• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Whatever happened to WW2 games?

KillerKat

Do you like online or single player stuff?

I play Heroes & Generals and War Thunder. Both are free to play. No single player at all in H&G though.

I started out online with the original Call of Duty, which I played the hell out of. I also loved the Medal of Honor games and Call of Duty games on the PS2. Then Brothers in Arms came out and took it to another level.

WWII sims ended when programmers were able to shoehorn all the glitzy technical stuff into the GUI to keep the twichy eyes and fingers moving at all times unfortunately. I still would rather start up another Call of Duty session throwing potatoes at scarecrows dressed up as Nazis before getting tossed into Stalingrad than have all the computer aided screens and stuff all over..

To expand on my earlier post, an RPG set in WWII, modeled after a Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age would be the poo. I doubt you could have the same depth to the game and crazy amounts of missions, but it would be fun.

Nice idea. Missions based on spying, sabotage could be cool.

WWII Fps was my poo back then.

I was way into MOHAA especially online. Was also in some tournaments and leagues playing with a clan. We played BF1942, MOHAA expansion packs, COD etc but I will always remember Brothers in Arms, me and a few guys ran a fan site for that game before it came out. It soiled any respect I had for Ubisoft.

We tried to get interviews, previews etc and had a pretty decent forum and site going and they either ignored us, or when they did give us stuff it was either completely different than how the actual game was or just flat out lied. I was so hyped for that game, and was so disappointed it was the last WWII Fps game I got super hyped for. I lost interest in about a week into that game.

Problem was every one was making FPS WWII games back then. It was oversaturated, you had EA bled the poo out of the MOH series (surprise surprise) BF had 1942 and its expansions but went to Vietnam etc and continued to today, you had mods Red Orcastra, RTS games everything. You can thank Saving a Private Ryan for this boom but it died around 2004-2006

Yea. The only WWII game that's recent that I can think right now is that Sniper Elite poo.

I really hope Black Ops 3 goes back to WWII. A new generation fps of WWII would be awesome and I'd play it all the time. As of now I barely even get on xbox anymore and when I do it's either for NCAA 14(the last decent football game) or 2k.

Archived