• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman on the Funchess Pick

Jeremy Igo

From Panthers.com

People are going to talk about his 40 time in Indy, but the kid plays fast, and he ran fast at the pro day at Michigan," Gettleman said. "Like with Kelvin last year, you can't coach size. He plays fast. He's a smooth and fluid big man. We really like that about him, and he's a very smart kid.

That last part is key I think. People love to talk about 40 times in regards to receivers, but never talk about football smarts. Being a great receiver in the NFL means so much more than just being fast, you need to understand the game.

Apparently the Panthers were impressed not only with his size, but his football smarts as well.

Btw, according to the Panthers website he ran a 4.47 at his pro day, which is more than quick enough for his size.

From Panthers.com

That last part is key I think. People love to talk about 40 times in regards to receivers, but never talk about football smarts. Being a great receiver in the NFL means so much more than just being fast, you need to understand the game.

Apparently the Panthers were impressed not only with his size, but his football smarts as well.

Btw, according to the Panthers website he ran a 4.47 at his pro day, which is more than quick enough for his size.

I was thinking same thing regarding his smarts. :thumbsu:

This means, the Panthers can integrate him faster/smoother into their offense.

Another receiver,  could be the most talented athletically. However, if he couldn't learn the offense and where the pass rush and secondary  were, it wouldn't mean squat! :thumbsd:

Now when you combine his size, decent athletically abilty, and WR talents,  you can understand why DG may have felt this way. 

Until proven otherwise, if DG's fine with it/him, so will I. :cool:

Gettleman talked about smarts with Shaq too. He said every decision he makes has to benefit the team in the short run and long run. So while Shaq and Devin might not be finished products. Their intelligence and talent will allow them to contribute while they develop.

Forget the 40 time with Devin. He's explosive. His vertical and broad blew Kelvin away. They are both big but that is where the comparisons stop for me.

I was thinking same thing regarding his smarts. :thumbsu:

This means, the Panthers can integrate him faster/smoother into their offense.

Another receiver,  could be the most talented athletically. However, if he couldn't learn the offense and where the pass rush and secondary  were, it wouldn't mean squat! :thumbsd:

Now when you combine his size, decent athletically abilty, and WR talents,  you can understand why DG may have felt this way. 

Until proven otherwise, if DG's fine with it/him, so will I. :cool:

Stephen Hill comes to mind....

Either the kid isn't smart enough, or doesn't love it enough.  You have to be both to be successful.

Sort of important for a WR.

I do wonder what exactly is his deal though.

It's probably everything we mentioned. :startle:

The 'word' is, he can't catch. However, not being able to catch is not always about stone hands. He may actually have good hands in isolation. Not being able to pick up the blitz, corners, pass rushes, and routes may confuse him enough to where he's lost on the play, and/or can't concentrate enough to catch the ball.

Also, a lot of speed guys, can't cut and always run routes the best, relying mostly on their speed. Problem is; once NFL DB's back off of you, and/or play you physically, speed and finesse guys may not like it.  :sick:

Gettleman talked about smarts with Shaq too. He said every decision he makes has to benefit the team in the short run and long run. So while Shaq and Devin might not be finished products. Their intelligence and talent will allow them to contribute while they develop.

Forget the 40 time with Devin. He's explosive. His vertical and broad blew Kelvin away. They are both big but that is where the comparisons stop for me.

Big height, smarts and explosiveness's, usually a good combination. :thumbsu:

Archived