• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many true, lifelong Panthers fans are actually out there?

SIGCHI222

I was a Cowboys fan for a while as a kid... They were always in the big games, so I guess I latched on... It would probably be the equivalent of a kid from Arkansas becoming a Patriots or Seahawks fan today...

Then the Panthers were announced... I was hooked... I have an old Xmas VHS home movie of me and all of my 13 year old nerddom (1993) rocking a Panthers sweatshirt before we even fielded a team... I got on a bus in Durham, by myself (well, mom took me to the bus stop because she didn't want me to drive to or from Durham,)  @ 16 (1997, before my 17th birthday in December) to catch my first ever game in person... It was the preseason game vs. Denver where Collins got his jaw broke...

I recorded every game on VHS as I watched it, so that I could go back later in the week to watch it over and over. I still have most of the 95, 96, 97, and 98 seasons, among others, on VHS... lol

I've been to countless games (although not enough recently,) spent countless time and energy dealing with Panthers stuff, owned countless items of memorabilia, etc.

No, I am too old to be a LIFELONG fan... but I have been a fan since the beginning. Hopefully I have been redeemed of my Cowboys years.

I started out as a Falcons fan back in like 1977 and carried through with them until the Panthers franchise was born. Heck, I even remember pulling for the very short-lived Charlotte Hornets WFL team in first grade. 

Growing up as a Falcons fan through the 70s, 80s and 90s was a long string of disappointment, and honestly it got my butt kicked on the school bus a time or two by Dallas and Pittsburgh fans. I still hate those teams to this day.

When the Panthers came along, I dumped the Falcons fast... I deserved a change and had earned it. Haven't regretted it since.

I'm a lifelong Panthers fan ... I've been a fan for the entire life of the Panthers. 

I'm almost 60. Always loved pro football but never really had a team until the Panthers. Actually was a fan before there was a team, because I knew before it was announced that Mr. Richardson was going to seek a team and I vowed to be a fan of any NFL team that came to the Carolinas (his, specifically).

I think alot of us who were born elsewhere also may have started with another team. For instance parents were cowboys fans even named me after them (Dallas) However before I knew what football was I liked greenbays G helmet. Was not until I had a tv in my room in like 02-03 that I finally picked the Panthers.

Grew up a Cowboys fan but always wanted a home team that I could go see in person not just on TV

So I have been a Panthers fan since "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" If you dont know what that means ... maybe you need to work on your Panthers history.

I went to the Hall of Fame game with the tour out of Charlotte and sit in the endzone where Panthers had a goal line stand to win the game. I had so much fun screaming and yelling that I knew this was my team until the day I die. If we could win a Super Bowl I could die a happy man that I was loyal from day 1 and I will pass all the joy of watching this team onto the rest of you, so you all can enjoy many more Super Bowls.

BTW .... I am an extreme Cowboy hater today.

Did you go to the HOF Game with Broach? I was on that trip.

...At the age of 10 I watched the first superbowl...Originally from Canton so I went up to watch the inaugural Hall of Fame game the first year the Panthers were a team... I know it was tough but I transitioned from a Browns fan to a Panthers fan that day....

I'm one. Didn't start watching football until 2001, and that's the season we went 1-15. I was 11 or 12 years old at the time. I just remember back in Middle School everyone used to clown and pick on the Panthers, so I felt it was my duty to stand up for them; especially since it was the hometown team.

There suckiness that year drove me to start watching them lol. 2003 was probably the best year for me, school wise. After going through that 1-15 season, to see them make the Super Bowl was magical. Even though we lost, I talked sht that whole year. My uncle bought me a Deshaun Foster jersey and I swear I rocked that thing once a week and anytime I was on the block playing with my boys. I still have that Foster jersey; in fact, I've got it framed and its hanging up in my office. It gets a lot of these Georgia folks I work with riled up.

It's been a long time, but I think my hometown of Winston is finally a Panthers city. I went back home during the playoffs, and everyone in Hanes Mall had on a panthers jersey.

Life long fan here born in 84....was a Cowboy fan before Panthers....my dad is from Dallas so him and my younger brother still root for them but since I was born in the Carolinas I more than jumped on board when we finally got a local team.

Archived