• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Hardy Arrested

What? A simple domestic violence charge is a misdemeanor in literally every state, otherwise it's felony assault. 

what do you classify as simple?    cuz it is nation-wide at disgression of the court between misdemeanor and felony depending how bad it was.  I live in Las Vegas, here and in cali don't play around with that poo, its automatically a felony and you have to get a lwyer to hope for it dropped down, which in most cases it is, but comes along with a ton of fines, community service, and classes. 

I'm a lawyer and regularly defend people against these charges.

It is notable to me that the police actually charged him after interviewing the girlfriend. Normally police will not charge unless there is evidence of an assault (physical marks). If there is no evidence they will tell the person to go down to the magistrate themselves if they wish to take out a charge.

Second thing is he's not going to jail for this even if convicted. He doesn't appear to have a previous criminal record and almost no one in nc goes to jail on a first offense misdemeanor.

Depending on the policy of the DAs office in charlotte, whether the girlfriend cooperates with the DA, and the nature of the assault there could be a range of options. Where I practice, sometimes the defendant will be offered community service in exchange for a dismissal of the charges at a later date. Other times a plea will be negotiated. My guess is Hardy will plead not guilty and want a trial on the charges unless he is offered a community service type deal for a dismissal.

As many have said, this charge isn't a felony which means the police did not have evidence of a "serious injury" to the girlfriend. Assault inflicting serious injury is a common felony charge that you see in a domestic situation. In my experience, the vast majority of domestic assaults are charged as assault on a female.

• Pie 4

Ok there are a couple things about this that strike me very very oddly.

If you check the OP's link to the CNBC story, there is a video that actually shows the police report.

Injuries the female suffered: bruises and scratches.

It also states Hardy attacked her using his hands, feet and teeth.

If Hardy attacked her, for whatever reason, does anyone think he would scratch, bite and/or kick her?  A 6 foot 4 280 lb man is going to punch and throw a woman around.  Hardy is an odd guy but if you piss him off to the point where he his legitimately trying to hurt you I have a very tough time believing he's going to bite and scratch you...

• Pie 1

That's a pre-printed form. It does say she suffered bruises and scratches but the "hands,feet and teeth" was not written by the officer. That is on the report as an example to the officer when describing the nature of the assault and whether "weapons" were used. From what I can see, that part of the report was left blank.

Ok there are a couple things about this that strike me very very oddly.

If you check the OP's link to the CNBC story, there is a video that actually shows the police report.

Injuries the female suffered: bruises and scratches.

It also states Hardy attacked her using his hands, feet and teeth.

If Hardy attacked her, for whatever reason, does anyone think he would scratch, bite and/or kick her? A 6 foot 4 280 lb man is going to punch and throw a woman around. Hardy is an odd guy but if you piss him off to the point where he his legitimately trying to hurt you I have a very tough time believing he's going to bite and scratch you...

Edited by BIGH2001

I'm a lawyer and regularly defend people against these charges.

It is notable to me that the police actually charged him after interviewing the girlfriend. Normally police will not charge unless there is evidence of an assault (physical marks). If there is no evidence they will tell the person to go down to the magistrate themselves if they wish to take out a charge.

Second thing is he's not going to jail for this even if convicted. He doesn't appear to have a previous criminal record and almost no one in nc goes to jail on a first offense misdemeanor.

Depending on the policy of the DAs office in charlotte, whether the girlfriend cooperates with the DA, and the nature of the assault there could be a range of options. Where I practice, sometimes the defendant will be offered community service in exchange for a dismissal of the charges at a later date. Other times a plea will be negotiated. My guess is Hardy will plead not guilty and want a trial on the charges unless he is offered a community service type deal for a dismissal.

As many have said, this charge isn't a felony which means the police did not have evidence of a "serious injury" to the girlfriend. Assault inflicting serious injury is a common felony charge that you see in a domestic situation. In my experience, the vast majority of domestic assaults are charged as assault on a female.

26309.jpg

• Pie 3

This is bad but not something that can't be forgiven.

If Ray Rice can still have a future w/Ravens after being caught on camera w/his knocked out gf, then Greg can overcome this mistake.

But we dont know yet what the league will do to Rice as they are waiting for his trial.