Carolina Huddle

electro's horse

That's probably it for Greg Olsen

2 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I remember the 2007 draft and wanted Carolina to take Olsen with the 25th pick of the 1st round. The Panthers took Jonathan Beason instead, not a bad pick at the time, and Olsen went at #31 to Chicago.

Beason suffered a long series of injuries that ultimately ended his career. Although he didn't retire until after the 2015 season, he hadn't played a full season since 2010 with the Panthers.

I think Greg Olsen and, before him, Stephen Davis, were the 2 best FA signings this team has ever had.

Olsen was a trade, and is easily the best trade in franchise history. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yep. Olsen is the best trade, Delhomme is the best FA signing.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

there are several guys he can replace at Fox...just a matter of time before he is better than aikman 

He's better than Aikman right now.

• Pie 1

Aikman was unbelievably bad when he started out. I'm surprised they stuck with him. Now he's just run of the mill bad, but when he first started... oh wee mayne

• Pie 2

In unrelated discussion, who dafuq thought it was a good idea to put Michael Vick on a mic? WTF? We still remember you drowning those dogs you piece of fuging poo. Go die in a fire already.

/rant off

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, t96 said:

You're right- a 3rd rounder.

48 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In unrelated discussion, who dafuq thought it was a good idea to put Michael Vick on a mic? WTF? We still remember you drowning those dogs you piece of fuging poo. Go die in a fire already.

/rant off

like yeah but vick did his time, has gone out of his way to rehabilitate himself, and spends a poo load of his free time counseling at risk youth about how to avoid all the poo he did when he was young

i dont know if he deserves a cushy tv gig or anything but i'm not going to hate the guy for stupid poo he did after he's spent the better part of a decade trying to make amends for it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

like yeah but vick did his time, has gone out of his way to rehabilitate himself, and spends a poo load of his free time counseling at risk youth about how to avoid all the poo he did when he was young

i dont know if he deserves a cushy tv gig or anything but i'm not going to hate the guy for stupid poo he did after he's spent the better part of a decade trying to make amends for it. 

Sorry, some things are just unforgiveable. Vick can die in a fire. I'd light the match.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

/rant off

They needed somebody who understood the West Coast Offense :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

1 minute ago, jb2288 said:

1 day contract would be awesome

I'd agree but if I recall correctly, he and the Panthers did not part ways on the best of terms.

It'd likely depend on whether there are any hard feelings.

Just now, jb2288 said:

1 day contract would be awesome

I'm sure it'll happen. The Smitty divorce was as ugly as it gets and he's as bitter as players come. That Favre/GB divorce was even messier. Both eventually made nice with their former team and accepted their honors. Time heals the wounds and the people who may have pissed you off probably move on. 

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Do you realize Greg was the first TE with back to back to back 1000 yd seasons?  At minimum ring of honor.

Also remember it wasn't Greg's decision to move on.  We let him go.

Ahh, so for you it is all about position? That's cool, and agree he was a great TE for us. Memorable.

We let him go after he spent the better part of 2 seasons on the bench. It wasn't as if we "let him go" when he was balling out and we just dumped him. Most of this forum and probably you yourself if I were to take the time to search your previous posts all would have preferred he accepted the writing on the wall and retired with all his money and beautiful family and promising post-football career.

I will concede ring of honor isn't so bad, but I'm not a big fan of us bestowing honors on players that either left the team, or we moved on from.

6 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

I will concede ring of honor isn't so bad, but I'm not a big fan of us bestowing honors on players that either left the team, or we moved on from.

This is the NFL, man. You're gonna be left with a very, VERY small handful of players to choose from. The fairy tale endings are far from the norm. This is the way the vast majority of NFL careers wind up. At the end of the day, you're remember as playing for the team where you did your best work. Favre is a Packer. Montana is a 49er. Delhomme is a Panther. Smitty is a Panther. Olsen is a Panther. None of those guys finished playing for the team where they did the vast majority of their work. That's just the way it goes.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Ahh, so for you it is all about position? That's cool, and agree he was a great TE for us. Memorable.

We let him go after he spent the better part of 2 seasons on the bench. It wasn't as if we "let him go" when he was balling out and we just dumped him. Most of this forum and probably you yourself if I were to take the time to search your previous posts all would have preferred he accepted the writing on the wall and retired with all his money and beautiful family and promising post-football career.

So based on your stance, Steve Smith and Julius Peppers shouldn't have honors with the Panthers?