• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp Notes

Zod

Another rookie camp has come and gone.

Ron Rivera this may have been the most talent he has seen from a young group. If so, the Panthers could get some much needed help immediately from key positions.

It was obvious from watching the offensive line drills that Trai Turner is on the fast track to starting. Turner got more do-overs and one one one assistance than anyone else at the camp. He looked solid also, receiving praise on more than one occasion as well. Rivera made his way over just when Turner was going through some technique work. Probably not a coincidence...

300_1194-Edit.jpg

There has been a lot of talk about the Canadian Tackle, Foulcault. He is easily one of the largest guys I have ever seen on the football field. He may be a little too tall with a high center of gravity. He was pushed around on more than one occasion by defensive ends who will not be invited to camp. He is a project, to say the least.

300_0970-Edit.jpg

Overall, the tight ends were the most impressive. There was some very good talent on the field. My personal favorite was the 6'6 Baker prospect Joel Murphy. He caught everything thrown his way and has the size to really make an impact on the field. He is my biggest hope for getting a camp invitation, but the competition at TE is pretty tight as it is.

The running backs all looked decent, Tyler Gaffney caught some nice balls out of the backfield. He had one memorable catch on a poorly thrown ball, cradling it over his head and turning up field quickly.

Darrin Reaves also looked good. He may be the sleeper of the camp at the skill positions. He has good size and runs low.

300_1019-Edit.jpg

After practice Rivera praised Philly brown as a very smart football player. Apparently, he is a bit of a cut up as well

300_0894-Edit.jpg

Kony Ealy looked great at times, and overpowered at others. He had looks at both defensive tackle and defensive end. He was hardly able to get any push at tackle, but performed very well at end. Again, it is difficult to assess the linemen in drills that no pads are worn or full contact is not allowed.

The play of the day, and the camp, and possibly the best play I have ever seen at a Panthers practice when to none other than Kelvin Benjamin. In traffic he sprung up out of no where with a beautiful one handed grab towering over everyone. Gettleman nearly had a heart attack from pleasure as KB walked back to the huddle while giving the ole Michael Jordan shrug.

michael-jordan-the-shrug.jpg

This got a great laugh from his fellow receivers.

This play told me everything I needed to know. Benjamin absolutely is a high talent individual. That single catch was more than Brandon Lafell had ever shown me, ability wise. This is why he is a first rounder. He can do something that those other guys could not.

At the end, Kelvin had much to smile about.

300_1237-Edit.jpg

Summer School and OTA's start in a few weeks. The coaches will be watching carefully on who retained the information from the rookie camp and carry it through to the next practices. Coachability is something rarely talked about, but could be the difference between who gets a jersey and who does not.

Click here to view the article

Carrington Byndom?????

Sounds like this could be another Evertt Brown type guy that might not be here in a few seasons. I hope he gets better. But when he got drafted some people said he was undersized for his position at DE. Brown was the same way. I just got this feeling this could end up the same way with Ealy in next few years. I know it is way to early to judge. But it doesn't sound good in the long run.

Everette Brown was 6'1" and weighted 255lb at the combine,

Ealy is 6'4" at 273lb.

Everette seemed like a nice guy but I hope Ealy has much more production.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

• Pie 1

Sounds like this could be another Evertt Brown type guy that might not be here in a few seasons. I hope he gets better. But when he got drafted some people said he was undersized for his position at DE. Brown was the same way. I just got this feeling this could end up the same way with Ealy in next few years. I know it is way to early to judge. But it doesn't sound good in the long run.

Whatever you do in life, make sure you jump to baseless comparisons as fast as possible

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

• Pie 2

Check the size of Big Money and Da Kraken, Ealy is right there with both. Camp haven't began YET. Don't label this kid as a bust already, I mean come on.

Apparently Mike Evans is also killing it in TB

Bn2XG09CYAAHROw.jpg

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/467696080432291840/photo/1

This is Evans playing catch with another WR to warm up. Not a route at full speed. Not impressed. You don't see anything like this from Evans in game highlights.

He usually used his speed to separate and relied on accurate passes from Manziel to hit him the numbers or lead him in full stride. Evans constantly got small and short armed catches when contact was involved. He Rarely goes over the middle with traffic around.

All you need to do is watch FSU v. Duke in the ACC Championship game and Texas A&M v. Duke in the Bowl game to see the difference between the two receivers. You can put 2 or 3 DBs on Benjamin and he does not care and loves to get physical. You put 2 or 3 DBs on Evans and he fades away. Evans also disappears in the redzone.

Evans got away with his speed and Manziel leading him with great passes. He losses those advantages on the NFL level with the Bucs QB. Now he needs to be bigger and stronger than his competition and earn his money over the middle. He reminds me of Darrius Heyward Bey coming from college to the pros.

• Pie 2

Why are people concerned about Ealy not getting much push at DT? Guards are among the strongest players in the NFL, I wouldn't expect a 270 pound DE to be able to get push on a straight bull rush against a guard. Ealy's success at DT comes from his explosiveness and being able to get around the guard BEFORE they can put their hands on him...he's not going to be able to straight up overpower a guard who has the strength to hold off 300+ pound DTs.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by Ealy not getting much "push"..."push" to me sounds like a straight 1 on 1 bullrush-type situation. Hardy can get push on guards cause he has almost 20 pounds on Ealy and is more of a power-rusher (compared to Ealy I mean...Hardy can really do it all). Ealy's strength is not his....well, strength; he's a finesse rusher.

• Pie 3

This is Evans playing catch with another WR to warm up. Not a route at full speed. Not impressed. You don't see anything like this from Evans in game highlights.

Actually that's not true. Here is the video from the photo which the Bucs posted. http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Mike-Evans-One-Handed-Catch/1b53f8a0-79c8-4869-8f67-e0cf1430950c

No need trying to downplay his game, he is a beast.

• Pie 2