• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overthecap outlook

AU-panther

They should have huge amounts of cap space in 2016 as a quick run through of some projected cuts and placeholder cap charges should leave them with over $60 million in cap room if no big free agents are brought in and the cap continues to rise at a $10M a year pace. That is the season where they should be considering spending, not so much this one.

So that's what the light at the end of the tunnel looks like...

The people over at overthecap.com have been doing some write-ups on every team's financial outlook for next season.  Thought some might find it interesting.

http://overthecap.com/panthers-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Thanks AU-panther,that oTc outlook, was one of the most informative i've see pertaining to the Panthers salary cap situation.

We obviously won't have 60 million in 2016 after re-signing/extending some guys, but just for giggles, some guys who may be FA in 2016...

WR - Julio, AJ Green, Brian Quick, Alshon, Hilton

LT - Trent Williams, Nate Solder, Anthony Castonzo, Russel Okung, Cordy Glenn, Riley Reiff

DL - (Tho some may not fit scheme) Muhammad Wilkerson, Cameron Jordan, Fletcher Cox, Chandler Jones, 

DT - Plenty, but we're good it seems

Secondary - J. Joseph, Weddle, Leon Hall, Eric Berry, Stephon Gilmore, Janoris Jenkins

Sure, some non scheme fits (for now) there, and some guys getting older. However, it could be a good time to be flush with cap space. 

That article was a joke when it came to free agency and the draft. While I agree that there aren't many free agents worth keeping, the idea that we should let Johnson play out his contract and not sign Hardy may make money sense if you want to stockpile money so we end up like Tampa or another team with plenty of money and no talent. First of all Johnson is only 28 and can play for 4 or 5 years minimally. He won't get another contract like he signed earlier and shouldn't but the only way he should walk is if he won't extend at a reasonable amount. But I surely would attempt to do so. I know we will likely move on from Hardy but I think that is a mistake as well. With a suspension very possible he would be cheap on a 1 or 2 year contract. Secondly That 60 million cap figure is all pie in the sky. Who really wants us to not bring in a free agent wide receiver this year or at least attempt to find a left tackle if we can find one before putting everything on drafting someone who may need a year or two in order to be ready to play in the NFL. And we shouldn't try and bring in at least one or two defensive backfield vets to shore up the secondary? I am all for drafting guys to fill spots but we have been lucky finding starters who are rookies and can't always count on that. Plus the big reason we start off so slow each year is that many of our projected starters are not ready to start given they have little or no experience at the pro level. If we take this sites advice we have a ton of money in 2016 and have just come off a 4 win season even in the NFCS. Newton needs weapons and we need to spend money now to do that. We can sign some guys, retain, extend and restructure others and have a solid year in 2015 and still have 30 million in 2016 just considering the dead cap space we lose, the increase in the cap and signing guys to cap friendly contracts.

This article was written by a guy who is looking at the money and contracts but knows little about football and building a team.

That article was a joke when it came to free agency and the draft. While I agree that there aren't many free agents worth keeping, the idea that we should let Johnson play out his contract and not sign Hardy may make money sense if you want to stockpile money so we end up like Tampa or another team with plenty of money and no talent. First of all Johnson is only 28 and can play for 4 or 5 years minimally. He won't get another contract like he signed earlier and shouldn't but the only way he should walk is if he won't extend at a reasonable amount. But I surely would attempt to do so. I know we will likely move on from Hardy but I think that is a mistake as well. With a suspension very possible he would be cheap on a 1 or 2 year contract. Secondly That 60 million cap figure is all pie in the sky. Who really wants us to not bring in a free agent wide receiver this year or at least attempt to find a left tackle if we can find one before putting everything on drafting someone who may need a year or two in order to be ready to play in the NFL. And we shouldn't try and bring in at least one or two defensive backfield vets to shore up the secondary? I am all for drafting guys to fill spots but we have been lucky finding starters who are rookies and can't always count on that. Plus the big reason we start off so slow each year is that many of our projected starters are not ready to start given they have little or no experience at the pro level. If we take this sites advice we have a ton of money in 2016 and have just come off a 4 win season even in the NFCS. Newton needs weapons and we need to spend money now to do that. We can sign some guys, retain, extend and restructure others and have a solid year in 2015 and still have 30 million in 2016 just considering the dead cap space we lose, the increase in the cap and signing guys to cap friendly contracts.

This article was written by a guy who is looking at the money and contracts but knows little about football and building a team.

Basically I don't disagree with you but I read it that CJ would be reworked to a modest deal and the 60 million dollar number is simply a max. While not all the moves suggested are right or will be done, the perhaps more important number was the 19 players under contract in 2016. That's a reflection of flexibility. The opposite of the Saints. And that makes me feel like we are trending up.

Hey, remember when Gettleman got so much poo for being frugal and not over paying for marginal players?

Ted Ginn

Mike Mitchell

And when he had to make tough decisions as far as letting some big names go?

I was big on calling out those who were so short sighted and that they only had tunnel vision..

Well guess what, we have a young core, will have another fresh batch of rookies next season, and then we will have 60 million dollars to spend..

yeah fug gettleman hes a retard

Archived