• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

Colts will have the option of adding a 5th year to Luck's deal like we did with Cam since 1st round contracts have that option. So not as much negotiating leverage for Cam's agent there.

You're right on Russell's contract it's the last year and since it's a 3rd round contract, there's no 5th year option. That gives the Seahawks a sense of urgency to do Russell's deal before the season starts, just like us.

I know all that.  What I'm saying is if the Colts and Seahawks drag out this thing and Cam truly wants them to set the market first then we're sitting in a pretty weird situation.  Cam's 5th year option will be up, Colt's have the option to pick up Luck's 5th year, and who knows what the Seahawks do?  

The way I interpreted the source's statement is Cam pretty much wants to be the highest paid player in the league.  I'm just hoping it doesn't get messy.

I'm not asking Cam to take 10 million a year but my god he should not be paid like an elite quarterback. 18-19 a year is fair for both sides. Make most of it guaranteed and boom.

I'm also fearful of overpaying but its seemingly inevitable to this point.  Almost have to consider it him doing us a solid by agree to any contract lingo that be considered "team-friendly".  Could also end up gambling with the option year then you still could tag him.  Can't get something worked out by then you have to just move on.  Ideally Cam's camp and the Panthers brass are at least in the same ball park if these reports are coming out.

He's probably tired of the media shatting all over him because he's not on a more favored franchise and we hired a defensive HC and GM with a #1 overall pick invested in a QB.

I'm sure he's gonna cost more than he would if we had tried harder to build around him, cause it kinda looks like we don't give a poo about him the way this has all gone down.

Can't say I blame him.

I just want to say that you just CAN NOT compare my job to Cam's. I'm a factory worker, he is a NFL QB. Me taking a lower salary to bring me in some help would just be plain stupid. I don't benefit at all from any success my employer makes, unless he decides to give me a raise. Which has little to do with the help around me. I have no Super Bowl, no Pro Bowl, no Hall of Fame, no body knows how many parts I bend outside of my job. (No stats) I said all that to say this. Cam taking less money to surround himself with weapons makes sense. I understand if he doesn't want to, not my point. Our job situations are just different, vastly. I gain zilch from giving a home town discount and asking for someone to give me better help.......that is honestly one of the craziest comparisons I have ever seen.

Gettlemen will not make Cam the highest paid player in the league until it has been earned.  Check him out on PFF and take his numbers into a mock negotiation and play Bus Cook.  You are not walking away with a blank check.

I personally think it is going to get ugly if Cam does not face the reality of his situation.  His stats and history do not scream, "Guaranteed money."

I know people on here do not want to hear that, but imagine how you will feel if Cam does not take his game to the elite level--you have seen flashes, but on paper we are not talking elite yet.

Dave will not get emotional.  He will not feel bad about it while the ink is still wet.  He will make a fair offer.  I think Bus and Cam will accept a fair deal.  

As for Russell Wilson--he is not worth what they are going to pay him in my opinion.  Kaepernick is much less of a QB than Cam. 

I think Cam wants to win and will sign a deal that allows Dave to reduce his cap hit this year.  I would also add that a good QB like Cam is in a position-in this market--to demand more than he is worth.  I am just saying that if you think DG gives him everything he wants, you have not been watching DG.

Not bashing Cam, just analyzing the situation.  DG has been talking, and he always tells the truth. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 5

Gettlemen will not make Cam the highest paid player in the league until it has been earned. Check him out on PFF and take his numbers into a mock negotiation and play Bus Cook. You are not walking away with a blank check.

I personally think it is going to get ugly if Cam does not face the reality of his situation. His stats and history do not scream, "Guaranteed money."

Thanks for the lawls.

The Colts are already a team run by a crappy GM who's done a lousy job of building a team around his franchise quarterback.

I won't be surprised if he makes things even worse by throwing so much money at Luck that he's taking up somewhere from 20-25% of their cap, thus meaning they'll have to try and make a half decent roster of 52 other players (plus practice squad, IR, etc.) with whatever fraction is left.

That is not someone whose example I want to see us following.

The Colts are already a team run by a crappy GM who's done a lousy job of building a team around his franchise quarterback.

I won't be surprised if he makes things even worse by throwing so much money at Luck that he's taking up somewhere from 20-25% of their cap, thus meaning they'll have to try and make a half decent roster of 52 other players (plus practice squad, IR, etc.) with whatever fraction is left.

That is not someone whose example I want to see us following.

Seriously?

The Colts and Luck have won 33 Regular Season games in 3 years and made the Playoffs 3 straight years.

What does that make the Panther's organization?

The Panthers were the first team to enjoy an elite 1st round QB at Rookie Salary Cap discounts and for the most part, have wasted the opportunity.

The NFL Salary Cap might be leaning towards 160 million by 2016. Are you really suggesting the Colts will offer Andrew Luck in the neighborhood of 32-40 million dollars per year?

Edited by Kevin Greene

Gettlemen will not make Cam the highest paid player in the league until it has been earned.  Check him out on PFF and take his numbers into a mock negotiation and play Bus Cook.  You are not walking away with a blank check.

I personally think it is going to get ugly if Cam does not face the reality of his situation.  His stats and history do not scream, "Guaranteed money."

I know people on here do not want to hear that, but imagine how you will feel if Cam does not take his game to the elite level--you have seen flashes, but on paper we are not talking elite yet.

Dave will not get emotional.  He will not feel bad about it while the ink is still wet.  He will make a fair offer.  I think Bus and Cam will accept a fair deal.  

As for Russell Wilson--he is not worth what they are going to pay him in my opinion.  Kaepernick is much less of a QB than Cam. 

I think Cam wants to win and will sign a deal that allows Dave to reduce his cap hit this year.  I would also add that a good QB like Cam is in a position-in this market--to demand more than he is worth.  I am just saying that if you think DG gives him everything he wants, you have not been watching DG.

Not bashing Cam, just analyzing the situation.  DG has been talking, and he always tells the truth. 

He probably won't be breaking banks.......but,  high guaranteed isn't just for the elite.

Cutler got $54M guaranteed

Ryan received $42M guaranteed.

Stafford,  $41M guaranteed.

Alex Smith, $45M guaranteed.

If enough non-elite qbs start getting $40M+ guaranteed.......then it starts to become the new standard.    

Seriously?

The Colts and Luck have won 33 Regular Season games in 3 years and made the Playoffs 3 straight years.

What does that make the Panther's organization?

The Panthers were the first team to enjoy an elite 1st round QB at Rookie Salary Cap discounts and for the most part, have wasted the opportunity.

The NFL Salary Cap might be leaning towards 160 million by 2016. Are you really suggesting the Colts will offer Andrew Luck in the neighborhood of 32-40 million dollars per year?

Check their record vs winning teams.

They get to the playoffs largely because they play in an awful division. After getting there they tend to get destroyed. Not just beaten. Blown away.

As to what they plan to offer him, I feel comfortable saying the guy who thought Trent Richardson was worth trading a first round pick for is not a guy I'm comfortable with setting contract values.

• Pie 4