• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

Hurney will be on 730AM ESPN Radio this afternoon at 5:20

The craziest part of it all... Hurney was known as a cap expert, and yet, his legacy was potentially destroying our cap by giving out horrible contracts like they were candy on halloween.

Now, I don't put all of that on him, there were some obvious external pressures, but still...

Being intelligent and being wise are two different things.

Need to be intelligent to be a cap expert and deal with numbers.

Need to be wise when dealing with people. Marty is a smart guy, but he wasn't wise managing the team.

.... and tomorrow's guest at 5:20 will be the Don Knotts look-alike guy who shows up at all the minor league baseball games in the Triad to talk about the only bullet he carries...

And the loyalty contracts. And keeping on Rivera another year.

It's not just that these were bad decisions (they were). It's that they were made by the owner at all.

And as far as Richardson's total body of work? 18 years - 4 winning seasons.

Do you think he has tried to put a good team on the field? or do you think he has tried to swindle money from the fans? Lets get to brass tax here and quit hiding what you really want to say.

Just speak your emotions loud and clear. Tell me how Richardson is a Megavillain due to be in the next Bond film. Im betting they over play the accent but they'll have to give him some scars or something to look meaner. The whole glove on the hand and kitty thing has already been used.

If you think Richardson doesn't meddle in team affairs on a regular basis...well...

He owns the team. Of course he's going to have final say on everything. Is that a good thing? I don't think it is. You should let the people you hire do the job you hired them to do, otherwise why did you hire them? So you can have a scapegoat when things go bad?

Hmm...

Not to say it's all JR's fault or even that it's mostly his fault. As GM Hurney was making almost all the decisions mostly on his own, but when it came to team direction, philosophy, and individual players JR liked personally, he could at any moment step in and decide for himself what was going to happen. As owner that's his right. However I don't believe it's a smart idea for him to do that. Gettleman knows what to do and how to steer this team into the right direction. Let him do his job.

Then again, since when is it smart to hire a sports writer to lead your team?

I like how you presented zero facts to support your opinion.

I just had the most frightening thought ever. If it could happen to Marty Hurney, it could happen to Joe Person.

Hurney was a well respected writer, Joe is just a tool.

I think Hurney's biggest mistake was viewing players as idols, friends, and family. He wasn't giving a beat up MLB a new deal. He was giving THE Jon Beason a new deal. He had a fan's loyalty to his players. Good GMs need to view players as a commodity, not a person. The good organizations aren't afraid to toss out a star player like moldy bologna.

Hurney was a well respected writer, Joe is just a tool.

and yet Darrin Gannt was fired and replaced by him. Makes me wonder if his daddy was in a fraternity with somebody important.

I wonder who Hurney passed the "go on wfnz and talk apologetically after horrible/pathetic week one losses" torch to when Jerry Magoo fired him

Maybe it's gonna be Danny Morrison!

and yet Darrin Gannt was fired and replaced by him. Makes me wonder if his daddy was in a fraternity with somebody important.

Hurney was taken into the Redskins front office by Bobby Beathard, one of the best GMs of his day. He started in the PR department, but eventually made it into football operations via the salary cap management angle.

Now, had he continued being just an accountant, that might have been for the best. Unfortunately, Richardson put him in a role that required player evaluation skills, something with which he had no real experience.

And here we are...

10 years

10 fuggin years

Only 3 of them were any good.

If this were baseball .300 would be acceptable.

10 fuggin years... Sheesh

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MSimpso9

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts