• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: SS Swearinger claimed by Bucs on waivers

@bobbyagnese

I think you're right.  Not being able to cover anyone at the safety position probably doesn't fit in to O'Brien's scheme.   I'm sure here he can fill in for the void we have been missing since Sherrod Martin left if we traded for him.

Uh... I don't want to trade for him.

Safety is becoming a huge position on defense now with all of the tight end usage. Not that safety wasn't always important, but I think having a stellar safety has caught up with desiring a lock down corner. So much zone is played with the freakish atheltes at WR and TE that you need that deep man back there. Also, stepping in to stuff the run is vital now, so I don't get why a team would let a young talent like Swearinger go for a 3rd day pick.  

He's not like a McCourty or Chancellor type of safety, but he has a lot of potential to fill out at only 23.  If our 5th would get him here, I'd do it in a minute. He's far from perfect, but he hasn't played behind this front 7. It would eliminate a huge need with a minor pick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived