• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Music these days...

Darth Biscuit

Every era has bad music. The reason old music seem better is because no one remembers the bad music from the 60s and the 70s; the 1% songs that are worth remembering are the ones that get air time on oldies/classic rock stations. And only about half of those are any good.

I for one, am getting more nostalgic about the music in the 90s, and I realized that's because I've forgotten almost all of it, and the hundred 90s songs or so that I play on rotation are all that I remember, so it seems like a golden era. "Oh, man! The 90s had Oasis, and the GooGoo Dolls, and No Doubt, Eminem was blowing up, and fuggin Nirvana, man! 90s music was so much better!" Sometimes I forget that the 90s also produced Aqua and Sisqo.

It's our job to weather the storm of modern bad music, and push the next generation to recognize good music moderns artists are putting out to ensure that the 99% of crappy music is gladly forgotten.

Music isn't getting worse, you're just getting to be more discerning. Make sure the next generation learns to do likewise, so they can look back on their Bieber fandom and think to themselves, "Why the hell was I listening to this tripe?"

https://youtu.be/M6t47RI4bns

:huh:

I don't know how to embed. My bad

That blessings song is just ok... like I said at least R&B and Hip Hop songs mostly have a decent beat...

Every era has bad music. The reason old music seem better is because no one remembers the bad music from the 60s and the 70s; the 1% songs that are worth remembering are the ones that get air time on oldies/classic rock stations. And only about half of those are any good.

I for one, am getting more nostalgic about the music in the 90s, and I realized that's because I've forgotten almost all of it, and the hundred 90s songs or so that I play on rotation are all that I remember, so it seems like a golden era. "Oh, man! The 90s had Oasis, and the GooGoo Dolls, and No Doubt, Eminem was blowing up, and fuggin Nirvana, man! 90s music was so much better!" Sometimes I forget that the 90s also produced Aqua and Sisqo.

It's our job to weather the storm of modern bad music, and push the next generation to recognize good music moderns artists are putting out to ensure that the 99% of crappy music is gladly forgotten.

Music isn't getting worse, you're just getting to be more discerning. Make sure the next generation learns to do likewise, so they can look back on their Bieber fandom and think to themselves, "Why the hell was I listening to this tripe?"

Absolutely... there was some horrible music in the 80s and 90s...  like I said, not all modern music is bad.

Example:

Beyonce is bad, she needs to be quiet and just be hot.

Rihanna is good, she needs to keep going what she's doing...  :)

Dpantherman and I have these discussions quite a lot...

Example:

Rihanna is good, she needs to keep going what she's doing...   :)

...really?

I would completely flip that statement around. Rihanna's voice is so bad you can literally hear the auto-tune struggling to correct it.

I mean I hear her trying to hold that note in "Stay" and the whole time I'm just thinking, "Nooo! That auto-tuner was just 1 week away from retirement!"

Music has hit an all time low. I can appreciate popular music from literally every decade over the past century except for this one.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general the music reflects the youth of today, and it isn't good news. Materialistic, shallow, entitled.

That blessings song is just ok... like I said at least R&B and Hip Hop songs mostly have a decent beat...

Absolutely... there was some horrible music in the 80s and 90s... like I said, not all modern music is bad.

Example:

Rihanna is good, she needs to keep going what she's doing... :)

Dpantherman and I have these discussions quite a lot...

Yeah but I'm 18 and listen to everything. Hell I listen alot to frank Sinatra. I'm just going with a song that's popular now that I think is good. For me rap is all about the beat and not so much as lyrics. I just want a song that gets me pumped up like blessings. Drake has a good song that's old called marvins room. Really good. Top 5 song in 2000's. Good beat and lyrics are meaningful. Good for you after a break up

Yeah but I'm 18 and listen to everything. Hell I listen alot to frank Sinatra. I'm just going with a song that's popular now that I think is good. For me rap is all about the beat and not so much as lyrics. I just want a song that gets me pumped up like blessings. Drake has a good song that's old called marvins room. Really good. Top 5 song in 2000's. Good beat and lyrics are meaningful. Good for you after a break up

Oh.....no no no no.

That poo is terrible.

...really?

I would completely flip that statement around. Rihanna's voice is so bad you can literally hear the auto-tune struggling to correct it.

I mean I hear her trying to hold that note in "Stay" and the whole time I'm just thinking, "Nooo! That auto-tuner was just 1 week away from retirement!"

Rihanna isn't the best singer ever no... I don't disagree, but generally her music is entertaining... Beyonce's music to me is generally awful.

I'm the same way, my musical taste is varied...  I listen mostly to 90s rock, AiC, Deftones, STP, Sound Garden, etc...  I also like old school rap LL, Dre, Snoop, etc., 80s music, Pink Floyd and CCR, some older country (modern country sucks ass)... and everything in between...

That's a fuggin tragic statement. I can't believe that what was once literally the single most important aspect of the genre has taken a back seat to something that can be done by Skrillex. Go listen to the Marshall Mathers LP (it blows my mind that you were 2 years old when it came out), Illmatic, Minstrel Show, and College Dropout.

Like right now. Drop everything and go do it. 

My goodness. That's literally a "kids these day!" moment for me.

That's a fuggin tragic statement. I can't believe that what was once literally the single most important aspect of the genre has taken a back seat to something that can be done by Skrillex. Go listen to the Marshall Mathers LP (it blows my mind that you were 2 years old when it came out), Illmatic, Minstrel Show, and College Dropout.

Like right now. Drop everything and go do it.

My goodness. That's literally a "kids these day!" moment for me.

I love Stan and I've heard it. I've listened to most of that. I like gangsters paradise and tupac. Skrillex isn't my favorite but I feel like each song is good when you listen to it in the right mood. To get a crowd hyped up for a game. Yeah Skrillex would be chosen. Stan doesn't seem right there. But if you are feeling down Skrillex is the last thing I would listen to, I would listen to stan. If you catch my point

Archived