• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rams release Jake Long

MtnJax

I have to admit I'm a little skittish about the idea of putting us in the position of depending on someone of whom the phrase "if healthy" must be applied.

Yeah, I know about Davis, but people have to remember that's a pretty unique story, not to mention a smaller player.

Jake Long's knees have to be able to support a lot more weight than Thomas Bavis's do.

Leg injuries are not an easy thing for big men to recover from even in the best of circumstances.

I have to admit I'm a little skittish about the idea of putting us in the position of depending on someone of whom the phrase "if healthy" must be applied.

Yeah, I know about Davis, but people have to remember that's a pretty unique story, not to mention a smaller player.

Jake Long's knees have to be able to support a lot more weight than Thomas Bavis's do.

Leg injuries are not an easy thing for big men to recover from even in the best of circumstances.

I was thinking these very things as I was reading this thread so agree completely. There has to be a vast difference in the stress on an offensive tackle's knees who is making contact every play and having constant peessures put on them as opposed to a linebacker who does a lot of running but isn't in on every play.

If he has considered retirement, one has to wonder just how much is left in the tank, especially one that has been springing leaks lately.

I don't think signing the likes of Oher and Long would alter our draft plans in the least.  Even if you sign them both, I don't think you hesitate for a second to take an OT at #25 if there's on there you like. 

Or, maybe signing those two lets you go elsewhere in the 1st (maybe Jaelen Strong) and then take a guy like Cedric Ogbuehi in the 2nd since you wouldn't be forced to play him and you could just let him focus on rehab.

I was thinking these very things as I was reading this thread so agree completely. There has to be a vast difference in the stress on an offensive tackle's knees who is making contact every play and having constant peessures put on them as opposed to a linebacker who does a lot of running but isn't in on every play.

If he has considered retirement, one has to wonder just how much is left in the tank, especially one that has been springing leaks lately.

The retirement talk is definitely a red flag.

I don't think signing the likes of Oher and Long would alter our draft plans in the least.  Even if you sign them both, I don't think you hesitate for a second to take an OT at #25 if there's on there you like. 

Or, maybe signing those two lets you go elsewhere in the 1st (maybe Jaelen Strong) and then take a guy like Cedric Ogbuehi in the 2nd since you wouldn't be forced to play him and you could just let him focus on rehab.

Sign Jake Long, draft Cedric Ogbuehi...

Now that's a strategy for an organization with a lot of confidence in their team doctors.

Archived