• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

last year it was: Rivera on Cam: "He's got to develop as a passer."

today at the NFC coaches breakfast, it was:

Charlotte Observer:

Rivera said he wants to Newton his sharpen his "position-specific skills" this season to become a more polished quarterback.

"I think he relies so much on his great athleticism that sometimes he's not as sound as he needs to be with his fundamentals," Rivera said. "Now as he continues to grow, I think that's the next step is being sound in everything he does."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article16276793.html

NFL.com:

Rivera has big plans for Newton in 2015, including more no huddle. ... Rivera said: "One of the things we did to help him, once he was healthy and ready to roll, was to institute a no huddle. He seemed to handle that well. Starting from where we finished, we'd like to see him hone that skill."

Rivera went on to say that Newton needs to continue to try to break away from relying on his athleticism and sharpen himself as a passer. Thinking of Newton as a 100 percent complete quarterback is terrifying for many defensive coordinators.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481387/article/rivera-wont-talk-cam-contract-hopes-deal-is-done-soon

David Newton @DNewtonespn

7h

Rivera on Cam Newton. "Cam has grown. He’s at that preface of

taking it to the next step."

Joe Person @josephperson

9h

Rivera: I think Cam's grown and he's on the precipice of taking

the next step to the next level.

David Newton @DNewtonespn

9h

Rivera says Newton sometimes relies on athleticism that he's

not sound fundamentally. Wants that to improve.

Joe Person @josephperson

9h

Rivera on Cam: Sometimes he relies so much on his athleticism

that he's not as sound as he needs to be with his fundamentals

CA84gnNUMAIjrps.jpg

First move would be get the man some tackles he can have faith in.

Second move consists of a Shula Replacement. 

As of now, the sound Cam can hear more than anything is that of his own tackles rollerskates on the turf being pushed in and around his pocket.

Remmers gets a pass but he's also upgradable. Nate Chandler should never see RT again...and Bell is Bell...good guy/bad starter .. no resign ..I thank you.

I have a feeling that people are going to make excuses for Cam no matter what. It is always everybody else's fault besides Cam that he still (after 4 years) continually overthrows his receivers, misplaces the ball, takes ill-advised sacks, misreads a defense, forces the ball into triple coverage, etc. Don't think I'm bashing Cam. I think he has done a good job considering he had 1 year of college ball and came from a non-pro offense. But I want to see some better progression. We won't win a superb owl without Cam taking his game to another level.

Archived