• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

Cap is going to continue to rise more and more every year. That helps at least. We just need Gettleman to continue drafting well so that when players are due to get paid here, we have capable depth and players waiting in the wings to take their place so it is easier to negotiate and easier to let them go as a viable replacement piece is already on the roster. The single most important factor in handing this money to Cam is drafting well every year and keeping him upright.

• Pie 7

There has been some recent talk that Seattle may be willing to offer Wilson the NFL's first fully guaranteed contract. They feel that thay can get a lower overall contract and save cap space. Wilson recently changed his agent to one who represents mostly baseball players where guaranteed contracts are standard. Apparently Seattle feels that the only downside would be if he were lost to a career ending injury, which is less llikely for QBs than other positions. Other GMs are really going to be pissed if this occurs and it will really throw a curve into Gman's negotiations with Cam.

• Pie 3

Cap is going to continue to rise more and more every year. That helps at least. We just need Gettleman to continue drafting well so that when players are due to get paid here, we have capable depth and players waiting in the wings to take their place so it is easier to negotiate and easier to let them go as a viable replacement piece is already on the roster. The single most important factor in handing this money to Cam is drafting well every year and keeping him upright.

Indeed.

So then why are you complaining?

We have holes that need to be filled via F/A before the draft. I'd prefer to not shop at the dollar store for the next 6 years. Don't forget we need to give Olsen, Keeks and possibly Hardy contracts. Don't forget about Norman either. Edited by Dex

This is the part I find disheartening

"Then, sources say, if the Panthers’ offer meets Newton’s expectations, he is interested in remaining with Carolina for the long-term."

I mean I am a businessman and am not naive, but this thing could get ugly if Cam's camp wants it to.

Edited by SCP
  • Pie 7