• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton vs Ryan; the verdict?

CelibatePimp

This is an article looking at which QBs you'd take before considering JJ Watt as more impactful for your team. Newton is ranked 6th when asked which QB you'd like to start a team with (omitting QBs 35 and over). Ryan is 7th. According to the article, after Newton, you better take JJ Watt over Ryan.  

For me, the "Watt Demarcation Point" is between Newton and Ryan.

Ryan is the better player right now, but I'm not willing to overlook Newton's superior physical gifts. If his career plays out in a best-case scenario, Newton can conceivably surpass every quarterback on the list save Rodgers and Luck.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495734/article/jj-watt-vs-the-best-qbs-who-is-more-valuable

If his career plays out in a best-case scenario, Newton can conceivably surpass every quarterback on the list save Rodgers and Luck.

Lol, what?  It's a big IF, but IF his career does play out in best case scenario and he reaches his full potential... yes, he's surpassing those guys too.  There's never been a quarterback in history as physically gifted as he is.

It's interesting that although there numbers are remarkably similar, it's always just been a given in the media that Luck is and always will be the better player over Newton. 

Its baffling. 

​Because Luck was more pro ready than Cam.

And advanced stats from PFF and FO will bear out that he's had better years so far than Cam.

Passing wise, anyway.

It's interesting that although there numbers are remarkably similar, it's always just been a given in the media that Luck is and always will be the better player over Newton. 

Its baffling. 

Dalton has better numbers than Cam passing but he's mostly an afterthought in the QB conversation. It goes beyond numbers sometimes. 

Well you know Luck was anointed before he stepped on an NFL field and Cam was supposed to be a bust and well the media just doesn't like to be wrong about such things...

Plus there are a few other differences I can SEE between the two that might sway opinions... 

​Because Luck was more pro ready than Cam.

And advanced stats from PFF and FO will bear out that he's had better years so far than Cam.

Passing wise, anyway.

​Also, it's notable that Cam has had inferior weapons and a constantly rotating offensive line, while Luck has had Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton! Even after all that, Newton's QB rating is 85.4 vs. Luck at 86.6. Let's see how Newton does with an improved O line and upgraded receiving targets this year. I bet it will be even closer. There will always be a bias against Cam Newton for some reason. Even if he wins a championship people like Adam Shine will say, "Cam Newtin" won because of his team!

In their first 4 years, Cam has about 17k total yards and 115 total TD's.  Ryan has about 14.5k total yards and 95 Total TD's.  Ryan has had a more complete offense for the majority of his years as well.  To me the argument isn't even close.  Newton > Ryan.

Why wouldnt Newton be better than Luck in a best-case scenario? Surely his physical gifts way surpasses those of Andrew Luck.

​In that case, you're asking the media to throw away EVERY ONE of their pre-conceived biases with regard to both Luck and Newton.

Do you really think they'd ever do that?

Archived