• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton gives the nod to Stephen Hill, mentions Corey Brown.

top dawg

Personally I think that it's way too early for excitement and guesswork over the depth chart at any position, much less WR, but I suppose that people the Huddle is busting out out of the cabin like an airbag at the moment of impact of post draft anticipation and subjective prognostication.  So, for what it's worth, ESPN's Dave Newton's first write-up after the start of OTAs is worth it's grain of salt also.  Though admittedly noting that Corey Brown had a decent showing today, Newton was most impressed by Stephen Hill.  Newton noted that Hill's over-the-shoulder catch from Derek Anderson that led to a TD after Hill blew by the protection down field received the biggest reaction of the day from Cam Newton and others.  

David Newton also noted something that Panthers fans, who have perhaps been spoiled by little big man, Steve Smith, may not necessarily want to hear, and that's that size does matter when it comes to determining who will get the nod on game days (especially, all other things being equal).

He took full advantage, making big play after big play.

He wasn’t alone. Brown also made at least two deep catches, one that also got a congratulatory sprint from Newton.

But what Hill has that Brown doesn’t is size to go along with great speed. Brown is 5-foot-11. Hill is 6-4 and 215 pounds.

Ricky Proehl sounds excited also, noting that if Hill can show consistency, then he will be in the mix to not only play on the opposite side of Kelvin Benjamin, but also back up Benjamin if that were ever to become necessary.  Hill is still humble and knows that he has a long way to go, much like all of the receivers and potential receivers who will make up the Panthers' 2015 receiving corps. But it's nice to see the competition get off to a nice start for two receivers that so many Huddlers believe have the most promise outside of Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess.

Classic David Newton, jumping on the hype machine. Voth and Igo both thought Philly was the best wideout today, and Newton just "mentions" him and says he had a "decent" showing. The thing I'm most excited about is Philly gaining 10 pounds AND speed, somehow. Performances now really don't mean anything at all, but to gain 10 pounds and be faster than last season is huge.

Maybe it was just me but anytime brown got any real playing time, he was the 2nd best reciver on the team....not close.

​Yeah, I think a few of us feel that way.  It's just crazy to me that some people thought he wasn't going to make the team this year.

Dude didn't get much playing time at all last year between the injuries and the fact he had Avant and Cotchery ahead of him on the depth chart early in the season.  If he fixes those body catches he can be something special for a UDFA.

Classic David Newton, jumping on the hype machine. Voth and Igo both thought Philly was the best wideout today, and Newton just "mentions" him and says he had a "decent" showing. The thing I'm most excited about is Philly gaining 10 pounds AND speed, somehow. Performances now really don't mean anything at all, but to gain 10 pounds and be faster than last season is huge.

​Well he kinda mentions why he's more hyped for Hill. Hill's got the height and weight that Corey doesn't have. 

​Well he kinda mentions why he's more hyped for Hill. Hill's got the height and weight that Corey doesn't have. 

I know hill has all the measurables and im hoping he becomes a stud but browm just has "it" in my eyes and its been my experience that "it" gets the job done.

​Yeah, I think a few of us feel that way.  It's just crazy to me that some people thought he wasn't going to make the team this year.

Dude didn't get much playing time at all last year between the injuries and the fact he had Avant and Cotchery ahead of him on the depth chart early in the season.  If he fixes those body catches he can be something special for a UDFA.

​from the vine videos and voth video it seemed like corey was making silky smooth hand catches. he looked like a vet.

he hangs with KB on the outside and I think this guy knows he has a golden opportunity to make some cash. I remember watching his OSU highlights (i know its highlights but there were a ton) and thinking how in the hell did this guy not get drafted? acrobatic catches, speed, agility and not even a 7th round pick? made no sense whatsoever.

​from the vine videos and voth video it seemed like corey was making silky smooth hand catches. he looked like a vet.

he hangs with KB on the outside and I think this guy knows he has a golden opportunity to make some cash. I remember watching his OSU highlights (i know its highlights but there were a ton) and thinking how in the hell did this guy not get drafted? acrobatic catches, speed, agility and not even a 7th round pick? made no sense whatsoever.

​Yeah, Philly was by far my favorite UDFA by far last season after the draft (hell, I liked him better than a couple of our picks actually).  I just felt like he was going to end up making an impact for us.  Sure enough, he did.

That's always a long shot with any UDFA, but like you said, the dude looked like he should've been drafted and just fell through the cracks.  I think Gettleman remarked at some point mid-season that he couldn't believe Philly was still there after the draft and that he had a 3rd round grade on him.  I guess he just fell victim to that monster WR draft class last year.

Archived