• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agent News

Mr. Scot

Does All-Pro auto-renew?  If it does, I'm not interested.  I know I'll forget and be stuck paying for it every month from here until eternity (kinda the point of auto-renew, I know).  If it doesn't, I'll probably jump onboard.  Only really interested in it during the offseason.

I don't think so and I paid for a year. A little cheaper and I don't have to remember. I think it's 5 per month and 48 per year.

NFL Notes: Bears, Broncos, Falcons, Lions, Packers, Patriots, & Vikings

Bears
Bears have informed free agent LB D.J. Williams that they will move in a different direction, and he won’t be re-signed.

Broncos
Broncos re-signed LB Steven Johnson to a one-year contract.

Falcons
the Falcons are expected to be in play on Rams free agent TE Lance Kendricks.

Lions
Lions are hosting Penn State offensive tackle Donovan Smith for a visit on Tuesday.

Packers
Packers are not pursuing WR Andre Johnson at this time.
Johnson was a Plan B option for the Packers in case they lost WR Randall Cobb.

Patriots
Patriots re-signed ERFA FB James Develin to a one-year, $660,000 contract.

Vikings
Adrian Peterson met with the Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf and general manager Rick Spielman on Monday.

It seems likely we had our eye on someone whom we thought we nobody else wanted and got scared when other teams showed interest. Every year we see this team try to display how "clever" it is and then we watch our free agency plan fall apart when it backfires

This team will never be a perennial championship contender until it realizes that it's approach to free agency is wrong. That's the sad, unfortunate truth of the matter.

You think 2013's free agency was an example of 'falling apart"?

Our approach to free agency is the same as a lot of teams who are regular contenders.  The difference is that right now it's hampered by lack of cap room because Marty Hurney spent too freely.

Does All-Pro auto-renew?  If it does, I'm not interested.  I know I'll forget and be stuck paying for it every month from here until eternity (kinda the point of auto-renew, I know).  If it doesn't, I'll probably jump onboard.  Only really interested in it during the offseason.

Does All-Pro auto-renew? Yes ;(

With this FA WR market, I expected an upgrade at #2 WR.  If we don't sign one, I think that's a very clear sign we're taking another WR in the first three rounds.  I thought that was likely anyway, but if we go into the season with this WR corps and this upcoming draft class, forget penciling one in, you can write that in with a Sharpie.

The question for the FA WR pickup....who?

The question for the FA WR pickup....who?

Torrey Smith was #1 on my list, but I imagine we got priced out of that one pretty quick if we were even in the running at all.

Others included:

Cecil Shorts

Eddie Royal

Michael Crabtree

Denarius Moore

Hakeem Nicks

Who knows, maybe one or more of those names will be in the dumpster when we dive in.  I'm not even certain that some of those names would provide a definite upgrade at #2 WR, but they'd at least provide some competition.

Torrey Smith was #1 on my list, but I imagine we got priced out of that one pretty quick if we were even in the running at all.

Others included:

Cecil Shorts

Eddie Royal

Michael Crabtree

Denarius Moore

Hakeem Nicks

Who knows, maybe one or more of those names will be in the dumpster when we dive in.  I'm not even certain that some of those names would provide a definite upgrade at #2 WR, but they'd at least provide some competition.

We have a big red zone WR in KB, we need speed.  Only guy that intrigues me is Moore, and I don't think that he can catch.

We have a big red zone WR in KB, we need speed.  Only guy that intrigues me is Moore, and I don't think that he can catch.

Ideally we could use speed, but what we NEED is a better #2 WR.  At least we have Ginn back in the fold to add some speed.  He was a good field stretcher for us in '13. 

You think 2013's free agency was an example of 'falling apart"?

Our approach to free agency is the same as a lot of teams who are regular contenders.  The difference is that right now it's hampered by lack of cap room because Marty Hurney spent too freely.

Things obviously worked out pretty well in 2013.

2014 though, 2 of the 3 WR's we signed didn't even finish the season on the roster, one didn't even make it out of preseason. Jerricho Cotchery was someone who I was hopeful would step up, but for the most part he never did. We cannot repeat that this year.

We signed Cotchery to be our #2, but Ted Ginn put up better numbers and more points in 2013 as our #3.

Signing Ginn back is certainly a start, but at the very least we need to look for an upgrade over Cotchery. With the production he put up last year we could replace that for virtually nothing, so acquiring an improvement won't exactly break the bank.

Archived