• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is it that some of you huddlers are fixated on..

A wide receivers 40 time?

Do you guys realize that doesn't mean a damn thing in the NFL? You have to have more than speed. I've seen countless of times were I read some of your comments and shake my head at the sheer stupidit.

A wide out has to have not only speed, but awareness, has to have initiative, hand eye coordination, some type of athleticism to make plays. At least be smart enough to know how to learn a playbook. Can he run a route? Can he run the right route?

There are countless of wide outs that didn't run a 4.3 forty time and are great nfl players. The biggest example of this is Jerry Rice. But what did he have that compensated the lack of speed? Determination, great route running, great hands, superb intellect. He could learn a playbook. He wanted it bad.

In past years you had several low 40 time receivers that are really good wide outs. Last year's Jarvis Landry. The guy ran a horrible 40 time. But he caught everything in his path And knows his route tree. A couple of years ago, Keenan Allen, someone I was high ono, was injured and ran a slow 40 time. He went in the third to the Chargers, now SD has a #1 wide out.

The point is, I'd if a guy runs a slow 40 don't count him out. There are other ways to make up for that speed. Route running, hip placement, step placement, breaking in and out of routes is key to getting open, even the veteran moves to fake out a corner.

Having speed is fine, but can you control that speed? If you can't stop on a dime, it won't matter if you're fast as the flash.

When I see people bash the likes of say Justin Hardy because he ran a 4.5 forty at the combine or a 4.4 at his pro day, I can't help but to shake my head at the pure ignorance of it. He is one of the few guys that I would say is extremely underrated. His speed is decent but his work ethic, hands, route running, and determination will help him at the next level. If he is picked by the Panthers, I'll be ecstatic about it. Gettleman knows his poo.

/Rant over

Tl;dr - 40 times ain't poo Boys.

This is one of the best post I've read in a while. Between the experts Raving about 40 times and fans upset because the fastest receiver on the draft board wasn't selected, I just shake my head. The team needs a receiver with intelligence, heart, and a large catch radius (all three). If he doesn't have these three skills, he's just a JAG (just another guy).

A wide receivers 40 time?

Do you guys realize that doesn't mean a damn thing in the NFL? You have to have more than speed. I've seen countless of times were I read some of your comments and shake my head at the sheer stupidit.

A wide out has to have not only speed, but awareness, has to have initiative, hand eye coordination, some type of athleticism to make plays. At least be smart enough to know how to learn a playbook. Can he run a route? Can he run the right route?

There are countless of wide outs that didn't run a 4.3 forty time and are great nfl players. The biggest example of this is Jerry Rice. But what did he have that compensated the lack of speed? Determination, great route running, great hands, superb intellect. He could learn a playbook. He wanted it bad.

In past years you had several low 40 time receivers that are really good wide outs. Last year's Jarvis Landry. The guy ran a horrible 40 time. But he caught everything in his path And knows his route tree. A couple of years ago, Keenan Allen, someone I was high ono, was injured and ran a slow 40 time. He went in the third to the Chargers, now SD has a #1 wide out.

The point is, I'd if a guy runs a slow 40 don't count him out. There are other ways to make up for that speed. Route running, hip placement, step placement, breaking in and out of routes is key to getting open, even the veteran moves to fake out a corner.

Having speed is fine, but can you control that speed? If you can't stop on a dime, it won't matter if you're fast as the flash.

When I see people bash the likes of say Justin Hardy because he ran a 4.5 forty at the combine or a 4.4 at his pro day, I can't help but to shake my head at the pure ignorance of it. He is one of the few guys that I would say is extremely underrated. His speed is decent but his work ethic, hands, route running, and determination will help him at the next level. If he is picked by the Panthers, I'll be ecstatic about it. Gettleman knows his poo.

/Rant over

Tl;dr - 40 times ain't poo Boys.

I have said the same thing.  To extend your point, how many WRs whose speed is their most impressive attribute become elite WRs? 

Very few. 

Give me 4.55 and good hands any day.

Michael Irving said, "When are you going to run full speed anyway?  The route starts after the break--that has nothing to do with 40 speed because the start is where most fast guys get the low numbers.

Some of the greatest receivers in NFL history have had very average speed, so Yeh speed alone doesn't make a guy an automatic star. Look at the guy we snagged last year, dude isnt a "barn burner" yet he scored double digit tds and had 1000 yards...

Archived