doing well. 

the sport was polluted by capitalism, corporatism and is borderline unwatchable now. 

No doubt viewership is way off from earlier days....NASCAR has not translated to new younger fans