• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCoy vs Kelly

Mr. Scot

LeSean McCoy says Chip Kelly doesn't respect star players

Excerpts...

LeSean McCoy still hasn't spoken to Chip Kelly. The running back said his former coach called him twice, but he didn't answer. So he has yet to hear Kelly's reason for trading him to the Buffalo Bills last month.

McCoy said he heard Kelly say to reporters that money was the primary factor. He said he heard Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie say that Kelly thought his shifty running style wasn't ideally suited to his offense.

He has another theory.

"I don't think he likes or respects the stars. I'm being honest," McCoy told The Inquirer on Monday. "I think he likes the fact that it's 'Chip Kelly and the Eagles.'"

"It was 'DeSean Jackson - a high-flying, take-off-the-top-of-the-defense receiver.' Or 'the quick, elusive LeSean McCoy,' " McCoy said. "I don't think [Kelly] likes that."

McCoy said that he has no animosity toward Kelly and that he intends to call his former coach soon. He understands the NFL is a business, but he said he felt disrespected with how the trade went down without his prior knowledge.

Like most observers, McCoy noticed the difference between Lurie's comments made two weeks ago at the NFL meeting and Kelly's when explaining the trade.

The owner said Kelly preferred north-to-south tailbacks like DeMarco Murray, whom the Eagles eventually signed. Kelly has focused on McCoy's $12 million salary-cap number even though the Eagles gave Murray a five-year, $40 million contract.

"I read what he said in the media and I agree with it," McCoy said of Lurie's comments. "There's nothing wrong with that. Chip felt like I wasn't a fit for his offense. But why not say that?

"It's hard to say that because if you turn on that tape when that [offense] isn't going I make that [stuff] happen. You see, he can't say that. But I think that's how he felt."

"I was so big on trying to improve myself," said McCoy, who left the Eagles as their all-time leading rusher with 6,792 yards. "Now you put my numbers up. You put my [numbers] up and you'll see it. It tells you it. In any system - Andy or Chip. So I'm not going to go there, back and forth with that. I just feel like the only thing I didn't like was the respect.

"For so many years I gave you all what you wanted. You know? And then for how it went down, it was like a surprise. I'm thinking, 'Does everybody look at it how I look at it?'"

The Eagles were shopping McCoy a week before free agency opened. When they called the Bills it took only 30 minutes to pull off the swap for linebacker Kiko Alonso, Ryan has said. It wasn't finalized, however, and when it was reported not long after, McCoy said he found out from his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, while training in Miami.

"He called up and he said, 'Hey, it's not a joke. Eagles are trying to trade you to the Bills,' " McCoy said. "I'm like, 'What?'"

The Bills made him feel at home by reworking his contract and giving him a five-year, $40 million deal

"Money wasn't the first reason to make me want to come here," McCoy said. "Even when I knew [about the contract offer], I was like, 'I'm not going there. I don't give a freak what they give me, I'm not going.' And then I realized it was the best for me. This is a team that wants me. Coach Ryan is a winner and he wants to run the ball."

Ryan has a reputation for being a players' coach and as someone who gives his stars and veterans a little leeway. McCoy looked at the current Eagles offense without stars like Jackson, Maclin and him.

"Now you've got DeMarco. I think he's a good player," McCoy said. "But then you've got [quarterback Sam] Bradford. He's in and out, banged up. The main wide receiver is [Riley] Cooper. The tight end is [brent] Celek. . . . [Kelly] likes it like that. The tension - the this or that - he doesn't like that. He don't like the way you dress.

"He's not the bad dude everybody makes him out to be. He's just different. But I don't really have any hate for him. I really don't. In the beginning I did, but I don't. If I see him I'll speak to him, respectfully - 'How are you doing, coach? Good luck.' "

So what do you see here: a whiny player, an egomaniacal coach, or both?

Is there a villain in this story?  Is there a good guy?  If so, who's who?

LeSean McCoy says Chip Kelly doesn't respect star players

Excerpts...

So what do you see here: a whiny player, an egomaniacal coach, or both?

Is there a villain in this story?  Is there a good guy?  If so, who's who?

Egotistical coach.  (no surprise, most of them are)

Egotistical player.  (no surprise, most of them are)

Difference?  McCoy isn't as important.

The college way just doesn't work in the NFL, others have tried and failed (see Spurrier, Saban, etc.).

Good luck Chip, hopefully Oregon will keep a spot open for you, because you'll be back there soon.

He did make Nick Foles look like Joe Montana for a while. And last year went to the playoffs with Mark Sanchez.

More like some players don't have respect for anything much less their coach...good teams know when to get rid of players like that and the Patriots do it all the time...non story really.

Also worth noting we don't know how he was in the locker room...coaches absolutely will get rid of people they deem to be a problem...whether or not said person believes hes a problem or not.

Do you side more with either one?

I tend to side with teams over players.  McCoy was counting too much against the cap, was dancing, and his yards per carry was going down IIRC.

Chip is going to wear out his welcome, if that hasn't happened already, but I'm with the team on this one.

I think Kelly is a good coach. Not sure about his leadership skills though.

I think Shady is a good player who felt disrespected and got his feelings hurt. That's human and understandable.

When we say the NFL is a business, we are saying that there is a level to which the players are treated like meat or objects. Coaches get treated that way eventually too. And there isn't anything wrong with that inherently. It is a business and the players (and coaches) are the commodity. Regardless of the compensation (millions), people are still human and want to be respected.

We talk about the atmosphere in the Panthers locker room. The family environment. The comraderie. That is created by human beings and it is part of the success of an organization. It's not the only part but it is part.

So I don't think either player or coach are wrong in how they feel. It's an emotional event for Shady. He grew up in PA. Played ball at Pitt and then the Eagles. His life changed in a 30 minute phone call to Buffalo. It's understandable that he would be upset. He's getting over it. And Chip did what he felt was best. Are they both egotistical? Of course. Are either a bad guy? I doubt it.

Archived